The Corroboree
Khala

Found out my dog has cancer

Turns out my jack russell, my best friend for twelve years, has malignant cancer in his skin at the tailbone region. It's spreading quickly and he will only have a month or two, and definitely not to the end of the year, to live provided it isn't operated on, and even if it is he'll be shaved half of his body and his tail with a massive scar, and disabled for a few weeks. And there's a chance he'll die during surgery, and if they don't get it all it might happen all over again.

Worst feeling at the moment, just wanted to tell someone.

look up vitamin b17.

feed him some apricot seeds daily

dont ever give up hope.

• Like 1

Hi Khala, sorry to hear! I´d definately let them remove if the lymp nodes arent affected. Skin cancer is sometimes very healable. If he stays cancer free, he could have one or two very nice years. Im the type of person who would only euthanize a dog if theres no other way. In my opinion some vets euthanize too fast sometimes. Surely not in all cases but from what you wrote, i definately have some hope the dog might survive the operation. Good luck and all the best to your dog! bye Eg

My heart goes out to you. I have owned Dogs all my life and can empathise with your situation. It must have been great for you to share 12 long years with your best friend. 12 years is a long time to have for such a full spirited breed. Of all the breeds of dogs, I know JRT live every minute of everyday to the fullest. Its a hard thing to do and I wish you the best with whatever decision you make. Take Care

Ah man, sad news indeed. I really hope he can be saved, but if not, try to remember how good those 12 years have been with him. Everything has to pass at some point and the best we can do is to be thankful for what we have the time we have spent with those we love.

Booked him in for surgery Tuesday...scraped up and borrowed some money. It's mast cell cancer.

Thanks for your kind words, it really helps.

Khala, thats totally the right thing to do. You probably wouldnt forgive yourself if you wouldnt let them do the operation. In early Stages, Mastocytoma has an excellent prognosis. They should put him on antihistamines and prednisone to protect against the effects of histamine released from the tumor. Its probably genetic and has like 70 percent success rate in Stage 1 or 2. If the lymph nodes are effected, its prognosis is not good though. Im very happy you directly booked him for operation. If it cant be removed totally , the operation buys your dog some time at least. bye Eg

Sry to hear, I lost my dog a few years bacc now, very suddenly (snake bite) It was very sad indeed and I still feel her loss. I have a new dog, but I still miss my old one. She would most likely be passed now from old age, should she not have been bitten. I still remember my last pat, the night before. And every minute of trying to save her life. so many happy memories and only one sad one. I Wish u the best of luck. The only thing I am grateful for is I never had to make the hard descision of when too put her down.

Sending all my best vibes your dogs way.

hey khala, i am sorry about your dog. i wanted to share with you a story of hope and inspiration!

my dog recently had surgery to remove several malignant tumours from various parts of his body, such as his front legs and back. he is a ten year old labrador and my best friend :wub: . he lives with my parents as i can't have him in my city apartment, and after his diagnosis they decided to operate without my permission (or even telling me!). this made me very angry, i feel it was not their decision. at least they paid the bill...

anyway yes he was shaved and had to live inside for a few weeks with regular toilet outings with plastic bags on his feet. this was very annoying for my family and im sure uncomfortable for him, and it was very upsetting to hear him complain for several days i assume because he was in pain. though he was on fentanyl so maybe he was actually making happy noises! that's how i like to think of it. it was like he was snoring, but he was awake. it was weird. anyway he only did it for a couple of days.

anyway fast forward about a month to the present and he is making a strong recovery. most of his hair has grown back and he no longer has any bandages and is free to roam the yard without plastic bags. i think in a couple of weeks he will be back to normal, or perhaps even better if the cancer was affecting his wellbeing. hurray!

so yeah i wish you and your dog all the best, if things look grim remember there is light at the end of the proverbial.

Jack Russels are tough little buggers. He should be fine, hey. Dogs truly are mans/womans best friend. All the best for your buddy Khala. :)

thats terrible news, hope everything works out for you and yours

Edited by qualia

Hi Khala,

like many people who have posted already I love and have loved lots of animals - and it really hurts when something like this happens. in some ways its almost harder when animals close to you are sick. anyway I wish you and the little guy all the best. I have a special respect for people that care for their sick animals.

I am so sorry. In my dreams, though I have moved out and on with life, my family dog is still my girl.

I walk through dreams with Lacy. Even though I have a pug and boston terrier, now.

You will love dog forever. And I am so sorry...that they can't stay with us as they were.

Sounds like he'll be fine. Keep your chin up, Khala. Your best friend would want it that way. :wink: