The Corroboree
solomon

NZ Trichocereus Clones

Hey Guys and Girls, can you please give me some more Info about the short spined Terscheckii? I never heard of something like that and i´d love to hear if its seedgrown and who germinated it. That would be nice. :)

lol i am just as stumped as you, i really thought it didnt look anything like a tersh either, i will try track down the motherplant photo she sent me with the plant ages ago. It was seed grown by a woman who sells plants of trademe.

mutant - ha holy shit, thats pretty gung ho of him but cool! great success!

here is that photo of the motherplant that our specimens came from, i have thought before that it may have been a bee cross?

now thats interesting, do you keep your specimen in a shady spot? Still hard to believe it's the same plant, but you never know... could a mixup be possible?

here is that photo of the motherplant that our specimens came from, i have thought before that it may have been a bee cross?

I've been there! And I've bought one of those T. terschekii's before. The maternal plant is definitely some form of T. terschekii, but the owner only has the one plant, so it is possible she is crossing the flowers with pollen from the many scop-pach hybrids she has around the place.

This is my photo of the "Short-spined Terscheckii". If I had to guess, I would say that it was indeed pollinated by the T. Pachanoi growing at the purveyor's property.

Just so we're clear - I bought my plant from the same exact person as bogfrog did. When I was there, I remember seeing a plant with much longer spines (maybe an inch or so), and was told this little plant I bought would grow spines to the same length. The plant I saw was not the plant in bogfrog's photo.

However, this seller, as far as I was told, is not where the original plant came from. I vaguely recall hearing about it coming from someone else, who may have been an old lady, or something.

ters2.jpg

Hmm, now I look at the pic closer, I wonder if that is the same one I am thinking about, the garden and greenhouse looks identical, but the hills are no steep enough looking.

The person I bought mine off of is a well-known cultivator, though she does not sell anything on TM, at least as far as I am aware. The plants posted in this thread look identical to hers though, perhaps she did a trade with tink, and tink sold them on?

Here's what I originally bought:

unled1uo.jpg

And what it looked like sometime before I purged my Trich collection:

unled2zys.jpg

• Like 1

yeah tink got the seed from her mate down the line which is where that mother is and from the seed she germinated there is massive variation between pach and terschekii, so almost certainly pach X. some look identical to pach but branch at a very young age. theyre very unique cacti.

• Like 1

good detective work guys! i knew there was something too blantantly different about these plants.

thats pretty cool as they will mature faster having pach in the mix

Edited by bogfrog

wow, some very nice plants there.

Nice bogfrog!, That Tricho in the 4th picture down on the far right, in the front looks the same as a cutting I got from a huge 7m high in Blenheim that had been growing there for ~40-50 years. I think its mostly peruvianoid and looks damn glaucacous. Do you know the origin of that one?

Nice bogfrog!, That Tricho in the 4th picture down on the far right, in the front looks the same as a cutting I got from a huge 7m high in Blenheim that had been growing there for ~40-50 years. I think its mostly peruvianoid and looks damn glaucacous. Do you know the origin of that one?

Wow you should snap some pics next time your up that way dude, would love to see some older Trichocereus in NZ

I reckon that one is Martin's/Coromandel Cacti's T. pachanoi.

Looks identical to my one.

I would love to get a cutting of that so called Short Spine Terscheckii to watch its growing behaviour during a longer period of time. So please let me know if you should ever have one available to trade away. I´ll surely cover the shipping costs. Its such an interesting plant! Very nice Collection bogfrog!

it was a swap from a mate, he said it was a local plant

beautiful ae, i wud love to see any old trich pix

Can pachanoi form spines longer than 5cm? I didn't think they could, The spines were up to 5-6cm long on the mature specimens making me think it was peruvian. We'll see, I'll hunt that photo down....Found it.

744245761-000_0044.jpg

744245705-000_0043.jpg

and heres a pup:

752838732-000_0063.jpg

• Like 1

Alright sorry for the teasing, heres the money shot :lol:

gallery_9685_411_539326.jpg

Edited by Amylase

wowzers

i think i might have a piece of this plant too... but through yet another source. will do some more snappin when i get home.

just moved all my plants out on the first day of spring and then the heavens open and drench them!

Awesome plants guys

the 'terschecki' or rather X terschecki doesn't look so terschecki.

does it grow fast compared to other fast growing trichos?

Is Amylase plant the NZ pachanoi? a bridge / peruv ? could be a mix/X of any of these

keep the passion running

yeah tink got the seed from her mate down the line which is where that mother is and from the seed she germinated there is massive variation between pach and terschekii, so almost certainly pach X. some look identical to pach but branch at a very young age. theyre very unique cacti.

Oh right, I think I might know the exact story then.

If I am right, the original seed supplier, who I shall not name, has only two different clone-lines of Trichocereus, one is a long-spined San Pedro, which she does not breed (at least as far as I'm aware) and the other is a T. terscheckii, as well as a few different mature plants of what looks like backberg x scop hybrids. All her plants are clones except her backberg x scop hybrids, so she has to hybridize to produce any seeds other than more of her backberg x scop hybrids, so to produce T. terscheckii seed she crosses them with the hybrids, and gets what you see here today.

Here's a pic of her typical backberg x scop morphology, the paternal gamete donor:

unled1nhg.jpg

• Like 1

lol, what is the pixelated bit hiding? hehe

I don't have anything to contribute, except to say beautiful plants guys :D

Will post some pics of mine after they get going. First spring fert this weekend!

*edit.. ok.. one pic - this plant is pretty similar to the one Amylase posted above - looks pretty different now 2 years on, but same features

_MG_8144.jpg

Edited by bit

Edited by bogfrog

Edited by bogfrog