The Corroboree
t st tantra

smokable lsa's from common house plant!!!

here's some info i found, some has already been posted

Native American ethnobotany By Daniel E. Moerman

Carex species often used as emetics

Carex brevior - Iriquois indians- compound infusion of plant taken for evacuation of the placenta

Dictionary of alkaloids, Volume 1

By Ian W. Southon, Geoffrey A. Cordell, John Buckingham

i was looking at a preview of this book, there is probably more cyperaceae references and the rotundus information could be incomplete. this is in bold. tantra didn't you attribute a stimulant effect to these plants in general?

Carex brevicollis:

brevicarine

brevicolline

dehydrobrevicolline

7 hydroxy-1-methyl-β-carboline

4-(19methyl-2-piperidyl)-β-carboline

Carex parva:

Brevicarine

Cyperus rotundus:

octopamine ®-form

pharmakopoeia by dale pendell

Scirpus atrovirens - the Tarahumara revere and fear this plant, claiming that the powers of the plant would drive anyone foolish enough to cultivate it insane.

the Tarahumara report that the species of rush that they call 'bakana' induces brilliantly colored visions, as well as the ability to travel great distances and to speak with the dead'

a fungus that reportedly infects every cultivar produces ergot alkaloids.

it would be good to check the following books for info especially the first two.

"Field Guide to the Sedges of the Pacific Northwest"

"Cyperaceae of economic, ethnobotanical and horticultural importance"

"Sedges: Uses, Diversity, and Systematics of the Cyperaceae"

anyway i was mentioning Cyperus rotundus in the other thread http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...c=22239&hl= and maybe because of it's significance as a weed, wiki has a list of actives known to occur in it. wiki had no similar info for other cyperaceae.

Folk Medicine

The plant is used in popular medicine:

* In the Traditional Chinese medicine it is considered the primary qi regulating herb.

* The plant is mentioned in the ancient Indian ayurvedic medicine Charaka Samhita (ca. 100 A.D.). Modern ayurvedic medicine uses the plant for treating fevers, digestive system disorders, dysmenorrhea and other maladies.

* Arabs of the Levant traditionally use roasted tubers, while they are still hot, or hot ashes from burned tubers, to treat wounds, bruises, carbuncles, etc.

Modern uses and studies

Modern alternative medicine recommends using the plant to treat nausea, fever and inflammation; for pain reduction; for muscle relaxation and many other disorders.

Several pharmacologically active substances have been identified in Cyperus rotundus: α-cyperone, β-selinene, cyperene, cyperotundone, patchoulenone, sugeonol, kobusone, and isokobusone, that may scientifically explain the folk- and alternative-medicine uses.

Food

Despite the bitter taste of the tubers, they are edible and have a nutritional value. The plant is known to have been eaten in Africa in famine-stricken areas.

In addition, the tubers are an important nutritional source of minerals and trace elements for migrating birds such as cranes.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

I was wondering if this is Spider Grass. I pick up a load of mulch from the tip and this stuff is coming out of it every where. I just seem to have this strong urge to smoke it and I don't even know what it is :P Strange!

http://i930.photobucket.com/albums/ad146/c...derGrass001.jpg

Hutch :wink:

And YAAAAY! I checked and my link worked. I'm geetin good :lol:

Edited by hutch

definitely not cyperus or related plant.......they have green flowers!

t s t .

Still have an urge to try smoking it I wonder what it is?

Thanks t s t

dunno someone may be able to id it eventually almost looks tuber or bulb like to me :scratchhead:

im not sure this is good advice but ill put it out there for further comments before attempting it

try the sensitivity skin tests rub some fresh material on a sensitive part of your skin if no reaction rub some on your lips, i know this wont help knowing whats in the smoke but it will tell you if your going to have a reaction from the plant in other ways ?

Edited by mac

dunno someone may be able to id it eventually almost looks tuber or bulb like to me :scratchhead:

im not sure this is good advice but ill put it out there for further comments before attempting it

try the sensitivity skin tests rub some fresh material on a sensitive part of your skin if no reaction rub some on your lips, i know this wont help knowing whats in the smoke but it will tell you if your going to have a reaction from the plant in other ways ?

Thanks mac, something I wouldn't have thought of doing. Its not a bulb as it has roots only and It's coming up everywhere. That's the down side I suppose in importing mulch. Sorry to hijack the thread......

This is not related to cyperus sp or other spider grass, but HBWR seedpods and husk.... I don't think this has been discussed elsewhere here apart from this already legendary thread...

There has been mentioned by some that sniffing/smoking the husk dust shows some activity.

Which part of the pod exactly is the 'husk'? DO you include the hard outter shell, or just the softy material between the seeds and hard outer shell?? or do you mean the outter shell itself??

Flowering of argyreia and photos of a seedpod here

from what i understand it is the 'softy' material that was refered to.

regarding the id of different cyperus forms refered to previously in this thread....it appears cyperus alternifolius may have different appearing forms depending on the maturity of the plant.

overcrowded plants may only show leafy growth with no stems but the pot can fill up with bulbs.

plants only seen to have thin stems and are under a metre high until about 7[?]years old then they thicken up the stems and get a bit over a metre.over the past year i've seen plants seem to turn from the thinner form to the thicker one so i think thats the answer i was looking for.

t s t .

after my last post in this thread i had the thought that different appearance and growth could be due to the fungal infection,varying due to the exact type of fungus or even multiple infections from different fungii?

t s t .

