The Corroboree
hutch

Ghost city appears above xin'an river

http://media.smh.com.au/news/world-news/ghostly-mirage-or-lost-city-2455229.html

First one I've seen where they've shown other footage of the river. However, it's clearly a different part of the river (or a different river?) and a different bridge.

Why are there no retractions from media outlets? Or perhaps a story justifying it as real considering all the attention?

abandoned

Edited by dworx
  • Like 1

It is uncritical thinking and acceptance of rumours that is the basis of the anti drug hysteria, witches burning, homophobia, racism and a whole host of other naties. As a culture we cannot move forward if we find infotainment [or should that be infotaintment as it is usually tainted] more interesting than facts or science. In an age where news is no longer delivered by journalists who are supposed to adhere to standards, but is spread by everyone with a computer, it is important we all take on the role of the journalist and vet articles for validity before passing them on - especially when posting in the news section rather than the chill space. It's not news if it is wrong.

• Like 4

It is uncritical thinking and acceptance of rumours that is the basis of the anti drug hysteria, witches burning, homophobia, racism and a whole host of other naties. As a culture we cannot move forward if we find infotainment [or should that be infotaintment as it is usually tainted] more interesting than facts or science. In an age where news is no longer delivered by journalists who are supposed to adhere to standards, but is spread by everyone with a computer, it is important we all take on the role of the journalist and vet articles for validity before passing them on - especially when posting in the news section rather than the chill space. It's not news if it is wrong.

Actually, if this thread didn't exist, I would still believe what I saw on the news. Now that may be stupid, but this thread has made me realise that I'm prone to believing media bullshit just as everyone else is. There has been no discussion like this within the media. No retractions, and I have not heard a mention of this topic since it was reported as fact. It is only because this thread was created that I actually thought about it at all. Clearly, the internet 'nuts' have done a better job of getting to the truth than the journos on this occasion, and I'm very glad this thread was created.

• Like 2

Clearly, the internet 'nuts' have done a better job of getting to the truth than the journos on this occasion, and I'm very glad this thread was created.

Even tho I doubted it from the beggining, I couldn't of said that better myself..... If we go around and make people feel bad for being interested no one will speak out due to fear of being ridiculed. So encourage all sorts of wacky posts, at least then the score can be set straight.

• Like 1

After reading this tripe on yahoo the other day it took me 10 seconds to find the aukiman link and the obvious explanation to this issue.

How many more seconds would it take to post said link?

It would make sense to post it IF you're keen on helping educate the fools instead of just ridiculing them.

Took me a few more seconds to find the the aukiman link

As an experiment in human gullibility it makes more sense in the news section, and the way the thread has carried out it's a good education on the power of suggestion and the need for critical thinking.

Edited by The Dude

Lesson985.jpg

I think this sums it up quite nicely.

I still want to believe it!

• Like 1

Thank god for rationality. I still think that this whole reality is a projection of sorts and that there may well be a possibility of witnessing another dimension intersecting with our own, or that sort of thing (whilst not on drugs). Who knows, I guess it's best to keep the reductive operating system loaded up lest others think you're gullible, or because you don't want an alternate reality (another dimension) to influence your own, I entertained the idea, I entertain a lot of ideas though. :wacko:

I entertained the idea, I entertain a lot of ideas though. :wacko:

And so you should.

How many more seconds would it take to post said link?

Undergrounder posted the link on page 1 [and I clearly referred to his post in my original comment] so why does it need to be posted again? :scratchhead:

Undergrounder posted the link on page 1 [and I clearly referred to his post in my original comment] so why does it need to be posted again? :scratchhead:

Yeah, my bad, I didn't know about "the aukiman link" until you mentioned it, nor did i see you clearly refer to his post in your original comment.

Another aspect to this, is that it highlights the extent to which stories are made up by the media. Every media outlet could only go by the small amount of footage, and what they thought it showed, along with one woman apparently saying that it looked like a fairyland. Yet each gave very different (and very specific) details, that they must have simply made up. Saying that locals think it's "from another dimension" or "from a vortex", or that 'scientists' say it's a mirage. They can't possibly have actually gotten this information anywhere, and provide no source. I think it's a good lesson for all of us, whether you believed it to begin with or not, about how much of the 'news' we are force-fed is fictionalised, or simply fabricated.

• Like 2