The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Mimosa hostilis active without MAOI?

Ok so it's eleven days since germination, and the going is slow.

I've got them under a 20W fluorescent, because I don't want them outside until the nights warm up.

So, the going is slow. But yesterday the first almost fern like leaf began showing itself (curled up), then it slowly started unrolling so it's sort of half unrolled now.

I touch it, it doesn't shrink. Is it too early for me to be testing this? Or is this not sensitive plant? :D

EDIT: Also, no "lots of hook like spines" in sight.

[ 23. August 2005, 01:38: Message edited by: apothecary ]

different colored dmt has just a little bit to do with seasons. it happens rather because the nn-dmt comes across to the organic first and once most of the nn-dmt has been pulled out the 5-meo dmt and others come across. the alkaloids seem to have to quew one behind the other (compare this with the bazuco methode { some slight precipitation is iniated, so the unwanted alkaloids which come across first can be removed})...

in other words the 3rd organic pull will rather be darker in color as it contains more other alkaloids (bufo, 5-meo dmt) than nn-dmt.

aswell it's as tort say's a matter of how selective the solvents are, lighter fluid pulls rather white/yellow material and toluene rather orange colors.

[ 23. August 2005, 06:08: Message edited by: planthelper ]

wait till they get a little bigger to test that apoth :) they are quite as :) ive got a mini forest of them atm, half approaching 10cm the other half with their second leatlets.

I also recall there were concerns that the work up my have synthesised these compound.

If it did, it happened during a typical acid base extraction. Care was taken to wash the organic phase and concentrate to dryness at low temperature. The initial extraction itself was with 5% HCl at room temperature for several hours on the pulverized material, followed by vacuum filtration.

Here's the total ion chromatogram:

car1.jpg

The peak at 12.16 minutes is the beta-carboline

car2.jpg

car3.jpg

GC/FID analysis indicated a percent by weight of about 6%.

gc1.jpg

Here the peak of interest is eluting at 28.755 minutes on this chromatograph.

A mechanism for the formation during work up might be something like this:

car4.jpg

I've yet to repeat the work doing different extraction techniques.