The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Evening Glory

Medicinal or otherwise interesting plants that thrive in shade?

Hey everyone!

I'm currently planning what seeds that should be sown this spring. I am constantly extending my collection of medicinal, entheogenic, edible, spice and otherwise interesting and unusual plants. This year I want to continue on a mission I started last year, which was to find more suitable plants for indoors.

My windows are already packed to the edge (and a bit over), so what I am looking for now is plants that tolerate shade well. They must tolerate total or nearly total shade, as they will only get indirect sunlight from windows. Not to mention that I live in a country with very little sun during the winter, and I would of course prefer it if the plants survive this.

So, any suggestions out there? I am, at least currently, only looking for plants that have some beneficial value - either as medicine, entheogen, food or spice - but also plants with an unusual apparency or otherwise interesting qualities.

All suggestions and thoughts are highly appreciated! Thanks! :)

salvia!! (you will need to get this from a cutting though as they rarely seed) and also sceletium tortuosum (kanna) likes dappled shade

lophophorias can suprisingly tolerate a lot of shade.

psychotria viridis and caapi is another candidate, but generaly most herb & spice plants like a lot of light.

but basicly it's possible to grow most plants with less light, but they will grow slow and loose most of the potency.

some shade loving plants, actualy probably most of them, have big leaves, this could be bothersome, if as you say, you are already streched for space.

so, as a general rule, you might wanna look out for plants with big leaves.

i'm sure some members who know a lot about, herbs (maybe asian and exotic ones) would be able to name a few which will grow in the shade.

I live in an Eucalypt forest and Im surprised by what will grow in the dappled shade and in some spots, nutrient deficient soils. Panax Ginseng and Dang shen are obvious candidates.

hi guys

Lemon balm does great in shade and so does the alpine strawberry they are also very yummy lol