I planted some Mondo grass in my backyard and then had this giant thing come out which i though was wierd. Pulled it out a few days ago then thought back to this thread it looks a LOT like cyperus digitatus which could call for me to do some testing. Sorry about the horrible photos taken on computer webcam i will get better ones if needed for ID.

I will run through a bit of a description here too for extra info.

the main stems that go upto the "flowers are sort of like a triangle shape which i assume would be hollow in the middle because i can squeeze it and it is sort of succulent feeling but not really. Splits off with between 3 and 5 little grassy bits and the top and a heap of flowery seedy bits. I also have a few others at a FOAF house which are totally different i will have a new cam in a few days i will get pics of both (good pics lol)

so anyway anyone hazard an id with these crappy pics as your guide ?

http://img200.imageshack.us/i/snapshot201003139.jpg/

http://img683.imageshack.us/i/snapshot201003134.jpg/

http://img188.imageshack.us/i/snapshot201003132.jpg/

could be a cyperus (looks like one), definitely cyperaceae family

if i remember correctly tantra said he got results from all cyperaceae tested so far?

I planted some Mondo grass in my backyard and then had this giant thing come out which i though was wierd. Pulled it out a few days ago then thought back to this thread it looks a LOT like cyperus digitatus which could call for me to do some testing. Sorry about the horrible photos taken on computer webcam i will get better ones if needed for ID.

I will run through a bit of a description here too for extra info.

the main stems that go upto the "flowers are sort of like a triangle shape which i assume would be hollow in the middle because i can squeeze it and it is sort of succulent feeling but not really. Splits off with between 3 and 5 little grassy bits and the top and a heap of flowery seedy bits. I also have a few others at a FOAF house which are totally different i will have a new cam in a few days i will get pics of both (good pics lol)

so anyway anyone hazard an id with these crappy pics as your guide ?

http://img200.imageshack.us/i/snapshot201003139.jpg/

http://img683.imageshack.us/i/snapshot201003134.jpg/

http://img188.imageshack.us/i/snapshot201003132.jpg/

I am pretty sure I have seen that same plant on the banks of the Burnett River where I live. I will go down and get some to confirm when the river drops. It was 6 meters over our causeway a few days back and I think it's still about a meter over. Hope the roots have good holding power and they are not bobbing around the ocean some where :lol:

From afar it looked pretty bang on to be C. eragrostis, but then again what cyperus doesnt look like another :wink:

My resources are vague, and legs are lazy, that book is all the way over there, but i'm going towards C. esculentus; it's the only one i can remember in my limited reading that has those sort of extended flower structures. And it's listed in Australia as a noxious weed in Tas, NSW and WA.

I know i am gravediggin here but there is a crapload of Cyperus involucratus invading bushland near my place as well as some smaller varieties of some sort in my yard... Wondering if anyone has experience with the C. Involucratus ??? they grow in HUGE clumps and are a declared weed here. Root system is pretty big on em, but they are growing in very moist ground like the edges of temporary watercourses and stuff... so should be easy enough to get some out... i will get pictures in the future but i am positive on the ID after looking online

the one in my original post wont grow much taller tahn 30-40cms while these ones are bulky and as tall as me. all are flowering ATM too, lil fluffy bits on top :)

also the other cyperus which is designated a weed in my area matches the one i got in the original photos but can't find much ID information :( For anyonw interested i think it is Cyperus teneristolon

Edited by DarkSpark

Bump.

Just thought id try and see if there is any new info that some of you might have to share.Really great thread i enjoyed reading it so much

I have a couple of Cyperus in my garden just put one of them in a pot and into my new pond

and a foaf of mine is about to try tea of about 1 teaspoon of chopped up root

Bump.

Just thought id try and see if there is any new info that some of you might have to share.Really great thread i enjoyed reading it so much

I have a couple of Cyperus in my garden just put one of them in a pot and into my new pond

and a foaf of mine is about to try tea of about 1 teaspoon of chopped up root

Hope your foaf lets us know how it went.....

Hope your foaf lets us know how it went.....

same :)

I am finding that now i let the cyperus flower i can't get rid of it. They get thousands of seeds per plant i swear(maybe an exaggeration). All pots within 3M of the original now have cyperus of some description growing out of them. As well as this the pond up here (maryborough) in the main garden is surrounded by what appears to be a non-invasive cyperaceae of some sort as well as this there are numerous gardens in the area containing the same plant.

SWIM tried the roots of the one in my backyard and it had am interesting taste. slightly uplifted spirits but wouldn't go as far as to say LSA like, possibly placebo, although his ability to feel slight effects was somewhat hampered by his incessant weed smoking at the time. He has had a break for a few months from green and now may be a good time to try again. I might have to dig him some up in the near future.

OK well my foaf said it was pretty uneventful he got a slight speedy effect kind of like caffeine but much weaker that lasted for about 1 to 2 hours and after effects which where just felling a little giddy and on edge lasted for the rest of the day which was about 4 or 5 hours all in all it was not really worth the effort of harvesting the root and making the tea and he thinks he wont try that again and just stick to good old faithfuls