The Corroboree
random

Is it possible to buy an acre of Australia for under $10,000?

I was wondering if anyone knows if it was still possible in the year 2011 to buy around an acre of bush somewhere for under $10,000 ?

Preferably less than five hours from Adelaide :P

I think that's probably going to be pushing it, but you might get lucky.

There should be an online real estate website for your area.

Out of curiosity, what would you do with it? Not all land can be developed.

We had a thread maybe 3 years ago now, discussing cheap land. From memory, yes, under $10K was possible. But I don't think it was a serviced block.

Chuck "cheap land australia" into google, I haven't had a thorough look but the first half a dozen hits look like they may get your search started.

There is a place near me called North Arm Cove, found this little write up

North Arm Cove

At the end of World War I proposals were made for the development of the area as a major industrial port city ('the New York of Australia'). Walter Burley Griffin, responsible for the layout of Canberra, put forward one design. When his company went into liquidation wealthy realtor Henry F. Halloran bought up the land and subdivided it in expectation of the sales and the linkage of the 'city' to the main railway line but nothing came of the proposal. Today it is a very attractive little settlement amidst forest on the shore of Port Stephens. The Aboriginal name for the point was Weepi.

This zoning is prior to an Urban Zoning.

Non urban zoning does not allow a dwelling to be constructed on the land.

The Great Lakes Council have no timetable at all to re-zone this land. Sometime in the future it will be rezoned but nobody has any time frame. You can camp on the land (or caravan)

866sqm $6000

pretty cheap but an acre for under 10000 you might need to know someone or buy in bulk :lol:

Wow thanks for speedy responses. Thanks will check out the forum again, must've used wrong words in my previous search. What would I do on it? I would camp on it, plant trees and eventually live there, whether services were available or not. :)

If i had the money...

I would camp on it, sow seeds and plant plants, landscape, become self sufficient and create my own forest dedicated to the conservation of native and rare botanical plants and cacti in regulations with the restrictions. Then when the moratorium is lifted or changed build according to regulations, watch it value over time.

and when my plants seed, distribute them freely throughout the community.

retire in a beautifully conserved natural world with thriving flora and fauna for following generations to enjoy

• Like 7

Wow Ethen, you got me looking at real estate for North Arm Cove. There's some incredible deals there. Don't have the money for any of the places above an acre, but it got me thinking about a communal property, set aside for camping and growing plants. Would be amazing.

me too im inspired now cant belive how cheap them blocks are, i think i need a holiday block :-) north arm cove here i come

Well i'm glad i showed it to you guys, Noshiewa if you do get a block I will be happy to be the caretaker while you're not on holiday :lol:

No doubt that you can. You might not have water or power or a road. But im 100% you can

how does the council keep record of how long you're staying(camping) for? time sheets,

I knew there must have been some loop hole to hit you up for utilities and land rates, but surely an even bigger loop hole would be owning more then one block lets say 4 1100sq/m making up your acre and camping on each one a different night.

Edit; just saw Eatfoo's post, i am also sure you can i have visited there and seen a caravan dwelling which looks to have been on the property for over two years and pot plants/signs of gardening (signs of life)

Edited by Ethen

isnt it about 25000K or less for a cave at coober pedy, man i would love to go opal hunting one day, some people who dig the houses for themselves strike opals and get a free house.

Coober Pedy is a shit hole! :P not really but it can get ridiculously hot!! And who wants to spend all summer underground, not me. But you're right its awesome if you catch the opal bug and plenty of people live in caravans there while trying to strike it lucky :)

Good to know the technicalities and fine print of owning land there. Land that cheap, that close to Sydney, has to have a catch. Really does detract from it, espeially not even being able to have friends camping on the property legally.

i was very desperate to buy "cheap land" aswell, and thought, it doesn't matter wher it is, as long as i can do my own thing, but i was wrong.

don't buy anything that is isolated and where there is no infra structure, unless this new place is just a place you visit once in a while, and you have an other home you can live in.

if you buy a place far away from the shops and society, you will go crazy very fast.

i allways dreamed of having my own place since childhood, and i succeeded with this, but i was very, very lucky, that the town i bought into, turned out to be much better than, the standard i was initialy willing to settle for.

my advice is, don't buy cheap land if it's isolated, you will go crazy, and than you want to sell it, and nobody will buy it from you.

much better to spend a bit more money and to be close to proper amenities!

land is still quite cheap where i live, close to rockhampton.

online real estate sites are realy helpfull, in this respect.

• Like 1

There is a place near me called North Arm Cove, found this little write up

North Arm Cove

At the end of World War I proposals were made for the development of the area as a major industrial port city ('the New York of Australia'). Walter Burley Griffin, responsible for the layout of Canberra, put forward one design. When his company went into liquidation wealthy realtor Henry F. Halloran bought up the land and subdivided it in expectation of the sales and the linkage of the 'city' to the main railway line but nothing came of the proposal. Today it is a very attractive little settlement amidst forest on the shore of Port Stephens. The Aboriginal name for the point was Weepi.

This zoning is prior to an Urban Zoning.

Non urban zoning does not allow a dwelling to be constructed on the land.

The Great Lakes Council have no timetable at all to re-zone this land. Sometime in the future it will be rezoned but nobody has any time frame. You can camp on the land (or caravan)

866sqm $6000

pretty cheap but an acre for under 10000 you might need to know someone or buy in bulk :lol:

We did a doof here once....

Recommended Solutions 3 in 2005. The owner of a nearby property was the original location, but he wanted us to enter accross a river. This meant ferrying across everyone 2 or 3 at a time!!!! fuck that..... anyway, once we went to have a look we just decided to renagade it on the Nth Arm Cove side of the river.... Was a great site. The owner of the land busted us during the day with 400+ doofers doofing out and she was sooooo impressed that we had actually found a use for the land. She wanted us to buy it off her right there and then with the money off the door. Nothing came of it tho.....

Couldn't that be the best reason there is to buy cheap land? Permanent doof location... :)

i would love to buy a block of land...

but why should i pay council money and bs made up fairy tail fees and bills ?

they don't fucking own it.

and then you cant even do what you want with it.

a permit just to camp on your own land you brought ? i call it fucking extortion.

under common law its illegal.

any law that conflicts with common law is illegal under the commonwealth constitution.

• Like 3

Tell that to the judge though... I hear they have the tendency to laugh at common law.

The "free man on the land" thread proves that :P

7baz wrote

Posted Today, 07:55 AM

Yeah true, same, but I still wanna live somewhere where I can have my friggin chooks, grow my plants and let my dog run around and the city just doesn't do it for me :(

I'll live there in an unpowered caravan feral style LOL if I have to. (Anyone here into stinky unwashed girls? nah, didnt think so)

Still looking for blocks, I did found some but bit over price range, but sure to find something eventually if I can get a bit more money together. In the meantime I'll keep looking :) .

• Like 1

and then you cant even do what you want with it.

a permit just to camp on your own land you brought ? i call it fucking extortion.

under common law its illegal.

any law that conflicts with common law is illegal under the commonwealth constitution.

You shouldn't need a permit if the property is outside of council boundaries.

The "free man on the land" thread proves that :P

The judge who got civilly arrested didn't appear to be laughing. :P

• Like 1

Someone I know bought a property and got a little kit home built on it. He lived there for about 7 years or something, gradually improving the place, first with water plumbing, then a toilet, then gas etc. Eventually he got it to the stage where he could get a certificate of occupancy and legally live there. Of course, as soon as he got the certificate, he sold the place :lol:

I don't think you're likely to have any problems if you're 'camping' somewhere permanently, though it's at your own risk if you test that hypothesis :P