The Corroboree
Amazonian

Hitchhikers

My absolutely favorite loveable hitchhiking character is the lead in Tom Robbins book "Even cowgirls get the blues" a book I thoroughly recommend.

I remember watching the movie based off that book as a kid. One of my fonder memories is when the main character masturbates on the side of the road while waiting for a ride. :P

i see the irony xodarap, i see the logic i know the score and the reasons........it just must be one of those clown issues, you know how people have phobias of clown for no apparent reason when they instead are lovable larrikins, just cant help it though...i detest hitch-hikers for some reason but like beggars, it just doesnt make sense but thats the way life goes sometimes aint it, maybe my parents picked up a hitch-hiker when i was a toddler and had a threesome or something and i have regressed my hitchhiking fear somehow, then again hitch-hiking is illegal isnt it or frowned apon by society as a whole so realistically i probably have the same opinion as most of the population-------unfortunately the other irony is this forum prides itself on those who dare to be different, then when you are the pack must whip you back into conformity, yeh sorry thats not me. im not gonna defend myself any more over this subject, it is what it is...hitchhikers are scum and thats my opinion but i do appreciate the mainstream psychology given.

awesome post mycot, im a fun loving optimist most of the time i swear, we all have things we hate and bad days sometimes, apologies to the hitch-hikers (go get a job) :innocent_n::wink:

a) they're walking in the direction they're going ( anyone who won't put an effort into getting where they're going is probably just bludging )

Ive heard this comment quite alot in reference to how people determine is someone is worthy of being picked up. I dont get it really because if you are trying to get long distances and not just popping into town and back why risk walking in the middle of nowhere and not knowing if you will get a ride or not when otherwise you could just wait on the edge of town and if noone stops then you have easy access to food,water and possibly some type of shelter. I assume people that think along those lines have never been stuck out in the middle of nowhere waiting for a lift.

• Like 1

you could have at least given an example of my poetry mycot

Oh freddled gruntbuggly, Thy micturations are to me As plurdled gabbleblotchits On a lurgid bee That mordiously hath bitled out Its earted jurtles Into a rancid festering [drowned out by moaning and screaming] Now the jurpling slayjid agrocrustles Are slurping hagrilly up the axlegrurts And living glupules frart and slipulate Like jowling meated liverslime Groop, I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes And hooptiously drangle me With crinkly bindlewurdles, Or else I shall rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon See if I don't.

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Vogon_Poetry

i see the irony xodarap, i see the logic i know the score and the reasons........it just must be one of those clown issues, you know how people have phobias of clown for no apparent reason when they instead are lovable larrikins, just cant help it though...i detest hitch-hikers for some reason but like beggars, it just doesnt make sense but thats the way life goes sometimes aint it, maybe my parents picked up a hitch-hiker when i was a toddler and had a threesome or something and i have regressed my hitchhiking fear somehow, then again hitch-hiking is illegal isnt it or frowned apon by society as a whole so realistically i probably have the same opinion as most of the population-------unfortunately the other irony is this forum prides itself on those who dare to be different, then when you are the pack must whip you back into conformity, yeh sorry thats not me. im not gonna defend myself any more over this subject, it is what it is...hitchhikers are scum and thats my opinion but i do appreciate the mainstream psychology given.

awesome post mycot, im a fun loving optimist most of the time i swear, we all have things we hate and bad days sometimes, apologies to the hitch-hikers (go get a job) :innocent_n::wink:

Piss off, i'm not scum.

Oh, a lot of hitchers (including myself) have jobs. I don't travel into the city often enough (only once a week) to justify buying a car just to drive myself into town and back. I could catch the bus but hitching is quicker and the people are usually more interesting.

cool man :) respect, now i understand a lot better.. i'm a musician & i've busked in the past & it's in no way had anything to do with the 'begging profession' when i've busked it's because i want to push myself & get more comfortable with the idea of performing in public & get my music out of my bedroom & into peoples ears.. if only for a second when they're walking by.. i personally get a kick out of hearing or seeing a really interesting busker & the buskers that actually make any money at all are the ones who do it for real & they do well because they work hard just like anyone in any field has to work hard to get good at something & succeed at it.. if people survive from that i think it's a very honest living & a very commendable & important role in society.. where would society be without the traditional archetype of the bard?

we're all shaped by the environment we grow up in & if you're perfectly happy with what you've inherited from those around you then thats fine... all we can do is just express our opinions.. i grew up in the middle of the bush amongst a small community where being somewhat open & generous to people was basically a way of life, hitchhiking was absolutly necissary as a young person & music was something that just about everyone did & shared, so just like you find hitchhikers & buskers objectional, i find an attitude that seems to reject the validity of those kind of values a little objectional.. i don't have any proplem with your opinion, was just compelled to share my opinion in reply to your words.. i also hadn't read your 2nd post when i posted..

i saw your last avatar centipede, i dunno if i would pick you up man haha, its cool your not scum its just one persons opinion you did see the wink at the end right. on the reverse i broke down 50kms from lancelin one dark night and walked all the way, i hid in the bushes every time a car came past which would have been 100 times- i honestly think that i will get murdered if i pick somebody up or get picked up i justy cant get past that feeling, as i said before i just play the percentages- you wont get murdered hitchhiking if you dont hitchhike so i have a 100% chance of not getting murdered that way, i dunno if you have kids but they really change your perspective- i have cried at too many funerals to imagine the pain of watching my child watch me go down the hole forever, hence now i am very pessimistic if not for my own benifit but for the benifit of those i love, people who put themselves at risk of a stupid avoidable death when they have kids are very selfish in my opinion, also i still cant write off that hitch-hiker parent threesome when i was a backseat toddler either ahhh.

i saw your last avatar centipede, i dunno if i would pick you up man haha

haha, this one is only slightly better, at least he doesn't move :P

Yeah I saw the winky at the end of your post, I just wanted to give reasons other than no source of income for why people hitchhike (which have probably been mentioned already).

I shouldn't have been so hasty in posting my grumpy response.

:wub:

i got picked up once on a new years morning after getting fucked up out in the forest and wondering off from my friends. with no mobile i wandered to a road and started walking in what i thought was the direction to town. luckily got picked up by two people who gave me a lift to the train station. lucky they did as i had no idea where i was and probably would've been walking for half the next day, hungover and coming down.

also i still cant write off that hitch-hiker parent threesome when i was a backseat toddler either ahhh

:lol:

Mmm, a threesome with a hitchhiker or two. Sounds like my sort of fun. :P

When I was hanging out in an inner city drag race scene I saw an automotive billboard: YOU WORK YOU RIDE. And I agree with that for the most part - that anyone, if they can get a job, can get a car. At least, in America.

So when I see someone walking and they don't appear to be "stranded with a briefcase", I tend to judge them unfairly. If they aren't riding, they aren't working, and if they aren't working, etc etc etc not worth the risk.

When I was hanging out in an inner city drag race scene I saw an automotive billboard: YOU WORK YOU RIDE. And I agree with that for the most part - that anyone, if they can get a job, can get a car. At least, in America.

So when I see someone walking and they don't appear to be "stranded with a briefcase", I tend to judge them unfairly. If they aren't riding, they aren't working, and if they aren't working, etc etc etc not worth the risk.

Though just because someone has or can get a car, doesn't then mean to say they can afford to run it.

This really has nothing to say on their character or whether they deserve a ride either. A bunch of my friends are full time uni students, working, great people and own a car but after paying for rent and all the other necessities find themselves unable to pay for fuel quite often.

• Like 1