The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

First subs of the 2011 season!

I used to get confused looking for subs in S.A becuase they did seem different. I always go (I live in W.A but born in Adelaide) into the hills to a few spots and the subs there do have really thin stems, seem to bruise with less colour than in WA & Vic, and seem to always be smaller (although that could just be my timing) They also seem a tad more golden than copper also.

I have only hunted in SA in winter, and I have often wondered whether they are the same.

A few more

post-7065-0-26220100-1302931408_thumb.jp

post-7065-0-82279500-1302931421_thumb.jp

post-7065-0-26220100-1302931408_thumb.jpg

post-7065-0-82279500-1302931421_thumb.jpg

post-7065-0-26220100-1302931408_thumb.jpg

post-7065-0-82279500-1302931421_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mt.B

my first flush of SA subs for the year

post-513-0-25015000-1303637980_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trich-Aura
  • Like 1

mowing my lawn up in the Dandenongs today I felt bad when I chopped half a dozen subs... Poor little guys...

My "Old Faithful" patch is fruiting as of this week. I'll put some snaps up soon.

IMGP0906.jpg

IMGP0905.jpg

IMGP0913.jpg

IMGP0907.jpg

Although only photographing this year, I can say from many years visiting this spot and experiencing the mushrooms first-hand that these are either:

1) subs; or

2) another blueing victorian psylocybe that grows in pine and fruits in conjunction with sub season.

I'm not aware of a mushroom that fits description 2) so I'm leaning towards 1), however, I'm open to other opinions.

What would you id them as, the Dude, if not subs?

Im finding a mushroom under a lot of local pines up in the hills that looks very similar to a sub but has a thicker stem and its very white. No obvious blue staining either.

I'm going on my first hunt soon, I thought SA subs were supposed to look like this? 250px-Psilocybe.subaeruginosa.8.jpg

^^^They don't look like subs to me. :blink:

Apparently the Vic ones look different to the SA ones...

I used to get confused looking for subs in S.A becuase they did seem different. I always go (I live in W.A but born in Adelaide) into the hills to a few spots and the subs there do have really thin stems, seem to bruise with less colour than in WA & Vic, and seem to always be smaller (although that could just be my timing) They also seem a tad more golden than copper also.

I have only hunted in SA in winter, and I have often wondered whether they are the same.

They just look very very dry to me.

Yeah, I think that they've just been weathered also... The first one looks like it could be a poisonous one, but I think that's just because of the camera settings which were used.

Im finding a mushroom under a lot of local pines up in the hills that looks very similar to a sub but has a thicker stem and its very white. No obvious blue staining either.

Sounds like one of the poisonous ones to me. Have you compared the texture of the stems?

I'm going on my first hunt soon, I thought SA subs were supposed to look like this? 250px-Psilocybe.subaeruginosa.8.jpg

Whoever took that photo used too much colour. But anyway, yeah, they're the ones...

• Like 1

Yeah now that I look at them again they just look dry, it's just how the tip of the cap is still the caramel colour while the rest had dried that made it look weird.

[edit] I've never seen them dry like that with a uniform two tone colour thing happening.

As long as you know they're the goods then it's allgood I suppose.

Edited by The Dude

The subs here in Victoria vary greatly in appearance. From what i have noticed, it all depends on the environment that they are growing in. I find stubby chunky ones in heavily wood-chipped areas, and tall slender ones in more forest type conditions. Could be very confusing for a first timer.

Do you guys think these are subs? Unfortunately they are past their prime, they are a bit dried out and manky!

They were growing in pine bark wood chips, sheltered under non-native bushes, location: inner northern suburbs of Melbourne.

I didnt take any pics of where they were growing as I didnt have a camera with me, but I left plenty of small fruit, so when I go back I can take some pics then.

shroomies02.jpg

shroomies03.jpg

shroomies01.jpg

yum :shroomer: ... although your gnome may want to brew the manky ones. Also there's a bit of excess myc there so your gnome might get dirt in its mouth. Whenever my gnome gets too much myc on a shroom he snips it off with his gnome fingernails and either chucks it somewhere nearby to spread the myc or puts it in another bag for use in the cardboard tek later.

My friend had his first hunt today. Went for a walk in the Adelaide Hills, grabbed a bunch of mushrooms, not sure which ones are safe and which ones aren't (despite having read many, many web pages and books on the topic). Can anybody ID these for him? The last one looks especially suss. They were nearly all found at the bases of trees.

Album link

I've linked to the album to save space, but I can chuck the pictures in my post if you prefer.

Edited by Hazard

My friend had his first hunt today. Went for a walk in the Adelaide Hills, grabbed a bunch of mushrooms, not sure which ones are safe and which ones aren't (despite having read many, many web pages and books on the topic). Can anybody ID these for him? The last one looks especially suss. They were nearly all found at the bases of trees.

Album link

I've linked to the album to save space, but I can chuck the pictures in my post if you prefer.

None of those are subs, do not eat.

Subs won't grow off trees themselves but on wood/leaf litter or from soil that's highly concentrated in... cellulose? Wood stuff!

Doopie sp: It's hard to tell on your photos, but it seems to me like you may have some Leratiomyces ceres in among your subs, and you don't want to eat those... Go through each one and check for blue bruising. If it ain't bruised, do not eat.

Then again, it could just be the lighting in your images...

None of those are subs, do not eat.

Subs won't grow off trees themselves but on wood/leaf litter or from soil that's highly concentrated in... cellulose? Wood stuff!

Damn, he did bad? They weren't all from trees, and the ones that were weren't attached to the tree, just growing in the soil against the base. Guess he'll have to try harder next time. Then again, it does say not to trust you so... :scratchhead:

Definitely definitely no subs in there.

Growing from the base of trees they could be Gymnopilus, maybe Armillaria.

(despite having read many, many web pages and books on the topic).

The books should say:

Caramel coloured caps, white stems (with no ring), blue marks where damaged, purple/dark brown spore prints. Growing from woodchips (not soil or trees).

None of your friend's mushrooms have any of the characteristics described above.

Try Google image search 'Psilocybe subaeruginosa' and note the differences, it will help you differentiate them in the field.

very rarely. they can do but it's not typically what they look like. they typically look like that photo I posted (see post #54)

Edited by Shroom-Aura

I can confirm that subs are out and about in the metropolitan Sydney area (<5km from the coast).

Spotted a small solitary while bushwalking with the kids.

...Whenever my gnome gets too much myc on a shroom he snips it off with his gnome fingernails and either chucks it somewhere nearby to spread the myc or puts it in another bag for use in the cardboard tek later.

Yeah thats a good idea. I have scattered it about mixed up with some fresh woodchips and covered with pea straw. Hopefully a new bed will start.