The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
chilli

Theanine for anxiety?

I read about this:

Able to cross the blood-brain barrier, theanine has psychoactive properties.[5] Theanine has been shown to reduce mental and physical stress[6], and improves cognition and mood in a synergistic manner with caffeine.[7]

While structurally related to the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate, theanine only has weak affinity for the glutamate receptor on post-synaptic cells.[8] Rather, its primary effect seems to increase the overall level of the brain inhibitory transmitter GABA. Theanine also increases brain dopamine levels and has micromolar affinities for AMPA, kainate and NMDA receptors.[9] Its effect on serotonin is still a matter of debate in the scientific community, with studies showing increases and decreases in brain serotonin levels using similar experimental protocols.[10][11] It has also been found that injecting spontaneously hypertensive mice with theanine significantly lowered levels of 5-hydroxyindoles in the brain.[12] Researchers also speculate that it may inhibit glutamic acid excitotoxicity.[9] Theanine also promotes alpha wave production in the brain.[5]

Studies on test rats have shown that even repeated, extremely high doses of theanine cause little to no harmful psychological or physical effects.[13] Theanine showed neuroprotective effects in one rat study.[14]

A placebo-controlled trial has shown that adding theanine to ongoing antipsychotic medication is helpful in reducing some symptoms of schizophrenia.[15]

Several beverage manufacturers are selling drinks containing theanine and are marketing them as drinks that help people focus and concentrate,[16] while other manufacturers claim relaxing and tranquillizing properties.[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theanine

here:

http://www.forummatters.com/forums/showthread.php/1377-Theanine-for-marijuana-addiction-%28Natural-remedy-that-eases-marijuana-withdrawal%29

and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with it?

Edited by .:illegal:brain:.

http://www.amazing-g...m/theanine.html

Note how it emphasises to use harvest it young as the actives dissipate pretty rapidly as the leaf gets older and drier. Like Khat?

Here's a free patent for chocloate confectionary containing L-Theanine :lol:

Thanks for that,I had some fresh once and found it umm I don't know kind of penetrated my cells with moisture and breathing felt lighter to come to think of it.

Ah ha, I've slipped up a few times when there has been high grade chocolate "hidden" (yeah like I don't know LOL)..and I would get brain-zaps after "taste-testing",which would back up the claim re:GABA.

Cool to know taa

Edited by mescalito