The Corroboree

abandoned

Edited by dworx
  • Like 2

Thats what I did wrong....I laid it down like sugar cane...they all looked great at first and then one by one they died.....

thank you for that, I will give it a go as described....they sell well at the markets.....

Thanks for the tip Dworks. I have been reading about Bamboo a bit lately and would love to add some to my garden. I am aware that there are 'running' species and 'clumping' species, and even though i would go for the clumping type, I would still like to confine it. I would rather not use a pot to do this, as it would take the beauty away from the bamboo. I have read that there are polyethylene root barriers that you can use to confine the bamboo somewhat. What are your takes on this Dworks, do you believe that a barrier would work for a clumping type of bamboo or do you think it would be unnecessary?

There is something about bamboo that really appeals to me, maybe its the spirit within.

Looking at the above diagram more, am wondering what is the benefit of planting it on a 45deg' angle? I am thinking it may be so as the new shoots can grow up without any hindrance?

Thanks for the tip Dworks. I have been reading about Bamboo a bit lately and would love to add some to my garden. I am aware that there are 'running' species and 'clumping' species, and even though i would go for the clumping type, I would still like to confine it. I would rather not use a pot to do this, as it would take the beauty away from the bamboo. I have read that there are polyethylene root barriers that you can use to confine the bamboo somewhat. What are your takes on this Dworks, do you believe that a barrier would work for a clumping type of bamboo or do you think it would be unnecessary?

There is something about bamboo that really appeals to me, maybe its the spirit within.

You should have no issue with clumping ones running in my experience...I have two wonderful species and they don't leave their garden beds....One will be over 35 meters in height when fully grown...only about 15-20 at the moment so got a bit to go....brilliant feature...

Dworks, have you been to the Bamboo seller on the Bruce Highway near Howard....(can't remember his name) If you haven't it is worth the drive down if just to walk through the gardens of bamboo and gingers..... just beautiful ...I wonder how he went in the floods...I know he floods in there easy as I think he borders the Burrum river...

abandoned

Edited by dworx

abandoned

Edited by dworx
  • Like 1

abandoned

Edited by dworx

abandoned

Edited by dworx

abandoned

Edited by dworx

I don't remember what it is....I brought it on the second day after we moved into this place 6 or so years ago...It is a big specimen but I have lost the little tag... I could put up a photo in the morning...what would be the best parts to photo for an id? You are welcome to as many cuttings as you like....

I tried to grow cuttings off it and I buried the whole thing and just left the shoot exposed...they looked alright for awhile but died off...I thought that was how you planted sugar cane.....was going to borrow a couple of lengths from the farm up the road and plant them as a screen.....

I didn't realize that they only take 7 years to get to their full height...mine better get a move on or it is not going to be as big as the guy told me...it put no new growth up at all last year but has be quit vigorous since all this rain...

I've still got that Psychotria Alba...or is it a carth, for you if you want it...

abandoned

Edited by dworx

abandoned

Edited by dworx

I don't get to town often but in saying that I was there on Monday.......We must catch up and at some point....don't forget the meet I have planned....your still on the invite list....hope you will be able to make it...

abandoned

Edited by dworx

I would love to be there just not sure yet, my daughter is swimming states in brisbane soon and have swim carnivals near every week, trainin everyday???? If she does ok at states it is off to Nationals..

I have been their before, in the end I think it was I that was doing the training...tongue.gif...hope she does well...

abandoned

Edited by dworx

back to bamboo,

when the plant is first kicking off a natural fertiliser like manure is good, then once estabblished and High Nitrogen fert is fine, They are big on Nitrogen.

If you are growing for screens etc and you only want 8 feet high for example but you know your plant will grow to 50ft, you can let it grow to 9feet high and then trim one foot off the tip and the main culm will not grow anymore. This is also good because if [clumping] a shoot pops up where you don't want it you can jsut kick it off at ground level or shovel through it just under ground level.

It takes seven years for a new plant to grow culms to maturity, and every culm that grows will live for approximately seven years.

abandoned

Edited by dworx

abandoned

Edited by dworx

Have you made anything from the Bamboo that you grow Dworx?. You could make an awesome flutes out of it.

abandoned

Edited by dworx

Thanks Dworx, a lot of very useful info there...thanks heaps...

My property suffers with some type of fungus that attacks everything I put in the ground, mainly poincianas, acacias, and jacarandas...seems natives (most) cope with it well enough. As I said before my bamboo missed one season of growth (last year). Would you think it could have been fungal or is that normal for a bamboo IYO....

I need to spray my place with a lot of copper oxy chloride....all except my Rivea, MG and HBWR....no anti fungal sprayed thererolleyes.gif, just to get things to grow..

When would you recommend I retry to take some cuttings off my bamboo? wait for spring or do you think our climate is okay for nearly anytime? I am setting myself up with a stall at the Gin Gin markets selling mainly plants....bamboo sells very well...

I plan on making some stuff out of mine down the track...maybe some of these.. (not for the markets)

0evv18809l0ll8acukm37.jpg

Only for looking at of course....I heard that you need to seal them very well as fiber from the bamboo can have a disastrous effect on your lungs...could be folk law, not sure but would recommend caution myself...any thoughts there dworx?

I will make an effort today to put a photo up of my largest bamboo....like to know exactly what it is again....

Take care...

abandoned

Edited by dworx

abandoned

Edited by dworx