The Corroboree
Sola

Coleus blumei

mine i got from the sab site. i got all three varieties but didnt take pics when i had it :(

I've grown at least 8 different forms of Coleus over the years, I never found it more psychoactive than burning carbon or meditating, but that is me and I have a really hard time getting placebo effects or even noticing subtle effects in general. I've heard that Coleus is active in a sense but the idea that it can do what Salvia is known to do (such as amazing psychedelic journeys where one encounters beautiful otherworldly beings) just seems silly to me.

There does seem to be a lot of mythology and even BS about Coleus, I've heard that it is totally psychedelic if you eat 1-2 leaves from many people who said they did it, I've heard that it takes hundreds of leaves just to get a mild sedative effect from other people who said they did it, and everything in between. I'd really like to take an inert leaf of some sort, maybe maple or something and tell someone it is active and give it to them and see what they report, I bet that getting someone to report that writing paper is active if smoked or eaten is merely a matter of suggestion.

I supposed you did take photographs of what you grew and tested??

I can describe exactly in what sense Coleus is psychoactive.

Some people have reported a mild 3 hour psylocybin-like trip with some 140 leaves eaten. Dunno about that myself, but I think there might be some truth in that.

When you smoke a couple of leaves of coleus it's hard to distinguish any real effect, but it becomes apparent if you activate with smoking some green. The high is heightened senses and stimulation, no matter the weed quality.

I feel it is psychedelic in the classic sense and not SD. I read today what Ratsch says, it's wrong I think, that comparison to SD and it probably is due to the fact they found unknown diterpenes in Coleus too.

It could be interesting to know if forskolin is psychoactive in some way - it might contain this after all.

will try to pick some seed this year

hey archaea, ever got high by Brugs flower aroma? :lol:

Edited by mutant

i'm down for some coleus seeds mutant ;D i think getting a plant or leaf matter into the country may be a lil tricky/ilegal but seeds should be fine. Cause you dont llive here in aus do you?

oh also mutant, have you tried a variety of coleus types? Yellow type, pink type, purple type etc? To see if there is a difference in effects?

I have noted at least 2 other types, once I got one of them but I killed it for some reason.

No I haven't bioessayed another strain, but I tell you this looks like the original erect , non dwarf strain.

Gonna search for those seeds

i never took photographs or tried to smoke it, i just tried 1-2 dozen leaves chewed as a quid...

i tried a loose form that is good with hanging baskets, it branches a lot and has smaller leaves

I tried some large leave forms, one was variegated but threw a branch that was all green, one was red and green and the other was purplish red

I tried a form with small leaves that had red and green and white leaves

in every case though the flowers were pretty much identical

I've had some effects from datura scents, yes, including growing one in a window indoors and i believe that it may have made my dreams more vivid, the scent of the flowers in the room seemed to affect my dreams, hard to say because it is so subjective.

these are all from previous years

DSCN2764.jpg

the right strain [3x] VS a pretty commecrial strain

DSCN5678.jpg

biggies and in flower. Note it becomes quite bigger than that if you give it more space.

DSCN1860.jpg

these are in a more sunny spot. The lady that first gave me the plant said "you should" expose it to direct sun so as it makes these beautiful colours in the leaves, and indeed this is true. Most of the plants seen in these photos were in a spot of only little direct sun, except the last one, which received some hours of noon and afternoon sun. One can see the difference.

Archaea it seems you never did the the right 'tek' for coleus. It should be over 80 up to 140 leaves quid and couple leaves smoked. I think even the flower spike will be active. I think I know the type good for hanging baskets. It's the most common here, in nursearies too.

The strain I am talking about is never "hangy", it's erect all the way. Waaaaaay bigger leaves than the commercial strains.

psychoactive aromas

I had a direct psychoactive effect from yellow-orange brugmansia 'insignis X', very distict, very reliable [experiment repeated couple times more, and confirmed from a second person] . In fact, if I am up at the roof and lighting up some, and the yellow brug is in bloom, I sometimes cut the flowers and put them a bag [in an attempt to kill the aroma] cause it psychoeffects me. Pink and White brug are not so 'aromatically active', they have hardly affected me. A very cool and easy experiment to perform.

