The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

Suillus granulatus

Any one have experience with this mushroom? I found them yesterday and was wondering if they were similarly edible as slippery jacks and whether they taste as good or better?

They are slippery jacks. Both S. luteus and S. granulatus are called slippery jacks. I found both species yesterday, but dried them for use.

us polish folk eat them often, we call them maszlaki. best method of consuming them is to dry them and use in mushroom soups! mmm smasznego!

• Like 1

Trich-Aura; a fellow Polak on these here forums!

Macie tam maślaki w SA?

Are there any mushrooms that have pores that look identical or similar to suillus granulatus? ive found seriously a 100 or so in a gregarious bunch under some local pines but im wondering whether they ar Chalciporus piperatus? Does the skin on the cap of these also peel?? The cap was fairly dry so a dull colour rather tan the sharp viscid brown Im used to.

If they were Chalciporus piperatus, they would still be edible. The flavour would be an obvious way to tell.

they look like suillus granulatus except their cap is lighter and the stem is slighly yellowish and bulbous at the base. WHen Ive found luteus in the past I remember the stem being almost white and the cap being quit brown and slimy. Any dangerous ones or give it a crack?

ill post a pic in a few hours.

I think they might actually be Suillus brevipes or Suillus subacerbus? Are they edible?

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

I've have no experience with C. piperatus. Did you take a spore print? If they're C. piperatus, they should have "cigar brown" spore print. If Suillus granulatus, they should have an orange-brown spore print. From the pictures I've seen of Chalciporus piperatus, it does look like a good match for that species.

I just found a large family of S. granulatus in Thornleigh! Never seen them in Sydney before, and there was not a pine for miles. There was an elm nearby; don't know if those two have a myco-love thing going on.

Nearby there was a small bunch of Cortinarius sp. Maybe archeri. Cute little buggers.

(Sorry. Didn't have camera with me.)

That is all.

Really, Thornleigh? That's incredible! Nice find.

Once I compared the two I am certain that the mushroom pictured here above is not a slippery jack.

No shit, Tripsis. True story! What's more, a few weeks ago I found a small patch of Lactarius deliciosus under a Scott's pine in a suburban front yard in Frenchs Forest! I'll go back and get photos soon. Incredible!

And Zen, I think you're right. The fruit above is indeed a bit too red/orange for a Suillus granulatus/luteus.

That's crazy...! Have to start looking around Sydney more it seems. There's some cedar (?) trees growing near to where I now live. Used to live around here almost ten years ago. There used to be A. muscaria in association with the trees, but now there's a grey Russula species. I've never seen Russula in association with exotic tree species in Australia before. Hopefully they'll fruit again after the next rains and I can pics.

Yesterday I dined on 5 beautifully formed, button sized suillus with the skin peeled and the pores removed before cooking for breakfast. Fried with butter, olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper and served on toast.

3 hours later Diorreah and stomach cramps, and they didn't taste that fantastic either. This lasted all day.

Won't waste time on suillus again, bummer though because I could potentially pick hundreds of kg's... would make a good food source.

The way I see it if only five can have this effect then there is something in them that just isn't good for you.

Trich-Aura; a fellow Polak on these here forums!

Macie tam maślaki w SA?

tak mamy maslakow w SA, rydza i nawat mamy prawdziwki.

my polish spelling is probably not very good, I only went to polish school for a year. and it was boring so didn't pay too much attention

Yesterday I dined on 5 beautifully formed, button sized suillus with the skin peeled and the pores removed before cooking for breakfast. Fried with butter, olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper and served on toast.

3 hours later Diorreah and stomach cramps, and they didn't taste that fantastic either. This lasted all day.

Won't waste time on suillus again, bummer though because I could potentially pick hundreds of kg's... would make a good food source.

The way I see it if only five can have this effect then there is something in them that just isn't good for you.

you sure it was a suilius? there are other yellow pored mushrooms which are poisonous. or maybe you picked them in a polluted area? my auntie cooks up a soup from suilius she picks locally. our whole family has been eating it for years and no-ones ever gotten sick. imo I think suilius is more suited to soups then cooking them up and eating as a side dish

Edited by Shroom-Aura

Yeah I am sure they were suillus, but not sure if they were luteus or granulatus...

I agree though that it seems the consensus from a google search on them that mainly they are dried and used in soups.

I still feel they can't be 'choice' as an edible due to the cramping which I am still experiencing over 24 hours later... :puke:

on wikipedia it says the "tubes"??? are best removed and they are known to cause stomach upsets.

luteus has a distinctive ring around it, i've read somewhere thats the best way to id it. I would probably classify them as a low-grade edible at best. from memory I think S. luteus is supposed to be the better one but its not as common.

Edited by Shroom-Aura

After all that they tasted shitter than one I had that was larger a few years back. I wont be collecting these again :(

Bummer thanks for the report. did you remove the skin an pores before you ate them? And what was you method of preperation?