The Corroboree
cactuscarl

anti depression and energy herbs ?

Ok I've just got over a very rough patch in my life which started about 2 years ago with my sister talking her own life which left me shatter. It was also very hard on my girlfriend of 5 years and we broke up about 6 months later, that left me with full blown depression. For the next year i worked my way through it drug free and am feeling a lot better can actually talk about it. I don't feel depressed anymore but i don't feel the same i have very low energy and can't find enjoyment in much ie work as i used to. Even things that are supposed to be fun ie drinking just don't do it

So I'm looking for some herbs that i can take on a daily basis to boost my energy levels and help with very mild depression any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Check out Rhodiola rosea, there's a wiki page on it which is a good place to start. Someone attached a pretty long review paper on adaptogens recently, in a thread somewhere. Probably in the pharmacology forum at a guess.

If you're after something more instant, drink lots of tea.

chinese medicinal herb gotu kola is good for increasing energy and improves cognitive function, snt johhn's wort wort has really helped me through some tough times too, but it is only effective if taken regularly.

i think also its very important to eat lots of fresh veges and fruit so you are getting all the raw enzymes and mineral, exersize helps too!

Rhodiola Rosea is ok but its a MAO inhibitor and I found that my tolerance to it grew very quickly.

Id check out a herbal mix with Dang shen, rehmannia glutinosa, peony bark and astralagus. I think its called a 'kidney tonic' but it works wonders for elevating low-mojo moods.

Ginseng aint half bad either.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

ayurveda-where its at :)

Ashwaghanda is a pretty nice herb as well. Great antiinflammatory if your in pain (your not, but worth mentioning).

Sceletium gives you a little kick in your step as well.

Sceletium gives you a little kick in your step as well.

I dont know shit from my elbow, but from what ive read/heard scelly is not great (or advisable) for those on anti depressants.

Please excuse tard spelling

Was this guy on SSRIs? if so then both of my suggestions should be avoided if already on SSRIs.

Hi Carl,

I empathisis with your situation. My girlfriends brother commited suicide about 3 years ago. Was a very rough time for us as we had just recovered from a long bout of medical problems. I wont go into to much detail but some things that have helped me. Sports are a must and travel. Regualr sleeping times, don't sleep in all the time or stay up late all the time. Keep close with family members. Some suppliments that helped-

B vitamins for energy.

MJ (medical of course)

Mucana Priens - L-Dopa for more energy.

Tongkat Ali (LJ100 is the only way to go) this stuff makes you man again, real man.

I am just starting out on 5HTP and GABA, but these look promising for mood, may make you drowsy tho.

Edited by Slybacon

it is absolutely rediculous to recommend marijuana to someone who suffers from depression/anxiety. IMO.

I have to agree with you incog.

Curing depression isn't about new things to take but changing your outlook.

Regular exercise is extremely helpful as well as re-enforcing social bonds.

Also no-one ever drinks to be happy, people drink to forget. Alcohol isn't a mood elevator, it's a mood enhancer.

You say your energy levels are problematic.. i'd say your mood effects your energy before your energy effects your mood.

two words

regular exercise.

• Like 1

it is absolutely rediculous to recommend marijuana to someone who suffers from depression/anxiety. IMO.

Without MJ there is NOOOOO WAY, I could of delt with some of the things I have delt with. Each to there own of course, there are much harsher prescriptions out there and everyone is different. There are some people I wouldn't recommend take it. It is worth exploriring and keeping an open mind. Sometimes is good to go against the taboo. All the best

EDIT> Active lifstyle is by far the best treatment. Sport helped me immensly. Surfing is such a great anti depressant. Nothing comes close to a winter surf on an uncrouded break on a sunny day. Heaven.

Edited by Slybacon

I wouldnt say "absolutely rediculous". But probs not a great idea

Hi Carl

For energy my suggestion is Siberian Ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus).

Get the Mediherb brand liquid extract from a naturopath/herbalist dispensary in a health food store.

Running in the morning or evening is good. It seems like the last thing you want to do when your waking up in a warm bed or getting home from work, but it is such a satifying feeling afterwards, specially whn you get home and find your flatmate all fragile holding a coffee while you feel like you can climb a mountain. The first couple of times you actually feel high on your own brain chemistry. Highly recommended.

i found passionflower to be a pretty good mood booster when i started drinking it in a tea some months ago. doesn't work so well now maybe i've got used to it.

+1 for exercise

-1 for weed (for me anyway)

Running in the morning or evening is good. It seems like the last thing you want to do when your waking up in a warm bed or getting home from work, but it is such a satifying feeling afterwards, specially whn you get home and find your flatmate all fragile holding a coffee while you feel like you can climb a mountain. The first couple of times you actually feel high on your own brain chemistry. Highly recommended.

You are getting high on your own brain chemistry! :) Exercise releases endorphins, seratonin, dopamine and adrenaline. Marathon runners can actually suffer withdrawls if they stop their training regime, those joggers you may see at 5am are running to get their next fix.

It's a hell of a lot easier for me to tell you to exercise than for me to actually exercise myself though.

The real aim of the game is simply to distract yourself though.

joggers you may see at 5am are running to get their next fix.

I would hate to be addicted to that, but its gotta be better than other addictions.

It's a hell of a lot easier for me to tell you to exercise than for me to actually exercise myself though.

Its only thinking about doing it that is hard, once you actually do it you feel great and wonder why it was so hard to actually do it in the first place.

Very Under Rated Anti Depressant = DOG

If you have the time and space a dog can bring soooooo much joy to your life. And its a good encouragement to excersise. Statiscally dog owners live longer and are more happy, no other animal has evolved to share lifes with us quite like the dog. You could even say we may not be where we are today without him.

StickInMouth.jpg

Our Newest family member - How could that not bring joy to your life

Little Fact- Dog Owners have high levels of Oxytocin (love Drug) than non dog owners

Edited by Slybacon
  • Like 1

Active lifstyle is by far the best treatment. Sport helped me immensly. Surfing is such a great anti depressant. Nothing comes close to a winter surf on an uncrouded break on a sunny day. Heaven.

WORD !

i had severe depression and anxiety when i decided to first use weed, best thing i ever did.

Hi Guys, you gotta stop promoting illegal drugs! Not sure if you have a similar law in Australia but in germany, its a felony to give advice that would cause someone to commit an illegal action. Please choose your words wisely when you write about plants that are on the list and edit your posts accordingly. Btw, when i was still a smoking teenager back in the days, MJ usually caused very severe anxiety attacks and outbreaks of my OCD so im not sure if that Advice would work for most people anyway. I definately believe it can help SOME people but the bigger part would probably rather find it counterproductively. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius