The Corroboree
incognito

good hip hop?

seems ive returned to my original love in music, after a good 10yr absence ;). through no fault of my own, hip hop beats are just whats doing it for me at the moment!

i just love top quality hip hop beat production. Dr.Dre is back blowing my brain. I cannot belive i forgot how just amazing and aheadof his time he is. id say he will be compared to thelikes of clancy jones and other grea composers of our time when he finally kicks the bucket. He went from phenomenal back in the llate 80's mid 90's to flawless and awe-inspiring with his hip-hop production. An interesting guy, worth a read on ikipedia and thelike. and chronicaly rich i dare say. Reading how he procucesth beats, nothing from samples, all from studio instruments that he then refines to find his "sound".

Definately one of my favourite artists of all time hands down. everything he produces is mint. i just wish eazy e could be reincarnated now to make a new millenium record, that would be the mintest of all.

Loved the heads up on The mutsufas o whatever his name is, the jewish artist. phenomenal.

as much a i thought id never get into Kanye West, i bought thenew album on a whim when i got petrol the othe day, andhave been blown away since. again, phenomenal production.

as ive been on a hip-hop,rap music hiatus for the last 10yrs, i totaly dismissed the eminem thing, as being an angry, talentless hack. But geez, he has amazing skills, no one can deny that.

Not a very cool post discussing eminem, but mn i realy appreciate his flow. Hes like a turbo charged dr.seuss. and every word is perfectly elecuted.

anyways the real purpose of my post is,

what amazing hip hop acts/producers have i missed out on??

love bliss and eso. de; the fnky homosapien isnt to shabby either, well some tracks anyhoo.

ps. not a timberland fan.

Edited by incognito

MF DOOM.

Kool Keith as Dr Octagon and Dr Dooom, A Tribe Called Quest, GZA, Wu Tang, Del, Mantronix, Nas, AZ, Roots Manuva, J Dilla, Madlib....

wutang is old skool. love dr.octogon. ill check out ur recomendations. thanks :)

yeah doom rocks, also check out madlib, dangerdoom, madvillain's fucking awesome,

J. Dilla

stones throw records

also for more instrumental stuff may want to observe the following:

flying lotus, samiyam, lukid, nosaj thing, oh no

OK, older stuff first:

If you like Kool Keith, check out an album he did with Tim Dog called "Big Time" - 1994, one of my favourite records hands down.

Jeru the Damaja has never made a bad album, although his best (IMO) is from the same year called "Wrath of the Math" - great beats and an interesting flow, with good lyrical content.

The first album by US3 is excellent, seems quite overlooked because of the fact that one of the tunes made top 40. Worth checking out.

Coming forward in time, anything by Blackalicious but especially their first ep - Melodica

Talib Kweli - the Beautiful Struggle is the only album I own so can't speak in a more general sense, but that's a great listen.

Common's album "Be"

Rahzel's "Make the Music 2000"

Shit... I just realised even my newer suggestions are getting pretty old. There's good stuff coming out still but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

the brainfeeder collective you should check out too

Sage Francis is up their with the best lyricists in my opinion. Check out his earlier work, his newer stuff is a bit hard to get into if you're not used to his style. Non-prophets are very good too (Sage + Joe).

Not exactly an upbeat song at all, but clever use of words, a good oldie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F4KiuvLo6Y

• Like 1

May as well add a couple of other examples. Some good social commentary:

More upbeat, poking fun at all those wankers whose entire existance is define by the $400 brand name sunnies and $250 nikes, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y6I-vMwUHc

About the behaviour of the US media post 911. How the media encourages intolerance etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3spSAvJkm8

Edited by Alice
  • Like 2

I hate to say it but eminem is one of the best rapper in the world some of his newer stuff kinda sucks but lyricly he is so talented.

Can't believe no one mentioned aus hip hop

Hilltop hoods Bliss and esso Pez Pj the list goes on and on

Hilltops are lyricly amazing favourite song still after 2 years stopping all stations the entire song is a story in double syllable rhythming told differently from 3 peoples perspective awesome

Mos Def - Black on both sides (album)

mos def is on of my fav hip-hop artists.

