The Corroboree
vual

IRC chat room.

im unsure of how to pm in the irc, but i doubt ill be going back anyway.

I dont know, 24-7 just doesn't sit right with me ! Its nothing more than eavesdropping really !

I mean whats the point ?

Is this why none of the other old regulars come in anymore ?

maybe we can open another chat room that isn't accesible to everyone and is invite only B)

Nothing personal against who is doing this. Just calling it how i see it ! Maybe your totally innocent and are not monitoring every single solitary word thats said in the lab... but then again :scratchhead:

Re: the two three posts above mine

I've removed AustNet from my auto-connect (so if for what ever reason my client dies and restarts, I won't be idling) and furthermore if I do jump in to chat I'll disconnect afterward. It's a lot harder than I thought to prove I'm not recording the conversations.

As for my reasoning behind 24/7 idling, it's just how I use IRC. My client is weechat which runs on my server. I barely ever connect to the client with the intentions of talking in a certain chat room I connect and see what's going on. If something interesting is happening in #bitcoin on freenode, I'll chat there. One of the torrent IRC channels, I'll chat there.

Not looking to start anything, just my reasoning behind why I did it.

Edited by at0m

edit :

I've removed AustNet from my auto-connect (so if for what ever reason my client dies and restarts, I won't be idling) and furthermore if I do jump in to chat I'll disconnect afterward. It's a lot harder than I thought to prove I'm not recording the conversations

I appreciate that man. Just dont know why you didnt pull it earlier after our communications. Still look forward to chatting in there with ya.

And If there does happen to be a secret underground alternative chat room.. feel free to pm me with an invite guys B)

Edited by tipz

except for when i'm sleeping or at work I check on irc aprox every 30 minutes. If i had to join/quit every 30 minutes i'd never see anyone. If nobody idled no-one would be there in the chat room to greet someone so everyone would join, see there's no-one and leave.

I'd say on average two people will join a day. this means some days there are more, and sometimes it'll be days between someone joining the channel.

So you guys have had your say as to what the problem is but what is the solution?

If you'd like I can stop idling in the channel and it can be a ghost town again until the rare occasion a few people log in at the same time.

I see the main problem with you guys is your misconceptions of privacy. You see that room as a private room although it's advertised publicly. I see no reason why someone shouldn't be allowed to idle in a public room, private conversations are for private rooms.

I actually like it when i'm in the channel with someone else and we have a 10 line conversation over a period of 12 hours.

i think the issue was with at0m? idling is harder to tolerate if nobody knows anything about you.

if you are idling and you get kicked so that people can have a private conversation without a non-participating party reading the whole thing later.... don't be annoyed.

in summary, the value of idling is to be more likely to participate in chat, not to catch conversations in which you did not participate.

yeah i'm not fussed when I get kicked and i'm afk really but i don't want the fact that sometimes i'm not at my keyboard to put people off going onto irc

friday night chat :D

people sitting idle doesnt bother me that much. I totally understand it when people are suddenly possessed by dark forces that turn their souls inside out and turn their eyes into deep light devouring pits for hours.