The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
eternalmind

No-Dig Garden with Pea Straw

Hey All,

I've recently setup a no-dig garden using pea straw... and peas are sprouting rampantly all over the place. Does not matter how often I pull them out, they just keep coming even stronger. Yes, they provide good nitrogen... but come on...

does anyone here have any experience with this, and is there a way to keep the peas at bay?

Cheers,

eMi

Maybe next time pasteurise the straw with some spent coffee grounds and a pinch of gypsum....umm enjoy the peas :lol:

I'd just plant what you were going too anyway,maybe dig in some mycelia spawn and take advantage of the shade down low?

I can send you some Aphids if you want :ana::P

Edited by mescalito

Ive had these plants poppiing up all through my vege patch after mulching with pea straw and couldnt work out what the hell they where. after reading this thread you have just cracked it for me. if any pop up now in convienient locations im gonna let em grow through to fruiting.

thanks

We have been trying the no dig garden this year with great success. We have rampant self sown silverbeet, lettuce, carrots, coriander and some random unidentified flowering things too. Also there are some weeds, but they are struggling to compete with our enthusiastic pumpkins and greens.

Complete success in my opinion. Many much food!

We just let everything grow until we can identify it as useful or weed, and sometimes its both.

Did end up with a few things that ended up more like trees than weeds because I didnt know what they were, but they were fun to pull up.

Go the no dig garden! Our soil is lovely.

i just set up my new veg patches with pea straw and was worried about all those peas taking over, fingers crossed the neighbors chickens will weed them out for me. has anyone else ever had chickens that only eat the weeds from the garden never the veges? i remember that with our chooks when i was a kid. amazing stuff!

My brother has free ranging chooks that eat some weeds but mostly scratch up his garden bed mulch, make a huge mess of it all by flicking it everywhere, and leave copious amounts of fertiliser in his yard :P

They do seem to leave his plants alone for the most part, but they generally just eat insects/snails/garden pests which is awesome.

His yard is jungle like with plants everyfrigginwhere though so i'm sure there's been the odd plant casualty.

So be prepared for your freshly placed pea straw to be flicked far from where you placed it :lol:

Yeah, chooks work well as weed pullers/ eaters. Also putting a thick layer of another mulch over it to bock the sunlight would work.

Even old newspaper, whatever you can get. The paper has to be held down though as it tends to blow around.

Mycelium would work well as well, then you can get another crop.

On another use of peastraw like this, I use it as a temporary retaining wall on hillsides. I secure it in a square shape, place good soil

in it and plant out fruit trees. When it breaks down it's good for the trees you just have to watch it drying out as it's raised the water

tends to drain easily.

• Like 1