The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
klip247

ID... Slippery Jack?

Question

Found these under some pine trees, there were heaps of these growing together, anyone know what these are? They look like slippery jack either Suillus Granulatus or Suillus Luteus.. cant tell im leaning more towards Suillus Granulatus due to lack of ring around the stem.

09e283.jpg

25a1ac.jpg

38f457.jpg

7 answers to this question

Looks like S. granulatus.

what do they taste like? ive never bothered picking them. they r on the same time as l.deliciosus.

yeah thats a slippery jack. dont eat it, that one is too old and moldy.

go for the fresh yellow ones.

Can't say I'm a fan incog, think they're pretty bad tasting. Haven't tried any of the ones I've dried this year though, which is apparently a better way to eat them (well dried and then reconstituted).

Had a taste of it, I dont mind the flavour tbh... definitely unique, it does leave a strange "glaze" feeling in the mouth though.

Edited by klip247

They come up under pine trees in my property and I eat them every year. Not fresh, IMO they're a total waste of time fresh, but once you dry them the smell gets awesome and they taste almost like Boletus edulis. I use them sliced in risottos, and stews, and the powdered dry flesh in stews and soups.

One thing to beware of is that they can have a slightly purgative effect. I always remove the sticky skin, but sometimes leave the pores on. If you eat enough of them, the ones with pores have a fairly noticeable laxative effect the morning after eating them!

Can't say I'm a fan incog, think they're pretty bad tasting. Haven't tried any of the ones I've dried this year though, which is apparently a better way to eat them (well dried and then reconstituted).

I havent had the opportunity to try them yet.

im keen, but appreciate the warnings.

there are some pine plantations nearby and i keep meaning to go look, but i seem to spend most of my time in sclerophyll forests.

one day soon i'll get my act together lol.

Cheers, Obtuse.