The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Hagakure

Edible mushroom forraging in adelaide

sup all

been interested in starting to collect some edible mushrooms. have found a lot of species in pine plantations and would like to try eating some but finding it hard to find some solid information like just a list of edible mushrooms.

did some forum searching and going to try some slippery jacks and hopefully porcini from adelaide hills.

have heard there are milk caps around but not sure what type of subspecies to look for in SA.

any other types of mushrooms to try? keen to try strange tasting weird ones as long as they aren't deadly.

any other relevant info on the subject would be great.

cheers

There's heaps of edible mushrooms around.

Any puffballs which are white all the way through are edible (Lycoperdon spp., Calvatia spp., etc.)

Tremella spp.

Hericium spp. (though not recorded in SA yet)

Lactarius deliciosus

Suillus spp.

Agaricus spp. (some species are edible, others are poisonous)

Volvariella spp. (Volvariella gloiocephala has been recorded in SA)

Cantharellus spp. (I presume they are all edible; Cantharellus lilacinus has been recored in SA)

Coprinus comatus

Coprinopsis atramentaria

Dacryopinax spathularia

Pleurotus spp.

Macroplepiota spp. (M. clelandii is the only one you're likely to find in SA)

Some Boletus spp.

Lepista nuda (though not recorded in SA)

Laccocephalum mylittae (also not recorded in SA; my holy grail of mushrooms!)

Morchella spp.

Phlebopus marginatus (reputedly edible when young)

Chalciporus piperatus

Some Clavaria spp.

Some Ramaria spp.

The list could and does go on...

Edited by tripsis

awesome. thanks heaps tripsis, great list.

we found one that looked similar to the Laccocephalum mylittae picture on this page. http://healing-mushrooms.net/archives/laccocephalum-mylittae.html

was round and black but instead of the white flesh like the one in that pic it was dark purple/black and had ripple patterns in white. similar species perhaps? wish i had pic but phone was out of juice.

cheers again.

we found one that looked similar to the Laccocephalum mylittae picture on this page. http://healing-mushr...m-mylittae.html

was round and black but instead of the white flesh like the one in that pic it was dark purple/black and had ripple patterns in white. similar species perhaps?

Sounds like it was probably a Pisolithus species.Look like any of the following?

A_Pisolithus.jpg

Pisolithus_arrhizus_98622.jpg

yep, that's the one. awesome. was curious about that but had no idea how to search for it.

cheers.

Pisolithus tinctorius, I call it Horse shit fungus.

I can tell you it doesn't taste really good at all! :rolleyes::puke:

Im curious as to how to use it as a dye source (as it's name, 'tinctorius' suggests).

what mordant would you use?

let us know if you (or anyone here) ever find porcini in Sth Aus.

I'd like some live pieces to inoculate host trees with,

also any info re. hosts, soil type, altutude, aspect etc.

Boletus edulis deserves much wider distribution in Aust. :wub:

Edited by gecko

let us know if you (or anyone here) ever find porcini in Sth Aus.

I'd like some live pieces to inoculate host trees with,

also any info re. hosts, soil type, altutude, aspect etc.

Boletus edulis deserves much wider distribution in Aust. :wub:

Seconded. I really want to get some boletus edulis happening.

Cheers, Obtuse.

I brought back a rather dry polypore that i'm 90% sure is Laccocephalum mylittae along with a heap of other goodies that one of my nephews found for me on the weekend.

I'll get one of my boys to resize the pics & post them for me.

Gecko I'd try alum if your using cotton or Chrome (Potassium Dichromate) if your using wool & maybe a pinch of Tin (Stanous Chloride) to help bring up the colour?

Edited by shortly

Please do shortly! I would love to have a go at grow the sclerotia of that species.

The mordant you use depends on the colour of the dye as well as the material you're trying to dye, right?

I put some explants from the polypore on agar this morning, see how it go's? I have the remaining lump sitting on foil to see if i can get any spore.

It does depend on the colour & type of the dye as well as the material you're trying to dye.

My boss has a few books on using & making natural dyes kicking about somewhere :scratchhead: .

She says dyeing is 40% science 40% art 10% perspiration & 10% luck

Was the polypore attached to a sclerotium?

Seconded. I really want to get some boletus edulis happening.

Cheers, Obtuse.

quick question: could u use dried porcini from a sealed jar (spores) or would the spores be no longer viable?

quick question: could u use dried porcini from a sealed jar (spores) or would the spores be no longer viable?

My thoughts exactly. i would presume that the spores are probably viable, i just havent gotten around to trying them on agar to find out. problem being is that they are probably far from sterile. Nothing a dilute spore solution and lots of isolation cant fix, only time.

What would be the best agar recipe for this species, and are there potential inhibitors for the contaminants.

perhaps this is in the wrong thread, as were getting a little off subject.

lol

Cheers, Obtuse.

Was the polypore attached to a sclerotium?

apparently it was when they found it, but the sclerotium was conspicuously absent by the time it got back to the house.

I also asked them to keep an eye out for sugar bag, i was given the old "sorry uncle we couldn't find any" even though they smelt of honey the moment they rolled in the door :BANGHEAD2: