The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
migraineur

How Long Are Seeds Viable for?

Hey guys,

I have some loph seeds and some trich seeds. I am wondering how long they will stay viable for. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience on this topic?

Cheers

Migraineur

several years at least, if they are kept cool, dry and in a dark location, but sometimes seed that is purchased is already many years old and may be dormant or non-viable, it is said that some places are selling seed collected 20 years ago and that it is still viable, at the same time many tales of non-viable seed being purchased from cactus seed vendors are not uncommon. If kept in the right conditions the seed may last 50+years, in the wrong conditions it may only last 2-3 years...

while some cactus seed will last many years, I don't think Loph is one of the longer ones. I usually try and sow them by the third year and we never sell them for more than 2. Pachycereus on the other hand I've had some seed for nearly 20 years and have had no perceivable reduction in viability.

i think the harsher the natural conditions of the species the longer the seed will stay viable for, eg: saguaro seeds can apparently last a hundred years staying dormant and waiting for the exact right conditions.

but it seems the fresher your seed, the more of them you will get to germinate.

Thanks for the thread, theres some Loph seed in my cupboard I have started to worry about.

Its only a year old though so it should be fine.

It all depends how fresh the seed was when you bought it. Most cactus seed i tried was viable for at least 5 years. I assume most are viable for a lot longer. Older seed might take more time to germinate and might also need UV Treatment or repeated cycles of drying out and watering but most of it finally comes through. But seed that was stored for 20+ years in the closet of some peruvian Cactus wholesaler BEFORE you even bought it might be kinda difficult. :wink:

Edited by Evil Genius