The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bit

Miniatures Garden

So I have recently acquired a couple of interesting "stone" cacti, so I thought I'd try my hand at something a bit different. Hopefully these will stay in this garden for a 3 years minimum, and don't mind sharing light/watering conditions. I chose these plants to put together due to their growth rates and similarities - I am trying to avoid one of those stupid store/layman arranged gardens with a tricho in one corner and a tiny grusonii in the other or something.

These are all fairly rare/collectable plants in NZ, and I have San P to thank for the Turb's, and a bit of luck with the Asterias. I'm also quite fond of the dish - it's nice and uneven when you look closely.

I have some schist stone ordered to use as topping decoration - not sure how this will look but if that fails some grey gravel will suffice until I find something better. Obviously I have a bit of work to do to tidy them up (small paintbrush will help). Will update when the topping decoration arrives :)

_MG_6088.jpg

_MG_6091.jpg

Turbinicarpus polaskii

_MG_6095.jpg

Turbinicarpus polaskii

_MG_6092.jpg

Turbinicarpus ysabelae

_MG_6094.jpg

Astropytum asterias Super Kabuto

_MG_6093.jpg

Edited by bit

Very nice, will be cool to see them fill out.

I like group plantings like this.

Wow, T. polaskii is sweeeet!

Do you have access to more bonsai pots/dishes?

Good selection, Bit! I especially like the Astrophytum! Its definately a good way to make great plants look ever better. And there are so many other possible candidates like Ariocarpus, Copiapoia or one of the funky looking Astro Crosses. Would also be a good way to make a nice crest or mutant shine even more. bye Eg

theres some gorgeous little cacti in there. a. asterias is in my top 10,,

i remember in another post someone here had a similar setup with lophs in a broad flat pot like that,

and there was a question about adequate drainage. you're probably got that sorted but just thought i'd mention it,

saw turb in the cactus shop at the markets today, was gonna buy it but saved my money, maybe i should've they're really cool little plants

nice! thats a brilliant little combo you got there, hope they all take off for you.

i would be sparse with the watering though as we found group plantings hold moisture for alot longer.

we have just started making our own ceramic pots, it gets really interesting when you start making a custom pot for a particular plant! limitless possibilities :)

Thanks all.

I haven't added any extra drainage to the planter - it has two reasonable sized holes underneath. I considered a layer of stones to aid drainage, but decided the nutrients (and depth given these are tap rooters) with having the extra soil outweighed the benefit of the drainage.

The mix is good though, plenty of pumice (coro cacti mix). I intend to hold back on all water while the night temps are below 10 deg C. After this I will water as I do my other plants - regularly, making sure the soil has dried out between waterings.

Edited by bit

tomorrow il do a photo of a lil cactus in a lil bonsai dish.. the dish is approx 10 times smaller then yours lol

must say that looks awesome :)

God, I love super kabutos. Your little one is very pretty.

Thanks for sharing!

Looks cool - be careful with the Turbinicarpus in the sun though, some of mine went purple like that and then got burned in only a day or so once the direct sun went on them..

Good work

zahsone