The Corroboree
Quetzalt

Iboga plant growing process question

Hi,

I've got a small Iboga plant (from SAB maybe 3 month ago). Well it seems to be growing but for each pair of leaves it looses another... is that normal?

The lower pair gets progressively to a lighter green yellow and falls. At the beginning I thought - nutrient deficiency- and after fertilizing it it took somehow a darker green tone but the lower leaves keep getting weak and falling. I've got it in a humidity tent and the temps are arround 25-30ºc. The Yohimbe and V.Africana are in the same tent/conditions and are doing fine (the Yohimbe maybe getting too many leaves/nodes close to one another).

Anyone can comment on Iboga growth peed/ progression in normal conditions?

Thanks,

whenever mine drop leaves its due to either cold temps (10-15c) or wants some ferts. also leaves that are down below or in the middle that get really shaded will drop i find it common with many members of the apoc family, and leafy plants in general.

mind pming me where you got your yohimbe plants from? i have been really trying to get some for a few years now with no results.

I guess its no secret... SAB has them at a certain time of year, I was just one of the lucky ones checking at the time.

topic starter, so do you think kada gave you the right advice, and have you fertilized your iboga plant already? it's just because if a plant is under nourished you better take action right away. plants can't scream like little children when they are hungry, hmmm actualy, iboga can talk, but most of the time we don't hear it....

if a plant is low in nutes and you fix the deficancy with liquid fertilizer, than it still needs quite a while before the plant looks and feels better.

if one uses pellets, than it will take even longer, before the plant shows signs of improofement.

so if one spot's some yellow leaves, one better does some fertilizing right away.

iboga is a hungry beast, if one starves her for too long, she will not "kick back into full virgor" right away, even if one increases the fertilizer levels.

and if you can, increase the temperatur aswell, iboga loves it wet, warm & rich! :)

than, sure those symptoms will go away.

we got a few members here growing iboga in very cold places, so if you have temperatur controll anyway, than make sure she is nice and warm.

ive been really interested in iboga lately...

i understand that the plant doesn't tolerate frost well, was wondering though, how everyones plants handle the colder months and what you guys do with the plants during these cold months... Do u bring them indoors (granted they aint rooted outdoor)? Do u have an individual greenhouse for the iboga plant? ...

What Iv heard is its pretty much only frost or severely cold weather that will actually kill them, and most people in cooler climates usually keep them outside over winter in sheltered positions. The leaves will fall off though if the temperature stays below about 10*c for a little while. Mine dropped all their leaves last year, but they were still small and I had only had them for a few weeks by the time it got cool (it can get down to about 10*c here for short periods, and sometimes a bit colder - it was 7* a few weeks ago for a couple of nights). This year only some of the leaves have fallen and its flowering heavily at the moment.

If your worried you could get one of those plastic greenhouses from bunnings (I think they are only about $30 for the smallest one) and put it over it during the winter and remove it after the last cold weather. I think in sydney though if you chose a good spot to put the pot you wont have any problems. Against a wall that gets warmed during the day that has some thick plants and stuff around it would be good to keep it warmer at night and away from any frost.

Edit - probably should have read the thread a bit better. Where in Europe are you? All the info I provided still holds true though. Also I wouldnt expect to keep your Voacanga in a humidity tent for too long! mine went from a cutting as long as my forearm to taller than me in about 8months! Another thing I forgot to mention is drainage - one of mine did not like being in a glazed pot at all and had the yellowing leaf dropping thing. I moved it to a similar size unglazed terracotta pot and it came back better than ever in a couple of weeks

Edited by poisonshroom

Thanks for the suggestions. Its summer here, so I'm not concerned about warmth... and I've got it in a humidity tent. So I suppose its nutrient deficiency and I'm trying to address the problem. seeing what that does to my Salvias Div... let's hope I don't overfeed them...

Poisonshroom, I never thought there would be that much difference between glazed non glazed pots...

Why won't you have the Vocanga in the greenhouse for too long, isn't it like Iboga, a warmth and humidity lover?

We're in a 25º-30ºc period arround here at the moment but I can't envisage the kind of grouth you mention... Any secret?

I've been growing iboga for a few years here, gets down to -2 at night in winter. Can handle the cold here just goes dormant if outside and reasnobly protected. I've got mine inside this winter in a room with a radiator set to 20 degree celscius. Experimenting trying to get the her to fruit.. If it's only dropping bottom leaves, it's not cold. Cold would knock all the leaves off. More likely light or nutrients. Doesn't like full sun here, likes filtered light but lots of it. Doesn't do total shade well. It's very dry here and that's never been a problem, I don't think it needs high humidity but does like to drink alot. Usually, if it drops leaves and shoots new ones the new leaves will be more adapted to the conditions. If the new ones are dying you're in trouble. I'd say give it a fert, some good filtered light and keep warm, should be fine. Pretty tough plants i've found. :)

Thank you all for the tips. I've repoted with lots of nuts. I'm amazed at how much roots it has developed for such a small plant and in so little time too (not rootbound but grabbing the pumice avidly). Defenetly healthy but not so much vigorous but then again with such a root complex I'm sure she will come about finely. Managed to take some pictures.post-9414-0-87168000-1308490928_thumb.jp

post-9414-0-38795600-1308490948_thumb.jp

post-9414-0-87168000-1308490928_thumb.jpg

post-9414-0-38795600-1308490948_thumb.jpg

post-9414-0-87168000-1308490928_thumb.jpg

post-9414-0-38795600-1308490948_thumb.jpg

They look fine. Nice babies :)

i recieved aswell some iboga plants from tort, a while ago, and yesterday i noticed my first fruits comming along.post-70-0-63419400-1332465675_thumb.jpg

i think the larger leaf variety doesn't set fruit quite easy as that one, plant is ~2 years old.

SAM_0930 (1024x768) (1024x768).jpg

SAM_0930 (1024x768) (1024x768).jpg

very cool man! any tips for planting in a high rainfall area? last ones i planted in ground died.

I just took all mine out of pots and into big raised beds, hope the extra root space makes some fruit :)

Wow 2 years old :) Nice one...

I was afraid of winter so I brought it in a heated and humidified greenhouse until today and it grew 1 foot (doubled its size...). Looking very happy and branching out. I hope next year I get some flowers and fruits too :) The vocanga/ shippibo and Colubrina liked the same conditions very much but the Yohimbe died early, maybe too much water or too much cold or both...

I lack the courage to get them to the ground though...

Kada, maybe you could just get it a nice transparent roof. It likes humidity a lot, I don't know about excessive water...

the plant with the fruit is sheltered from the rain, but i have two smaller plants in pot's outdoors recieving full rain at times.

the soil of the two outdoor plants is still pretty fresh and had very good drainage.

ibogas native habitat is said to be some swamps, so it puzzels me what you think happend with your kada.

maybe they like, moist conditions, but not your soil. free draining potting mix in pot's sounds good.

ya they grow fine in pots in the rain, its the standing water. the floods. I think you are right its the soil, but more so the clay content, it doesn't drain fast and i think it is the water logged roots that does them in maybe?

Right now i have most of mine in raised beds on my roof in the open, adn the soil is mixed soil/coco so drains fine, and they are -ok- in the heavy rains.

arent iboga from teh super tropical forests in western africa? i am not sure but i only image such forests have lots of top soil that decompposes fast and makes a fairly loose rich soil. Is that right? so using heavy soils in wet areas may not be wise, i have a couple other plants out at the farm now (still dry) on raised mounds, will see how they fare in the floods.