The Corroboree

Seed

normal_Lagochilus%20seed.jpg

Seedlings (test run)

normal_Lago%20germination.jpg

Edited by planthelper

Thanks for sharing the pics! Very Strong seedlings! How many water do they actually need?

im using fairly moist cocopeat perlite and sand mix

i try and maintain good drainage so the roots have air

also theres aproduct called 'revive' im trialling

its a N, Fe, Mg etc foliar feed

its been worthwhile

hey rev, can you afford to sell any seed?

'fraid not

too involved to get hold of and i need as many plants as possible in the immediate future

its a pet project for now

i do hope to be able to grow and sell this herb in future at good prices (for the buyer). The current pricing of lago i think is silly and if successful i think it will fall into line with other comparable herbs like damiana

the aroma of fresh herb is delightful and i think will make a great herbal tea regardless of psychoactivity

rev, can you please update us a lil about your lago?

i just got mine sent but haven't even opend the letter yet...

are your's still growing strong?

My older lago died from not being watered one day. They seem to be drought sensitive and over watering sensitive. I do have about a dozen little seedlings and some seed left so I should be in good shape.

Is that a small flood and drain setup youve got going there Rev?

Nice and small.. looks good.

hi, darcy i just want to say, you gave me some of your lago resin yonks ago and once i bioessayed it, i became a lago believer, thanks for that! was it 5x lago or even stronger?

i smoked a bit of lago yesterday and there was no strong reaction (darcy's lago kicked in hard, one time when i tried it)but there were some stony sensations and i had problems finding the right words for a while...

stony, what you say makes me believe it's a fuzzy plant to grow, oh well thanks for the warning. how big did your plant grow, how much material did it yield?

anyway i wanted that plant 26 years ago when the book plants of the gods changed my life,

i mean patients is a keyfactor if one is interessted in ethno plants, lol.

lago, we need lot's of lago...

:rolleyes:

ph, it was getting too big for it's 1 gall pot when it died. It was due for watering that day but I should have hit it in the morning instead of evening because it had been extra hot and so it got very wilted. It lost most branches right away but a couple were still green and it started putting out new growth. There was a lot of rain around that time and I think the constantly damp soil killed it off.

could someone please post a detailed report of how they germinated their lago?

been tryin for, oh i guess a couple of weeks now. info on this plant is very limited, ive got the seed just a couple of mm under the surface (one or two are even sticking out a tad) of some nice free draining cacti potting mix under bright light and am trying to keep the soil moist as close to constantly as possible.

have just been misting soil with a spray bottle, should i try bottom watering?

am i just being impatient and they take a while to germinate?

still got a fair amount of seed left, so i should be all good :)

also, does anyone know how to store lago seed or how long it stays viable for? fridge maybe?

oh and while im at it, how cold would kill a seed?

ie. if my fridge freezes some things, like spaghetti would it not be a good idea to store seed in it?

all help and suggestions greatly appreciated, the more people who can this plant the better. we need to try and get at least some plants growing in the wild

i store all my seeds in the butter compartment in the fridge.

what one has to be carefull of is that the area wher you store your seeds is very dry, any bit of moisture would harm your seeds.

so make sure the spot in your fridge where you put all of your seeds never gets damp or wet.

i would like aswell to know how deep to plant and so on, let's hope rev showes up soon.

as a general rule i can say that seeds get buried 2to3 times ther own size.

only a few plants (mostly weed's and grasses) need light to germinate and are sown onto the surface of the soil.

stoney's post and the geographical orgin of lago make me believe that it doesn't like very hot summers. in it's natural habitat winters are quite cold, hope that helps.

Originally posted by planthelper:

what one has to be carefull of is that the area wher you store your seeds is very dry, any bit of moisture would harm your seeds.

