The Corroboree
kombipe

Is my cactus sick?

Hello cactus lovers!

I am concerned over the health of my dear little Echinopsis 'Los Banos' x Trichocereus pallarensis!

As you can see, he's got some nasty looking skin near the soil. Should I be worried? If 'yes' what can I do?

Also his skin higher up is blotchy. Most of it is pale but there are darker spots appearing. Again, should I be worried?

He is very dear to me and I'd hate to be doing the wrong thing by him so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks heaps

KP

post-4647-0-68936400-1308562034_thumb.jp

post-4647-0-72051900-1308562073_thumb.jp

post-4647-471001_thumb.jpg

post-4647-0-68936400-1308562034_thumb.jpg

post-4647-0-72051900-1308562073_thumb.jpg

post-4647-0-68936400-1308562034_thumb.jpg

post-4647-0-72051900-1308562073_thumb.jpg

Edited by kombipe

Doesn't look too good mate, don't know what's causing it.

Yeah, it's been getting worse over the past couple of months - the base peeling or whatever - but it hasn't stopped or slowed its growth. :(

It looks like a fungi infection, growing just under the skin. The fact that it is creeping up from soil level would indicate that the plant is not receiving enough drainage (the soil looks like very chunky organic material). If it was me, I'ld give it a transplant into some freshly made cacti mix (potting mix, perlite, sand, coir), and give it a spray with fongarid (systemic fungicide). Unfortunately theres probably not much you can do about the cosmetic damage to the skin that has already occurred. All the best KP

Yeah, that doesn't look good at all. It's either extremely stressed, or under attack from some sort of infection.

If I were you I'd get it out of the rain/weather (if it isn't already), and give it a few cycles of good fertilizer such as miracle-gro (a cycle being feed - wait to dry - feed again).

If it's no better in a couple of weeks, or if it starts to get worse I'd cut just above the big scar at the bottom to see if there's any discolouration internally. Treat the cuts with sulphur.

If there's no orange/purple discolouration wait a couple of weeks for it to dry off, then plant again in fresh soil, but do not water till spring.

If there is discolouration, you could try more cuts to see if you can get to a point where it's clear, or you could just let it dry off while observing.

Id chop it above the infection/rot , let it callous and replant it into a nice sandy mix.

OK!! Great advice!! There's another element to all this and I stupidly didn't mention it. He's putting out another whatchemacallit!post-4647-0-93148300-1308568321_thumb.jp

post-4647-0-93148300-1308568321_thumb.jpg

post-4647-0-93148300-1308568321_thumb.jpg

cut off, callous and replant healthy tip, see how new vigorous pup goes. reduce watering to minimum. what id do anyhoo.

i will second incognito's advice here, the pup looks nice and healthy so I would let that go and see how it pans out but just keep a close eye on it just in case it goes bad.

Yeah I'd cut the top and let it callous and once you've done that repot the bottom stump in some cactus mix and keep it dry till the stump callouses over to.

Try and make a nice clean cut with a really sharp clean blade, such as razor or something.

-

Edited by Archaea

It is fine, there is nothing wrong with it at all.

What you see is a suberin like tissue, this can come with age on some types of plants and is very common on the oldest parts of the stem, including in seed grown plants that had a smaller diameter. When sunburned these plants also form this tissue resulting in a scar, but it can and does occur on perfectly healthy plants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suberin

It is common in some peruvianoid forms for it to look identical in healthy plants. It is not something you should worry about or treat.

• Like 1

if the aesthetic damage bothers you cut the pup off let it callus and then plant the "damaged" section just below the surface leaving only the "healthy" part exposed. However as Archaea has said it is fine and doesn't look like scale or any other serious damage so it wouldn't be necessary this is just a way to hide the older growth.

I would recommend a more cacti-friendly soil mix though if possible (better to pot it into good soil now than when it is big and beastly and heavy as you will end up with spines all through your arms and hands when its big) Wrap in newspaper then a thick cloth for transplanting to avoid this)

edit: you will also notice suberin is to protect from water, which would really indicate that it would prefer a freely draining soil. Expect to find another pup under the ground somewhere as well when transplanting :)

Edited by DarkSpark

I agree with Archaea, do not cut it.

If you were to peel off any of the damaged waxy outer layer, you'd find nice green flesh underneath.

Don't be fooled by the scarred up look.

And definitely re pot it.

Phew! I didn't want to operate on him so that's great news! I'll repot him over the weekend.

What should I do if I find a pup underground? Just leave it?

And thanks to everyone who responded to my cry for help. Really appreciated :)

First thing I thought when I read your post..."That looks completely normal". Cutting it wouldn't have been a problem, but I definitely agree with the latest posts saying that it's fine to leave it. I don't know what's with all these posts at the start saying "argh, it's evil. Chop it NOW". I know some of you guys are very experienced in growing cacti. You've never looked at the base of them?

Thanks ballzac. I'm a cactus newbie so I don't know what's 'normal' - but I'm learning fast! *he says hopefully*

pups underground can be left. it will breach the surface in its own time. you can take it off it needed but i hate taking smaller pups, more chance of losing them.