The Corroboree
migraineur

Opinions Needed on What to Grow

Hi guys,

Are there any ethnobotanicals worth planting or growing at this time of year?

I would like to grow some HBWR, mimosa hostilis, rivea corymbosa, B. caapi, T. Iboga, P Viridis, syrgian rue and some acacia. I have a few of these in pots but would like to expand my collection.

I think it would be best for me to wait until the warmer months to grow iboga as it can be fragile but what about the others I mentioned? I am also open to suggestions of other ethnos.

I've also got various cactus seeds on hand which I think I should plant sooner rather than later but I worry about the cold. I've got some acacia maidenii seeds too. By the way, I live in Perth so the climate is considered mediterranean.

Any information and suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Migraineur

well i know that Autumn is the best time of the year to plant seeds not sure about cacti or iboga but all the rest should be fine this time of the year

not sure if you have rivea or morning glory yet but i have both if you need, i've heard iboga is better sown fresh?, that being said, a hot box near a windowsill would warm things up, datura seems to be sprouting like mad :bootyshake:

If you haven't planted the HBWR yet, go easy on the watering when they're young.

When I planted mine, a few rotted at the base quite badly. Despite my best efforts to save the ones that rotted only 1 has recovered and is growing outside alongside the healthy one.

I've got them planted in a frost-free area with plastic around the outside in the hope to trap some warmth this winter.

This being said, I'm not sure how hard Perth gets hit by the cold, so use your judgement. Once the HBWR get going, they can take a bit of abuse.

Edited by Shadow2

The Syrian Rue and Acacia's should do really well atm, the others might be alright as long as you keep glass or plastic film over them to

retaing the heat and humidity. Where I am is Meditteranean and there's not much I can't get to germinate atm.

The tropicals will probably be fine, they'll just slow their growth or even go dormant but as long as you don't have a frost they'll just pick up when the weather warms up.

Now is a great time of year to grow Winter ethnobotanicals, save your tropical seed and patience for when they will thrive best.

I think attempting an Iboga germination now without a very controlled environment will probably result in heartbreak.

Trichocereus cacti should be fine as long as you are germinating them with bottom heat.

Good beginner ethnos for growing in the colder months (imho):

* Sceletium species

* Artemisia absinthum

* Desmanthus illinoensis (this would make a good winter substitute for Mimosa)

none other than the king of ethnobotanicals catha edulis is the best suited to our climate, survives drought and frost like a streetwalker survives crabs.

At the moment I have 4 catha edulis seedlings that are a few months old, I have 3 B. Caapi plants, 1 P. Viridis and a small HBWR. I also have a bunch of san pedro seedlings, 2 big Eileen cuttings and a few lophs. I bring them all in at night at the moment (except for the grown Eileen cuttings). I also bought a 130 watt fluro grow light yesterday so that I can give them some light and protection in the Winter when the weather is too horrible outisde.

So, can I assume that it is safe for me to plant my acacia maidenii seeds at the moment?

What are your thoughts about growing mimosa hostilis and rivea corymbosa ethnos at the moment?

Please excuse me if some of my writing doesn't make sense at the moment. I'm battling a horrible 2 day migraine at the moment :(

Are you planting into the ground or pots? If the ground, now is an excellent time to buy some small rooted cuttings of catha's, acacia's etc. They will continue to grow a little bit over winter and be ready to power on as soon as spring hits. In pot's is usually not so successful as the small mass of soil will chill to the cold winter air temp too. Earth is much warmer. I lost iboga's in winter, it never got even close to zero deg C but they are rather sensitive (plus they were in pots). Don't know how cold it gets in Perth but the caapi should also do well if planted in the ground.

you could buy a green house to protect all ya little seedlings

i got one just the other day from bunnings not to bad size for $99

If you have the space, set up a well lit room with a radiator set too 20 degree, should be able to grow everything there. Good way to give seedlings a leg up over the colder months ;)

migrainure, carrying in, the plants over night doesn't realy help them, often they even grow slower than the plants left outside.

if you place frost mildly, than the shelter of a tree or building or shade cloth is good enough to protect them.

if it frosts extreemly hard, than you might want to carry them in over night.

be reminded, perth (your location) is the original home town of catha edulis in australia,

you got 20m tall catha edulis trees there, and nobody carries them indoors over night.

this would be a task, that only shrek could do, and as far as i know, he lives in a swamp, which is unsuitable for growing qat. but gee, shrek grows super mitragynas.

Edited by planthelper

Wouldn't Shrek's young mitragynas die over a cold Winter? or would they only drop leaves? Occasionally it reaches 0 degrees and there can be ice on windscreens in the morning and the grass too.

What would happen to young B. Caapi?

Edited by planthelper

a young mitragyna, might survive a mild frost, 2 year or more, old plants, certainly will survive.

once the stem is as thick as a 50 cent coin's diametre, they'll be fine.

they look dead, but come back to life in spring.

same for caapi, it's mostly a question of your local microclimat.

i heard stories of people planting out 5 caapi plants and only one would survive...

i advise all you people with the same or similar issue, to go for a walk in your area and look out for, papaya (carica papaya) and mango (mangifera indica) trees.

than you copy the microclimate you found those trees growing. the best info about youre micro climat, is obtained by walking and observing after some frost has occured!!!!!

if no mangoes or papayas grow in your area than it's to cold for those plants.

Edited by planthelper

i live in perth and have a mango tree and it is fine over winter had for about 4 years now

I get acacia's to germinate in all but the coldest periods of winter, keep an eye on the weather and make sure you've

got at least 4-5 days of sunshine and they should be alright. You can keep a pane of glass ove the pots to maintain

warmth if you're worried and of course a greenhouse/ glasshouse/ cold frame is ideal. There are many designs

and they can be knocked up from cheap material, salvage stuff. Then you can germinate all year round regardless of the weather.

But of course if you're worried you can always wait til it warms up.