The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
eccles

Groffonia simplicifolia (5-HTP bearing)

in my readings I just came across a reference to the seeds of a West African plant called Griffonia simplicifolia. They apparently contain not less than 95% 5-HTP by dry weight. I find this most interesting, and would like to know more about this plant, the availability of seeds and whether we could grow it here. The 5-HTP can be extracted in alchohol and then recrystalized to purify it. If it was possible to grow this plant then that would be a nice source for a useful (and legal) compound.

It is not listed in 'Species Data', but I am sure I would not be alone in my desire to see it offered by SAB... (I realise it is probably not a shamanically used plant - although I do not know this for sure, but if we can have non-assayed Acacia's listed then we can have a 5-HTP bearing plant listed too :P

Anyway, I am off to try to find out more about this...

In the meantime - does anyone know anything about it? Would there be regulations prohibiting its import? lots of interesting plants are banned imports...

see you all at EB smile.gif

Have you tried a search of the forums under it's name Griffonia? I believe some discussion has taken place on it here before, though whether it was lost during the forum crashes I don't know...

Guest HedgeWitch

Hi Eccles,

Griffonia simplicifolia seeds are avalable from www.richters.com for about $12.70AU.

This is what they say about it:

Tender Perennial

Uses: medicinal industrial

Anti-depression herb from Africa. Seeds are an important source of the amino acid 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), a precursor for the natural synthesis of serotonin in the body. Serotonin is a brain neurotransmitter that directly affects depression and other conditions. Griffonia extracts are used to treat depression, insomnia, obesity, jet lag, anxiety, fibromyalgia and obsessive-compulsive behaviour. Studies show that the effect of 5-HTP on depression isdramatic. In weight control, 5-HTP removes the craving for carbohydrates by boosting serotonin levels in the same way that eating excessive carbohydrates does. The seeds are also a source for lectins used in medical science. In African folklore, the herb is reputed to be an aphrodisiac, as well as an antibiotic and as a remedy for diarrhea, vomiting, and stomachache. Attractive, easy to grow vine, in full or partial sun.

and this is what AQIS (Quarantine)say about Griffonia:

Non-commercial consignments of seed of this species may be permitted entry into Australia subject to inspection on arrival. Seed must be free from soil, live insects, plant material (eg fruit pulp, leaf or stem material, etc), contamination with prohibited seeds and packed in new containers that are clearly labelled with the botanical name.

Their search site is: http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon/asp/ex_querycontent.asp

Hope this helps

Cheers

My supplier told me he also supplies richters. I have never been able to germinate any of mine and have a couple of kilos sitting here. 'easy to grow'.... my foot.

[This message has been edited by Andrew (edited 20 February 2002).]