The Corroboree

Edited by Alice

beg pardon?

Noticed any jet-streams in the sky when the skin and ringing in the ears occur?

or any reptilian lizard people sneaking around casting spells?

Damn ya got me it's been me the whole time :blush:

Well I do live near Melbournes primary airport so there are plenty of planes around at any given time. :)

Is anyone here a synesthete - if so, how does it feel? Has anyone artificially achieved synesthesia - and if you did, how would you suggest a hypothetical person go about trying to achieve it as well (mindset, 'tools', etc)?

It is one of effects of nearly every psychedelic, this is well known. Seeing music or sound plays a role in Raves, concerts and shamanism including with aya and pedro. Often the clothing of tribes is patterned with the visual version of their sacred songs.

I've had a version of it occur with meditation, nearly always associated with music.

I remember reading a really cool article on synesthesia in the third issue of the now defunct magazine Mondo 2000.

Unfortunately I leant it out and never got it back. :uzi:

ooh, ooh, mememe, i just remembered another synaesthesia experience i had. this one was actually amazing and the best i have had. strange i didn't remember it until now..should really write this stuff down. i suppose this here counts...

anyway some friends were over and we were doing some balloons full of an undisclosed yet readily available gas. i may have also smoked an undisclosed but readily available herb, i forget. actually come to think of it, it was my 18th and i instructed everyone that it was to be alcohol- and tobacco- free (surely the first of it's kind!). it was great. though i did catch two guests smoking a cigarette in the bathroom, there was no alcohol but everyone still had a blast. see people, it CAN be done!

point is we were taking turns choosing the music whilst using the gas. anyone who has tried gas without music (and without herb) is MISSING OUT big time; i swear by that combination. anyway point is one of my friends' turn came to choose the music and she chose sigur ros. i dont particularly like them usually, too atmospheric (i like my music to have a 'point'). however upon inhaling the gas i found myself dissolve into the music. i have heard people describe this happening (usually in a jocular way to poke fun at the stereotypical psychedelic user, "i WAS the music, man!") but in reality it's really really cool. the music literally flowed through me, like a fluid, but a fluid which caused immense pleasure upon contact. like how i imagine the energy liquid to be in tron. but i digress (as usual). point is it was super! and that is my story.

or any reptilian lizard people sneaking around casting spells?

reptilian's wooshing spells out of their sleeves while huffing gas witha bunga in the side of their wry lizard grin.....now we're talking synesthesia

>been a while but i also concur regarding gas n 'erb

:)

I have a slightly similar sleep phenomena where just as I am falling to sleep I get this electric shock type jolt that brings me back to awake. This isnt usually associated with any noise or disturbance that I can recall.

There are occasional times where it isnt just one jolt, and I am bombarded by these incredibly intense electric type impulse through my brain, I usually wonder if I am having some kind of aneurism or a spiritual awakening. So I stay still in bed and observe, it feels like my brain is making some kind of unknown movement that feels like flexing muscles inside my brain to open or push something through the crown of my head.

As it pushes I get the previously described sensation and as it starts to feel like it is opening - the intensity becomes overwhelming to the point where thought is pretty much impossible, and then it feels like my brain relaxes so I can catch up, and then it starts again.

After a while I even get the sensation of muscle fatigue in my brain from the pushing.

I used to get blackouts a lot when I stood up, now I get amazing multidimensional fractal displays.

My housemate thinks I need a brainscan...

Thoughts? Comments?

had a similar experience once, thought it was a ghost or similar grabbing my head through the wall causing an electric sensation. after a little while i kind of mentally demanded that it fuck right off and the electricity became overwhelmingly intense and then stopped. immediately, and for the next 12 hours, my left nostril which is always a bit constricted, was so open i could hardly believe my luck.

