The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rabaelthazar

No PIN needed on credit card purchases from Coles

ooh, what about those guys in WA who installed fake readers at mcdonaldses, like fifty of the things, and stole millions and millions of dollars?! ..of course they got caught which is why we know about it. i also may be exaggerating but it was a huge deal.

I spent some time in the clink, with some chaps from a malaysian/hong kong syndicate afew years back that stole over 1M through credit card fraud they were wanted for arrest in 6 different countrys, the way they went about it was nothing really sophisticated, they applied for numerous credit cards online that were approved by the bank with the use of false identitys, usually they would just hack an account of someone with with a great credit rating and a good record with the bank and apply for a new card in this persons name and bobs ya uncle away they went!!

bobs ya uncle

and Fanny's your Aunt !

Sorry to bump a semi-old thread but I just thought I'd add my 2 cents as I work at Coles and have been for the past 4 years.

- Clearing up the requirements of doing this now it is;

Transactions $35.00 (or less)

Made on credit.

Must be either VISA (NB: VISA debit also works), Mastercard, or American Express.

And I just thought you guys should know it was these companies who pushed for this change. And it is they who say they will reimburse you for any loses.

Just a heads up to you guys too I ALWAYS check the card to make sure the signature matches and if you haven't signed the card I will make you present currently valid photo ID with a signature on it (such as a drivers license) as proof.

I once had a some-what famous TV star, Sophie Monk? If any of you have heard of her (hell I hadn't until my boss said to me "Do you know who that was?" after she walked away) buy cigarettes from me at work, and pay via a Citibank credit card. Not only was her card not even signed but it didn't even have a section on the back that you were supposed to sign. When I asked her for some ID to see her signature she gave me that sort of 'do you know who the fuck your talking to?' look.

I told her "well how would you like it if somebody manages to get a hold of your card or potential copies of it and just stroll around town with your credit rating? Believe me I am doing this for you, it's no skin off my hide if your card gets ripped off"

But overall you guys should just know your security is not compromised in any way by this change, and that whether you notice it or not it does save us a significant amount of time at the registers as I would guess around 60% of sales are under $35.

And almost half of those are cut by around 5 to 10 seconds each by this. (trust me that adds up when we're talking about scanning hundreds of items a minute here)

if you haven't signed the card I will make you present currently valid photo ID with a signature on it (such as a drivers license) as proof.

Technically, the card isn't valid at all if it hasn't been signed and shouldn't be accepted at all. I'm assuming fraudsters forget to sign the card? :scratchhead: I mean, seriously, if you have a card that not signed and it's not yours, as soon as you sign the card it appears valid and your signature matches whatever you sign.

Anyway, recently I bought a pair of shoes at the athletes foot and he said the system wasn't working properly and I had to sign. He checked the signature, and that was a first for me. Luckily I was using my own card because at the time I was mostly using my girlfriend's card as the chip on mine wasn't working and I hadn't gotten around to getting it replaced. The machine's say "insert chip or swipe card", but if you swipe it says something like "Chip card. Please insert into chip reader". Then you insert the chip and it says "Chip not read. Please swipe." lol. Then it works when you swipe.

Technically, the card isn't valid at all if it hasn't been signed and shouldn't be accepted at all. I'm assuming fraudsters forget to sign the card? :scratchhead: I mean, seriously, if you have a card that not signed and it's not yours, as soon as you sign the card it appears valid and your signature matches whatever you sign.

Well the way I see it, if the name on the card matches your photo ID, the photo matches your face, and the signatures match then that is twice as safe as your signature just matching the signature on the card...

but if you swipe it says something like "Chip card. Please insert into chip reader". Then you insert the chip and it says "Chip not read. Please swipe." lol. Then it works when you swipe.

Trust me you have no idea how much I DESPISE this. Does the same thing at Coles. There is no way around it. I spent 6 hours today on a register than had a broken chip reader, so everybody that had a card with a chip in it, had to insert first before it would even let them try and swipe. And every single insert would fail, without fail. (Did i just double negative I'm not even sure)

what about touch and go? :S i just put my card onto the lil touch and go part of the card reader and a few seconds later it says aproved :S crazy no pins, no sigs, not even swiping!

RFID chips in C'cards is just plan crazy IMO, thankfully they have low limits on them.

I could make a wireless RFID scanner for about $50, go to my local coffee shop and have a dozen credit card numbers by the time I finish my lunch.

The advert for the Visa WavePay is frigging lame. Anyway, cashless society here we (be)come!

hahaha speak of the devil, i missed the time, but i think it was channel 9 are having a news article thing on exactly this topic. They said something like:

"no pins, no signatures. How safe is your money?" as images of visa wavepay, mastercard paypass and various other money cards flash across the screen bahahaha. I better watch it.. :)

Just thought I'd keep you guys updated.

I have heard word that the minimum for the 'no PIN/signature' may be raised to $100.

Nothing confirmed just what I've heard.

You don't need ID or a pin to withdraw amounts under $500 from an ANZ account at the bank... so yeah