The Corroboree
solomon

Sore Throat

Didn't know where to put this..

My throats been really sore for the last couple of days.

I don't like a lot of the commercial remedies as they often contain pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine which make me anxious and hyper which I don't like..

Any one got any good remedies for a sore throat?

Edited by centipede

marshmallow flowers and the wee green bit that holds the flower are really good to eat for sore throat. image search or ask your ma or pa, they will know what it looks like and there is prob a plant in your garden somewhere, they are a bit weedy :)

Not sure what the rules are in NZ, but theoretically a few coca teabags in a cup with honey would work wonders.

Also, by extension, a brew of milo, lucuma powder, honey, and milk heated up, with a dash of coca-teabag-soaked-highproofvodka would be wonderful, too.

Edited by FancyPants

lemon, honey with a teaspoon of cayenne pepper in warm water, and sip will take about half a day to a full day till its gone

Try mixing a drop or two of clove oil into a large teaspoons worth of honey, manuka preferably & swallow slowly allowing the mixture to coat the inside of your throat. The clove oil will act as a local anesthetic.

sage is great for sore throats i usually just get one or two leaves and suck on them and try and get all the juice on to my sore throat or you could always make a tea with honey and lemon and sage :)

lemon, honey with a teaspoon of cayenne pepper in warm water, and sip will take about half a day to a full day till its gone

Apple Cidar Vinegar can be worth adding to the mix as well. :wink:

yeah had awesome success with the mixture due to the cayenne pepper being a anti-bacterial. better than any otc medicine i have ever had.

Cayenne pepper is amazing. I personally use it by itself (no water) most of the time. :)

Try fresh lemon balm leaves if you have them and make some tea with it.

Very good for sore throats, hope u feel better soon.

Simply hot water, people often flavour the hot water to taste, or even put paracetemol or other things in there.

Hot = good for throat, cold = inflammation.

betadine throat gargle,

just has iodine in it,

one or two zaps of that and it'll be gone in a few days

betadine throat gargle,

just has iodine in it,

Cayenne pepper works better in my experience.

betadine throat gargle,

just has iodine in it,

Betadine throat gargle works a treat (I use it myself), but from memory there are potential health risks associated with it. I can't find the link now, but I checked up on its safety during pregnancy a while back and there were some reports of it having potential to cause birth defects. Not sure how reliable the reports were, but I thought it worth mentioning.

1 cup hot water, dissolve 1/2 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp turmeric, wait til it cools a little and gargle. 2-3 times per day

if you can tolerate dairy: 1 cup milk boiled with 1/2 tsp turmeric, can add sugar if you want. sip slowly. can do morning and night a little after gargling.

licorice tea with ginger is good too.

i'd be very careful with that suggestion for clove oil. would be safer to just suck on a clove.

Thanks very much guys, what a helpful bunch of people.

Yesterday I used what I had in the house/garden:

Lemon balm

Lemon juice

Manuka honey

Wee bit of cayenne

Cap full of Apple cider vinegar

Not that bad of a beverage.. I can't believe how much lemon balm there is around the place.

My throat feels much better today, something must have done the trick