The Corroboree
ubza_1234

what the hell is that white sh@t

Question

this lil guy was picked with this white stuff on it. Normally i wouldnt worry about it, but i'm worried abour the dreaded paralizing white mould!

So guys, whats the go?

post-4552-0-60251800-1305190100_thumb.jp

post-4552-0-60251800-1305190100_thumb.jpg

post-4552-0-60251800-1305190100_thumb.jpg

10 answers to this question

when in doubt chuck it out

I agree with Quill, it's not worth the risk.

Paralising white mould?! What the hell is that?!

Possibly just bits of the veil?

Paralising white mould?! What the hell is that?!

my mate didnt dry his shrooms propperly. It grew a mould on it but he didnt see it so he ate it anyway. Next thing he knew he was draggin his arms and legs around like a zombie, partialy paralized from the neck down. No long term damage but he said it wasnt fun. Later his mate said, "oh, btw dont eat those shrooms, they have mould on tthem" "ya... I know..."

Subs are notorious for causing temporary paralysis and spasms. It could just be the subs that caused this...Alternatively, perhaps the other cases of paralysis are due to small amounts of mould. You could be onto something. Who's up for some bioassays :devil:

Mushrooms when exposed to sufficient humidity will revert back into tertiary mycelium. A good mould test is to get a cotton bud, or in this case something not coloured white and wipe the believed to be affected area. If the colour rubs off onto your cotton bud then it's mould and it's sporulating.

Could you get a better picture of the mushoom cap? Unfortunately your thumb is the focal point of that photo.

Ive always believed that white sh@t to be veil remnants. Not sure why it occurs on some and not others.

Distracted is right. And subs, being woodlovers, are known to occasionally have paralysing effects. As far as I've read, there's no unanimous theory for this phenomena. One suggestion is high baeocystin levels. There's mould on numerous things you'll eat today (bread, fruit, rice, cheese, nuts etc; all in varying degrees), and it generally doesn't lead to paralysis. If anything, it's usually nausea and gastro that follow the consumption of large amounts of mould.

the paralysing effects occur in all wood lovers exclusively and Id suggests its probably caused by a semi-neuro-toxic metabolite of their lignious substrate.