The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Sola

Loph colouring (seedlings)

I noticed the colour variation on these seedlings because they're side by side and was

wondering if I can expect it to continue? I like the different colours but know very little

about why some are red and some green. They are the same variety according to the

packaging and have no reason to doubt it.

If people could explain this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Sola

post-7432-0-51432100-1305346003_thumb.jp

post-7432-0-84171700-1305346386_thumb.jp

post-7432-0-85551400-1305346399_thumb.jp

post-7432-0-51432100-1305346003_thumb.jpg

post-7432-0-84171700-1305346386_thumb.jpg

post-7432-0-85551400-1305346399_thumb.jpg

post-7432-0-51432100-1305346003_thumb.jpg

post-7432-0-84171700-1305346386_thumb.jpg

post-7432-0-85551400-1305346399_thumb.jpg

Hey Sola,

the red seedlings are getting too much light or are more sensitive to light. Don't worry they will survive and grow even if they stayed in the same light intensity.

You should worry if they only get burned. They can handle discoloration but not sunburn

Good luck

Thanks Philocacti,

I think they must be more sensitive because they're both receiving the same amount of light.

At least I think they must be cos they're right next to each other in the same container just next

to a window. The red ones do seem to be growing faster so maybe they are absorbing more light.

Cheers

i have some albino loph and tricho seedlings, they sprouted a few weeks back now and i dont quite know what to do with them, a couple have died and the survivng ones have no pigment at all. any ideas anyone?

Graft them on to Pereskiopsis you can graft them when they are only a few weeks old.

If they dont have much green pigment they probibly wont survive whith out grafting.

Cheers

Got

reddish pigments in seedlings, perhaps reflecting carotenoids, are very common in cactus seedlings and do not in and of themselves indicate anything wrong, sometimes they show up under very low light levels. As long as the plants are growing well there is nothing wrong.

Thanks Archaea, I was wondering whether I'd kept them inside too long? They are getting filtered light through the glass but not like if they were in the shadehouse.

I did put them out for a couple of days but it pissed down with rain so I brought them back in.

Cactus seedlings often grow in the shade of a nurse plant in nature, be it an older cactus, grasses, a shrub or tree etc, they often spend much to all of their lives growing in somewhat shaded or sheltered conditions. Some populations of Lophophora do grow in open sunlit positions, but many are associated with other plants like small trees and shrubs, a part sun condition such as can be found in an east or west facing window is often highly effective to grow these plants, though they may require more shelter and shade initially.

Thanks for your help, that's really handy to know. I eventually want to have these guys growing in more of a natural state in the ground.

So I'll try to mimick the conditions you mentioned. I looked at another thread posted here about the natural habitat and can't wait to try and recreate it when they're big enough.