The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Illustro

Boldo

I was given some sprigs of boldo yesterday, and told it was a highly revered herb used in South America for tea's/mate's, and that it was used alot with Yerba mate infusions - I had never heard of it before, and a search of this site returned only ~10 hits.

Anywho, so today I minced up about 14-20 leaves and made a tea, not expecting anything much after all that I had been told and read was that it was good for digestion and liver function, well about 1hr later I noticed that I had a subtle but noticeable stimulated feeling, kind of like what you would get from a cup of black tea, but less energizing and more 'fluffy', with some slight mood elevation. After doing more research, I found out it is reported to have some stimulatory effect; interesting.. I'm not sure if it was the boldo that I was feeling, or just placebo; either way though, the reported medicinal properties are profound and very real, it is definitely worth looking at.

It is a member of the Laurales order, and has very aromatic leaves, they smell really quite nice, the tea made my whole room smell of this kind of strangely delectable weak petrol & camphor-esque aroma. The tea was subtle and different, a tiny bit astringent, a tad bitter, but refreshing and nice, immediately after drinking it, I wanted more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boldo

Edited by Illustro Verum

very much an acquired taste. kinda like epazote. but i did used to put it into my mate as it adds an interesting flavour.