The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest reville

Catha edulis seed

Cheers guys,

I actually was looking for what A. Madenii seeds should look like, and found out about this scarifying(sp) business (from the ANU botany dept). I have just put a couple of seeds in soem boiling water for minute, and I'll see what happens. Will try tipping them as well.

Anyone else seen genuine a.maidenii seeds, do they go from having an orange cap to white over the course of a year?

nailclippers...of course..!

hehe thanks torsten

Acacia maidenii seed has a fairly light coloured aril. Almost beige. Longifolia has quite an orange colured aril as far as I remember.

Scarification by heat is a hit and miss affair. The seed is only supposed to reach a temperature of 70 deg C or so, which is why the instruction EVERYWHERE say to pour boiling water onto the seed in a cup. By the time the water hits the cold cup it will be down to about 80deg and by the time the seed warms up it also cools the water and it will drop some more. Putting the seed in boiling water for a minute can easily kill it.

There are instructions for scarification (incl nicking) on this site....

Nailclippers,and I thought I came up with

that idea.lol.

Hey Reville,

I'll have some of those Catha edulis seeds. Could you email me with the details. Sorry, I'm in a bit of a rush right now.

I've cleaned up about 9g's of catha seeds already, more to go.

I'll be commencing germ tests tomorrow.

So I'll keep you posted.

I really should have offered to clean and sell seeds for you Rev, looks like you're going to be very busy wink.gif

Ohh, R.corymbosa germ rate is at 50%

Guest reville

excellent.all round.

yeah its a bitch to clean- i hurt my eye last week so at least one order went out as is...

but there was more in it so ime sure they feel compensated.

Im not onto the rivea yet but im having some excellent results from earthalchemies cacti seed.

Torsten,

The orange tipped seeds (longifolia?) are actually germinating now.

I'm still not convinced. Some of the A.Maidenii Tags were just on the ground between a bunch of trees, but the one we got the seeds from actually had a metal tag on one of its branches. Any chance the ANBG could be wrong. The seeds were in a twisted/spirally little seed pod, prolly about 3 inches long if you could stretch, but only about half that length. The seeds were jet black, with a bright orange covering, covering about 1/3 of the seed.

With regards to Cathy, how are you guys going about germinating these guys, any special instructions, or just a bit of patience?

l8r Kai.

Originally posted by squiresk:

I'm still not convinced. Some of the A.Maidenii Tags were just on the ground between a bunch of trees, but the one we got the seeds from actually had a metal tag on one of its branches. Any chance the ANBG could be wrong.

I have found wrong plants in every botanical garden I have been to, EXCEPT ANBG. Not that this means there aren't any, but I was impressed with how thorough they are. if in doubt about whether the tag was actually on the right tree (some people think it's funny to swap them around), you cna go to admin where they keep maps of every bed. You can locate the tree and all it's source info from there. They can also tell you what the ID status is. Most gardens wok on 3 tier system, where only level 3 is reliable (ie ID'ed at flowering by gardens botanist on location).

hehe I just did a search on google for Acacia maidenii and it turned up a map of the location of the plants in the very garden of which you speak smile.gif

http://www.anbg.gov.au/images/maps/acacia/...A-maidenii.html

by the way - any reason why all you guys have been ignoring my A. phlebophylla thread? I am ghenuinely interested to learn about this plant, and it's current cultivation status, but no-one seems willing to talk.

Hi guys, thought you might like this.

it shows non-soaked, and soaked acacia seeds side by side - to give you some idea of the size difference to expect when they are ready to be planted!

850678.jpg

Hows everybodys catha germination going,

I planted about 25 seeds and now have 8 little babies, they certainly took their time. Also I have 3 Acacia maidenii seedlings popping up (out of 5 seeds). I love the way their 'fanleaves' open and close.

Anyone know why they do this?

Kai

To avoid water loss via excessive transpiration?

eccles, we have posted so much re phlebophylla in recent months, so for us the novelty is wearing off wink.gif

Darklight, myself and a few others will re-write the info page on this species soon after the conference with all the latest details.

ahh, sorry Torsten (and co)! I didn't realise. I have only been reading the forums regularly for a couple of months now (or even less maybe). It would be good to discover what the situation with that species is though. See you at EB smile.gif

hey are these still available?? finally i got some extra money...heh....if they are still around where should i send my money too??

-peace

Guest reville

hey dazedsol

seed is still available for while yet

go to the community page and see the Australasian free seed ring

the addy is there

however im not, so itll be the second week in march B4 i process the order

Hi Rev and others who are interested...

I've got real good germination with the khat seeds and they're growing happily.

Someone on the chatroom, i think it was assassin, said that this kind of khat was inactive...Have you tried some, Rev?

Hopefully assassin was just b@llshitting, hey?

Still no answer on the potency of rev's khat.

Please, Rev?

khat varies in potency, but I have never heard of an inactive strain. considering this seed is derived from the staple of the perth somali community, it's appropriate activity would be a safe bet.

There you go, ass-ass-in (haha)

Guest reville

Well the guys who pick it says its OK

Not great but thyre happy with it

They dont chew it - they dry it and make a tea they say a handful of leaves is one cup

Considering the actives break down into a less active form then its definitely active

I mad a brew at the conference and was definitely stimulated

Several others tried it too - I think fractal did not sure of his effects and someone approached me the next day whod finished it off to thank me so it must me active.

Im due to collect more, i know someones been using it a s a weight loss tea with good results.

Whatever their potentcy,

they're beautiful little guys, lovely colours already and only an inch tall.

Can't wait till next summer already.

One other thing, I still haven't been able to figure out whether A. Maidenii seeds should have orange (ANBG) or white (SAB) ends, or whether it matters not. Rev, I can send you some ANBG seeds back if you want. I have 3 little maidens coming up nicely. (Dunno why I'm bothering, gonna have to leave Oz in 2005 anyway. Might come back for my retirement or something.

Kai

you dufus gomoas, it was you! tongue.gif you said it made you go to sleep so i assumed it mustnt have been very strong.