The Corroboree
bℓσωηG

Amanita muscaria in WA??

A wee bit lonely this one , i have never before seen them in WA , so was wondering has anyone else seen them over here , are they fairly sparse?

27062011004.jpg

27062011001.jpg

Edited by bℓσωηG

wat the fuck do you mean western australia ?????

there was only the first report of some found in manjimup not to long ago

other than that they've never been found here in w.a. before

where the fuck dd you find this guy

Here's a good journal to read: http://australasianmycology.com/pages/pdf/29/1/4.pdf

Looks like you may have found a pretty random specimen. Over on my side in VIC, NSW & TAS they grow like a weed. All of the Pinus Radiata plantations are absolutely full of them.

e.g.

dsc02098c.th.jpg

They also sometimes have some tasty long-stem subs:

dsc02101lj.th.jpg

Edited by TheExplorer

Nice find, that'd be the 3rd report in 3 years now. At this rate it won't take long till they are abundant. Another psychoactive mushy in W.A., yay!

Nice find, that'd be the 3rd report in 3 years now. At this rate it won't take long till they are abundant. Another psychoactive mushy in W.A., yay!

Keep your eyes peeled naja naja, i found this one very very close to where you are... in the pines...i left it where it was and will check next month if any more have come up.. invasive / non native they may be, but they have a vacant niche amongst the invasive / non native trees that have replaced native forests.. radiata pines galore here . Ha and i was just thinking about getting myself a viking helmet :P

oh what!!!!! Thats amazing! Im heading down there right now!!! The hunt is on :worship:

No I wouldn't, as spores can travel world wide. Who's to say it wasn't "meant" to happen in the sceme of evolution. I understand wat u r saying. I would be dead against most non native weeds. I just seem to find useful ones less intrusive. It is similar iIMO to spawning logs or cultivating any mushroom outside of it's home range. The risk is there, how do we know which fungi are natiove and which ones not? It;s one of those things I guess, but just a personal opinion. And I have dealt with nature conservation since I was born. It's is engrained into me. I just don't have the same bias towards any fungi as I do to plants and animals. I love making use of weeds, I treat them like wild food or medicine. It's kinda hard to imagine not being able to rub sum lambs ear on a mozzie bite. In a way, I have kinda learnt to love certain weed/non native species where they cause minimal damage. Look at the deliberate stocking of our lakes and river Australia wide with trout. Surely they would ccause more ecological damage. I don't want a debate, it's just my opinion and I would have been jst as happy had it not have happened either.

3rd? i know there was one in manjimup. Where was the 2nd sighting?

its actually the 4th sighting. There have been 2 sightings in manjimup. one on private land and a group of 10 friutbodies found on public land

People would be more concerned if Amanitas weren't psychoactive.

I just think it's sad when the drug content of plants leads to environmental impact, destruction, and/or thoughtlessness

People ringing wattles and destroying the phlebs at Mt Buffalo are things that have happened when drugs are involved

Im just saying the right and moral thing to do would be to:

Alert the dept of conservation to the location of any Amanitas found.

If you found another non-native and non-psychoactive fungus that wasn't found in WA that's what you would do right?

I tend to agree

however there is a big distinction here between weedy plants and weedy fungi: fungi travel much further and much faster than plants do because they have spores.

It's very surprising that A. muscaria is not already more common in WA given that it is common on the east coast. I really don't think that much can be done to control it. While it is worthwhile notifying DEC from a scientific perspective, I don't think they will even try to do anything about it.

I hope that no one on this forum would actively spread this species or other non-native and invasive species

But at the same time I think the most parsimonious response to this one is to get out bush and enjoy taking some photos of these fungi. No point crying over spilt milk, particularly when there is no way to clean it up.

...Well a month on with the full moon i ventured for a look with my camera phone thinking id at least see one other newly emerged Amanita ,

but to my eye goggling surprise not far off in a section of bush i didnt search last time there were about 20 mature Amanitas with already upturned caps and surprisingly few spots some with no visible spots at all is this common? I was thinking maybe they came with the Tassie bluegums which are growing alongside the pines... do they resemble Tasmanian strains? I studied a quantity of peeled skin hmmm... interusting

3.jpg

31.jpg

check the 5cent piece for size comparison

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

no thats not a big spot its bird crap lol

310.jpg

Edited by bℓσωηG

wow thats amazing i would LOVE to get some photos of these guys

i think its fairly common for older ones to lose thier spots

i think there have been 7 finds now. One being right in Perth

Nice one BT :)

I must find one of these :)

I want photos it's the most classic pictured mushroom I wanna see one hell bad haha

So i found these in the front garden were I put down alot of mushroom compost.(perth hills)

WP 000914thumb

Not 100% convinced the are A. Muscaria though as they are really small and the colouring has changed to yellow(after heavy rain though)

Will be keenly keeping an eye on these though in the coming weeks

nice one hard to say but definately looks like it could possibly them :)

i dont think it is a fly agaric. I think its the WA lookalike that starts with and X, cant remember the name at the moment

Ahh yes I remember seeing one of those locally yrs ago it was a yellow one :)

the photo is not enough to tell. the right one looks like it, even though the ring cannot be seen.

Could it be the edible red head A.crocea ? but the flakes tell muscaria...

one photo + no description = not enough

nice photo though ;)

I found a patch of 6 or so last year, but I never posted the pics (lazy... :( ).

Again, this year, they are in the same place -

post-1432-0-54152100-1340721864_thumb.jp post-1432-0-13297000-1340721878_thumb.jp

post-1432-0-54152100-1340721864_thumb.jpg

post-1432-0-13297000-1340721878_thumb.jpg

post-1432-0-54152100-1340721864_thumb.jpg

post-1432-0-13297000-1340721878_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

i dont think it is a fly agaric. I think its the WA lookalike that starts with and X, cant remember the name at the moment

yeah, think you are right there.

They are tiny, no were near big enough