While storing your seeds should always be doen dry, in this case the fridge storage period should probably be used to cold stratify them. In that case they should indeed be kept moist for about 3 months in the fridge. Damp sterile sand is quite suitable.

i would like aswell to know how deep to plant

Depth is not important unless it is too deep. It has to be low enough to be kept moist, but high enough so that it doesn't waste all energy on reaching the light.

as a general rule i can say that seeds get buried 2to3 times ther own size.

Yep. in this case too.

only a few plants (mostly weed's and grasses) need light to germinate and are sown onto the surface of the soil.

most Papaveraceae, many Solanaceae, ....

stoney's post and the geographical orgin of lago make me believe that it doesn't like very hot summers. in it's natural habitat winters are quite cold, hope that helps.

Hmmm, you must be loking at different climate data than me! Winters are VERY cold and summers are VERY hot.

Winter average minimum is -2 degC with extremes down to -30 degC. The winter average maximum is 6 degC. The winter average temp is 2 degC.

Summer average minimum is 18 degC, with average maximum 33 degC. Extremes go up to 48degC. Summer average is 26 degC.

These are the numbers for the nearest city, but Lago grows in the mountains where the extremes are greater for both upper and lower temps.

For comparison, Sydney's average summer temp is just 22 degC. Lagoland is some 4 degrees higher on average, which is very substantial. In fact, Lagoland temps are only marginally higher than Rockhampton, which should give you some idea

Originally posted by darcy:

Most papaveraceae only require temperatures below 15 degrees to stimulate germination.

I am actually talking the family here, not just the genus Papaver. Meconopsis, Eschscholzia, Argemone, and some Corydalis definitely need or are enhanced by lights exposure. And personally I have never managed to germinate ANY Papaver unless they were fully exposed. It took me years to work out that the best way to germinate poppies is to simply cast them on bare ground :rolleyes:

Actually covering them with a small amount of sand gives them better stability

Yeah, sand is great because it actually lets a fair bit of light through even when you bury the seed 3 times it's depth. Even seeds that need lots of light to germinate will do so under a thin cover of sand.

try sowing papaver seeds on the soil surface in summer :P

That would be like sowing tropicals in winter :P

Nicotiana are the only genus in Solanaceae (not that i would know all the genera in such a huge family anyway )that i can think of that actually have a light requirement for germination.

Tomatoes germinate better with light. Most Daturas do poorly without light and can actually stay dormant in soil for a couple of years waiting for exposure. Quite a few Solanums, especially the arid ones need light. etc

doing very well now that they can smell spring :)

I have had no luck with the stratification bit. I'd say just sow them right away. If they don't come up in a couple weeks, they probably aren't going to come up. I never got seeds because I was down to one plant. I will have more than that next year and plan to produce a bunch of seeds. I have a bag of lago herb now. It has a spicy smell.

I put 4 seeds in moist CSS in the fridge for 3 weeks, and after a few days 2 seeds swelled, today 2 seeds have what I assume to be a tap root a few mm coming out.

lago1.JPG

The two that have tap roots have been planted, are on the heat pad and under fluro lighting.

I have 4 seeds left to play with.

[ 12. September 2005, 06:15: Message edited by: Jack ]

well i wish you all the very best of luck, been a few weeks now and i've had no no signs of life :( i sent my last few to someone else on here so maybe he'll have more luck

but mine didnt look anywhere near as fresh as yours rev, maybe they were a bit old?

whatever i did right the fisrt time i couldnt repeat the second time

oh well i have the fisrt btach looking good and tillering nicely

once they get up theyll go in th ground where they should thrive

and yes they stayed outside in a frost that killed a mulberry and seriously damaged several trichs and even as seedlings they didnt care

but it seems they must have full sun. anything less and they wither

Yes, they do like the full sun. Glad to see you got a sprout or two, Jack. I hope they do well for you. It might be good to keep them under a dome for a few days after they come up. They seem to be very delicate at first and you may lose a few if not careful.

another seed popped! So 3 out of 4.