CANNOT get into hilltop hoods. sometimes i will like one of their tuns first time round but second time its just not my thang. weve all quired tastes i guess.

i do like some of the evil ddie stuff that hs released this year. i hate to ay it but QLD is a wicked tune!

i really like some of jay-z's music.

I hate to say it but eminem is one of the best rapper in the world some of his newer stuff kinda sucks but lyricly he is so talented.

id almost agree with you. like i said ive shunned eminem for the las ten yrs beacuse i thought i was way to spiritually advanced :rolleyes:

but i must say that to date, he is easily one of the most talented rappers ive heard. some rappers are awesome but u cant understand a thin they say. ems rhymes are so perfectly delivered you know exactly what every word is. irks me he puts his daughter in the limelight like that though, poor kid has buckleys of leading a "normal" life!!!

i think that the 'recovery' album is top-notch. em and dre' both being absolute perfectionists make the crispest hip-hop ive witnessed.

i must dig up a you tube vid of eminem getting absolutely owned in a battle by this frzzy haired rapper, that guy was SOOOOO muc better than em.

i think in perfectly timed, perfectly elocuted flwaless rap styles, eminem would be hard to beat. Im not big on he rap content, but te skill of them mn is not to be denied.

now id LOVE to go to an eminem concert! if i was the only one attending lol. i dont think id hack an eminem crowd, pussy that i am.

i really must witness dr.dre perform live befoe i die. has anyone here seen dre' live? thoughts?

e

Edited by incognito

definitely jean grae.. best hip hop show i've been to!

lots of good suggestions above as well..

eminem

& seroiusly lil wayne has some decent stuff Tha Carter 3 (C3) gets played a bit around here & i have a bit of a thing for die antwoord's yolandi visser

im sure you remember enter the ninja

die antwoord reminds me of ice tea & i still like most of their stuff

Edited by mac
  • Like 1

:blush:

<<yolandie Edited by mac
  • Like 1

yes ol yol's is hhhhhhhooot as. would take some handling :wink:

but damn id gve it a red-hot go :P

i dig die antwood!

not so muc into lil'wayne. i dont think id put him in a rapper catagory. well my own category of rappers anyway :)

but i can see why peeps dig him. ya gotta respect a man who loves robbitussin and is successful in life ;)

the girls kanye hs rapping on his track "monster" are unblievable. one of z best female rap performances ive heard,

i wouldnt class M.I.A as hip-hop? but im a M.I.A fan all the way. she could defo have me if she played her cards right :wub: :wub:

& i have a bit of a thing for die antwoord's yolandi visser

lol shes decent ay, I just looked at this thread to see if anyone had mentioned them yet blush.gif

a tribute to my fav rapper. R.I.P :wub:

i just could never ever take eazy e seriously. wasaways just fun music to me.

ha ha thats the first time ive seen that vid. classic. im entertaining myself anyways! made my night! Edited by incognito

swollen members, earlier stuff is better, the latest one takes some getting used to

moka only aka ron contour

hadag nahash, funk interspersed within hip hop but some beats are there

parvarim refugees

one day as a lion, za de la rocha's latest project

Alright, theres lots of stuff that is worth checking: Jedi Mind Tricks, Army of the Pharaos, Swollen Members, Madchild, IAM (French), Akhenathon (French), Booba (French), Shurikn (French), DJ Honda, Seeed, the old MOP Records, the new Eminem LP which is truly awesome, Son of Noise & the classic Stuff like Doggystyle LP, Chronic 2001, All Eyez on me, Illmatic, Mobb Deep, Remy Ma, The Blueprint from Jay-Z, all the Kanye West Productions, Ruff Ryders, Ludacris, Malpractice from Redman, Ready to Die from Biggie, all Gang Starr LP´s, etc. Will post more when i have my brain in order.

• Like 1

hs anyone seen the die antwoord live clips on youtube? b grade at best IMO.

alot of $ has gone ino the song film clips i think.

EG we have similar hip hop taste!

ps no ones mentioned dispodable heroes of hiphopcrisy?

New Beastie Boys. I just can't get enough of this 30mins of heaven...

• Like 2

I don't think anyone's mentioned Dead Prez.

Fucking awesome.

• Like 2

They are more like glitch hop than hip hop, but Lazer Sword have some goods.

I know I mentioned Wu earlier, but you should check out RZA's new album Digi Snacks. The production on it is fucking awesome.