Edited by mutant

The mythology of brugmansia is filled with tales of merely being near the plant having strange effects and consequences

yeah, I remember: 'if you sleep under a Devils trumpet tree, you will dream you fly' or stuff like this. Obviously this derives from being near a flowering brug , not just a brug.

My friend said that he got mild effects from this when smoked with weed. He usually gets nothing from most of the things i give him claiming psychoactivity so there must be something in it.

In a lot of the material reported on the internet some of the effects reported are mild visual effects, fairly strong sedative effects and obvious dry mouth and other effects that suggest mild or subtle anticholinergic effects.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

Afraid I haven't read through everything, but reading about the mention of Mazatecs using Coleus when Salvia was unavailable, does it ever mention any psychoactivity from the plant? Perhaps they used the Coleus as a substitute just so the ritual (was ritual mentioned?) could go forth as it was meant to, with or without the psychoactive component?

It kind of all comes from a paper written by Wasson, where he says he was told both that coleus was and was not active and used like salvia divinorum.

Considering it isn't native to mexico, coleus may have been introduced in mexico less than a century before Wasson wrote his paper.

If there is use it isn't of antiquity or traditional to the point of proceeding the introduction of the plant itself.

Wasson never claims outright that it is active, just that he was told it was and then he was told it wasn't, but since that paper there has been a lore of the activity of coleus as akin to salvia, which seems questionable.

Coleus is not psychoactive as far as I can tell.

hey mutant unlike others i'd like to try something before i make judgement rather than rely on written evidence so if you get seeds from your tall variety id love to try some out if you can spare any.

can honestly say i've never seen coleus other than little ground hugging plants and i havent shut my mind to the plant as others have.

sure, my big one is budding now, so you're getting some too.

ubza

moses

PS: I'd better send fresh, so I wont search for any older seed I might have

PS2: the thing with coleus activity being akin with SD is probably due to diterpenes found in it. and it's a wrong assumption anyway.

Edited by mutant

Afraid I haven't read through everything, but reading about the mention of Mazatecs using Coleus when Salvia was unavailable, does it ever mention any psychoactivity from the plant? Perhaps they used the Coleus as a substitute just so the ritual (was ritual mentioned?) could go forth as it was meant to, with or without the psychoactive component?

Exactly and let's keep in mind it's not native to the Americas it comes from Asia.

Oh and yes I've tried Coleus about a million different times and ways.... never felt a thing. Things that are truly active you don't have to wish into being psychoactive, they knock you over the head with the experience even if you ignore it. Eat an 8th of 'shrooms and ignore it, forget you even took it, if you still feel it, it's active.

^^^

double-facepalm.jpg

Edited by mutant
  • Like 2

How does its origin have any relation to its potential to be psychoactive? Or its possible use by Mazatapecs? As an example, locals in some mountain areas of Oaxaca seek out collections of Ps.cubensis -an introduced species - when their local varieties are unavailable for a variety of reasons.

I have tried and reckon a 2 leaf quid is 'active' :scratchhead:

Fresh leaves :rolleyes:

Doesn't have to knock your head off in order

to be a potent teacher.

I had some greenish tinge to my vision.

Close eyed, I was having hypnogogic images of swamp-thing orchid ladies.

That real bright pink one with lush green.

Just have a talk with it, chew some leaves

and lay down to meditate :excl:

or get kickass at the placebo tek.

Don't ask me which is which tho :worship:

Nobody ever seems to have strong experiences from this plant, really no effects that couldn't be contributed to placebo, when somebody has a Salvia-like or Mushroom-like trip, then I'll believe it.

damiana seems active to me, however, not strongly enough for a friend to notice its subtle effects. It makes sence that some strains are less active then others, obviously the active chemical(s) are in small amounts or are not potent or perhaps there are a group of that are in the correct balance to become mildly active. The annnoying thing is i wouldnt be surprised if the growing conditions effect this balance/level so seeds from mutant, who seems to be in the perfect location, may not be as active here in australia. Hmmm...

Nobody ever seems to have strong experiences from this plant, really no effects that couldn't be contributed to placebo, when somebody has a Salvia-like or Mushroom-like trip, then I'll believe it.

so by your statement above anything with less than a "salvia or mushroom trip" is not active and we have all been duped by placebo effect????

• Like 1

No but I'd like something more that "i think, I kinda, sorta felt...."