The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Eluna

Cuzcoensis or Peruv?

Question

So ive got this lovely peruv :) *update* no, its a cuzcoensis! :P

2i21taf.jpg

BUT, i was wondering what these are? I know they are a bit unhealthy, but it doesnt matter.. I was wondering.. They were sold as peruvianus but im wondering what they actually are?

The one on the right is some pachanoi, the white bright color is the moisture reflecting from the flash as i took the pictures at night

2djb7th.jpg

and heres a close up

vgl7o7.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

Edited by Eluna

They're T. cuzcoensis.

Thanks for the quick reply!

the cuttings in the bottom pics i think are the "aussie knuthianus"

^^^ second that

True that. Top is cuzcoensis, bottom are knuthianus.

That top plant does not look like a Tricho. I'm pretty sure it's a Stenocereus.

What makes you say that?

there does seem to be notches right in the centre between two areoles... as opposed to directly above... hmmm

The overall form is odd. The spines are the best telltale - no peruvian tricho has bone-white spines in that radial layout like that, especially the double long spine.

Hard to explain exactly, it just doesn't look like one based on my experience with hundreds of trichs in the last few years.

Edited by bit

I agree the old spine growth doesnt look like a Tricho but if its a Stenocereus, it has to be a very rare one. Its probably one of the lesser known columnar cacti. Couldnt it just be an atypical Stetsonia Coryne? Though i have to admit that the young growth doesnt fit for that one either.

Edited by Evil Genius

i thought the same thing as bit concerning the 2nd picture in the 1st post. However, i thought it looked like an echinocereus.

Did i mention i suck at IDing cacti :)

Did i mention i suck at IDing cacti

:lol: Time will change that soon. Its like an addiction...math excercises for botanists. Echinocereus are a lot smaller and they dont have such strong spines either.

those aussie knuthians sure can have a tendancy to attract scale and turn to shite IMO.

It really just looks like a dehydrated cuzcoensis to me. In my experience, they do have bone white spines like that on old growth, and yellow-translucent spines on new growth, just like that pup has.

True that. Top is cuzcoensis, bottom are knuthianus.

I 2nd that.

It really just looks like a dehydrated cuzcoensis to me. In my experience, they do have bone white spines like that on old growth, and yellow-translucent spines on new growth, just like that pup has.

I'm with him. It's T. cuscoensis. I've seen spines like that before, especially on old growth!

Maybe it is just a product of the flash, the striking white that is. The moisture on the pach and knuth cuttings showed up as that silver so i assume any white surface would have reflected back a bit of light making it seem a brighter white, just look at the pebbles in the pot!

Incog, i agree wit ya about tha scale, although here scale digs the old standard pc pach more than knuth. I was scale free until i got sent a cutting of a "mystery tricho" from the free trade thread here. Fuckin thing wasnt even a tricho, just some spiney spachy lookin thing and it was covered in scale, i should have turfed it but now i bear the burden that is scale.

I might go back thru that free trade thread and haunt whoever sent me that god forsaken piece of crap!

Did i mention i suck at IDing cacti

:lol: Time will change that soon. Its like an addiction...math excercises for botanists. Echinocereus are a lot smaller and they dont have such strong spines either.

i mean echinosis :wacko:

Couldnt it just be an atypical Stetsonia Coryne? Though i have to admit that the young growth doesnt fit for that one either.

I think you're right. It is a Stetsonia Coryne. If you google you will find young stetsonia growth that looks like this one.

I am now 100% positive it is not a Trich. Find me a tricho with a long double central like this has, and I'll happily eat a grusonii.

Michael - your thoughts?

Edited by bit

I think better photos are in order. I can't even make out the real colour of the new spine growth. Information regarding growth habit of the mother would also be useful.

From what little I've seen of Stetsonia Coryne, it seems to me that it grows all or most of its spines as soon as the areole emerges, and they are quickly at full length. Also, it appears to get glaucous as times goes on (this specimen doesn't seem to be glaucous at all).

Whereas in my experience with cuzcoensis plants, the emergent areole does not contain all the spines, and one or more spines will emerge later. The spines also continue to grow in length as more areoles emerge.

Judging from the photo, it looks like the old growth has more spines of a longer length than the newer growth.

But still, something seems off about that cactus. The colour mostly.

I absolutely agree we need some more pics to say for sure. Especially from the new growth and the spine tips. But i have strong reason to believe it could really be Stetsonia Coryne. If you compare the spines to the one on the pic i found on the net, you can see that it has the same two middle spines pointing up and downwards. And it has the rounded areoles. Plus it can look a lot like a Trichocereus the older it gets. Especially like Cuzcoensis if you ask me.

post-1140-0-44948300-1310129534_thumb.jp

post-1140-0-44948300-1310129534_thumb.jpg

post-1140-0-44948300-1310129534_thumb.jpg

Edited by Evil Genius

I'm gonna go with T. cuzceoensis as well. The pup pretty much gives it away for me. The main section is a bit dehydrated and that might cause some confusion in the ID, but the double centrals is something I noticed can be fairly common on mature T. cuzcoensis.

~Michael~

I still don't think it's cuzco :P

I will concede that we need better pictures. and OP needs to water it a bit more. Pup doesn't look anything like a healthy cuzco pup imo.

At least we all agree that it's not a peruvianus at least? (Sorry Eluna). :)

Alright. so your saying out of the 3, the top one isnt a peruv?