Once watched Jimi Hendrix sound wavelengths emanating away from me (speakers were behind me) into the abyss of space while voyaging on a rooftop. Where the wavelengths overlapped up and down and away, they were thicker and brighter, as you'd expect a diaphanous 3D object to appear. But it was definitely of a particle-type-nature, not pure solid. Was first full-on Lucy experience and also after nearly greening out on herb.

Sure, all the time on certain substances with eyes closed especially.

I remember being on mushrooms and listening to two radio hosts talking, I would see their mouth cavity filling with what looked like smoke or these refracting waveforms and their modulation through the mouth and lips to create the sound, from there I started to even make out the rest of their faces. I wasn't sure how "real" my impression was but it was definitely pretty cool!

dunno if it counts but on a drive home from a doof, all sound was coming from a synthesiser. the omnipresent synthesiser! eg physical reality. but nah, all clearly sounded as though produced by a synth.

• Like 1

lol, after a doof that quality of sound lasts for a while!

I've been at a doof on a cocktail of substances... and was standing in a circle of people, and it seemed to me that the music was travelling through people's bodies like a type of energy ball bouncing back and forth and round and through the circle depending on how people were moving and dancing to the music. Was quite an experience.

• Like 1

this book might be of interest to some people,

Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain by neurologist Oliver Sacks.

Covers many different forms of synesthesia, auditory hallucinations and other related topics.

certainly not what i was expecting to find on my partners parent's bookshelf!

I have that book in audiobook, it was a jolly good listen..

I have another one about interesting brain phenomena, but I cant remember the name off the top of my head, Ill have to look it up when I go home tonight.

Synesthesia. I'm sure it's mostly pretty well known what it is. But basically, your sensory perception merges together. Hearing colours, seeing sounds, tasting emotions, etc.

Is anyone here a synesthete - if so, how does it feel? Has anyone artificially achieved synesthesia - and if you did, how would you suggest a hypothetical person go about trying to achieve it as well (mindset, 'tools', etc)?

Back in the 70s I experienced synesthesia often when peaking on the acid of the time, and it seemed to be dosage related. The higher the dose ,the more profound and bizzare the effects. Curiously, I never experienced it with mushrooms.

Synesthesia. I'm sure it's mostly pretty well known what it is. But basically, your sensory perception merges together. Hearing colours, seeing sounds, tasting emotions, etc.

[artificially achieved synesthesia] no]

With atomic matter, would be as a perceptional extension.

A combination of LSD and sustained NOS will definately bring it about.

Tell me about it, tasted the UV light one night. It's taste can only be described as blue.

? if ^'s true it would be some kind of compound-synesthesia.. normal condition is just a single stimuli experienced in multiple sensory modalities, your example would be a singular stimuli (light-ie color) evoking taste, which again provokes experience of color.

first . is seeing, second . is tasting:

normal would be

. is symultaneous to .

yours would be

. is symultaneous to . leading again back to the first dot

would maybe lead to an infinite loop :wacko:

some people think synesthesia is alot more widespread than is immediately obvious, we had to read an article for psych by a guy named V. S Ramachandran (legend) which speculates about it's prevalence in early childhood, but he suggests might be lost during the extensive pruning of superfluous connections which happens as kids grow. remnants may be left however, this is pretty well known but just cos no one's mentioned it

500px-Booba-Kiki.svg.png

one of the above shapes is called Bouba, the other is called Kiki

which is which?

• Like 1

lol i see what you mean bulls, obviously the round one is bouba. Bs just sound so round, lol. but really even words are synaesthesia; representing objects with a sound, for instance. then it gets even more complicated when it is a written word. thinking too much about this makes me dizzy :S

lol i think theres even a word for words that sound like what they are.. its onomatopoeia.

just goes to show how much we recieve information through many other channels than our 5 basic senses.

what i really like about things like this though, is the more possible you believe these phenomena are, they occur more frequently and become stronger sensations.

Have achieved this artifically, have experienced sound/music form visually but have no real formula for this so probably not much help but feel priviledged for the experience. Would be interesting to have capability to turn this on at will!