Jump to content
The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
lhb2444

Mold attack!!

Recommended Posts

I've just planted some cuttings of some bridegsii I bought, it was all a bit scabby from being transported and waiting to be potted but now I have potted some out the mold has attacked quickly and they haven't even been watered. The cuts weren't fully dried when I put them in the soil but they've been indoors and way form excess moisture.

What can I do?

post-9261-0-64671100-1307170294_thumb.jp

post-9261-0-71072600-1307170301_thumb.jp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What can I do?

Weep!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't worry would be a better tactic. It's normal and only on the surface skin, which is already dead. It will just flake off and leave the cutting unharmed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if its more than just surface mold id suggest you cut the tops off again and apply sulphur powder

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tripsis I really hope so, I was thinking of spraying it with a diluted bleach solution or re-cutting the tops and applying some powder (the name of which escapes me at the moment) to help them dry out.

I think i'll let them go though and just keep a close eye on them for the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahh thanks san p exactly what I was thinking off, is the sulphur powder expensive or hard to come by?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LHB, the sulfur powder is available at Bunnings or other produce type stores. At bunnings it's a bit pricey, but I picked up a 2kg bag for $4.50 at a local produce shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

would just keep dry as possible and in full sun when u can. sunlight is best fungicide/anti-bacterial. i wouldnt worry about it to much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd leave it and let it play itself out, but I hate growing plants that can't withstand a little mold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

or can spray some of this stuff on them its plant friendly and kills these kinds of mould on contact, a friendly nifty natural product, every home should have a bottle on hand!

http://www.hollandforge.com.au/contents/en-us/d237_citroshield.html

most cuts get this kinda mould as long as it doesnt go internal or turn into a more nasty black rot a cacti cut is usually ok with this kinda surface mould..i would citrashield them!

Also even vinegar will get rid of it,vinegar is a blessing for these kinda pathogens!

Edited by applesnail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could try cutting it off the top part with the mold and making sure it gets plenty of air and sunshine.

I did this once and the top calloused over again without any mold.

Mold will develop very quickly if the cactus is stored in a dark place like inside the shipping box. Especially if it is freshly cut, then packaged without letting the ends dry first.

When I get any cactus cuttings shipped to me, I usually cut off the ends and let them re-calous even if I don't see mold initially, it helps stop them growing later on.

Yours doesn't look too bad, as long as it doesn't continue developing, you should be fine, but if it's getting worse, you definately need to treat it - the sulfur powder as suggested should also do the trick.

Also, make sure not to water them during the winter, ESPECIALLY if they have been planted from cuttings recently. I usually leave my cuttings stored unpotted until summer comes around, and by then, the ends are bone dry and beginning to develop roots. Pot them when the weather gets warmer and they will do great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mold / moss wont hurt a old cut its just weathering if ya worried scratch it off with your fingernail & spray on a bit of diluted peroxide wash it off 24-48 hrs later

or give it a spray with ISO & it will dry it further as well as kill the mould

edit

after a second look it dose look a little fresh & mushy (must be from rain frost/due), touch of peroxide bring them indoors & dry the tops out with low dry heat from a hairdryer

keep them under cover or indoors for the winter isnt gonna hurt either as they would be dormant by now

Edited by mac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Id also move them away from other cactus just in case don't want it spreading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...they've been indoors..

That's the problem. Cut an inch down further and place outdoors in strong diffused sunlight with good air circulation. Air moisture shouldn't be much of a problem if kept from getting wet from rain or dew.

~Michael~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys, I've decided to try a multitude of these options so I've cut the ends fresh again and given them a dusting with sulphur powder. I've also built a little structure with a clear roof to keep the rain out and let the sun in so I've moved them all outside now under that and they are looking much better, they get a lot more air circulation now to.

1 cut was pretty badly consumed with mold so I tossed it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'd leave it and let it play itself out, but I hate growing plants that can't withstand a little mold.

Or cold. ;)

I have had the same happen. Ultimately I put the plant under the eaves, where sunlight and air could still dry the top. Then basically just left it for a few months (still hasn't pupped yet, despite the ribs being swollen to the point of the cross-section being roughly circular), and it's hard as rock and resistant to being wet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×