The Corroboree
wandjina

To your health!

Hello folks!

As some of you already know, just before New Years I found out that I have neuro-endocrine cancer.

Dont freak out, I'm not :) I've had time to come to terms with this.

Without going into too many details, the cancer has moved to my liver...which isnt great according to conventional prognosis, but it's early days. I'm on chemo and have had two 'cycles' so far.

before the chemo I was very sick; the chemo quite literally saved my life.

I feel and look better now than I have in years - except for some fatigue and new 'do a la sinead o'connor, finding out that I have a life-threatening illness has been profoundly life-affirming.

The healing that has taken place within me, and between myself and my loved ones, has been incredible.

Cancer has been an unexpected gift and teacher.

I'm tolerating the chemo very well. Just a few days of feeling shitty and then I'm fine.

I'm having reiki, taking milk thistle, and exploring my options. There are so many.

I plan on starting tai chi or qi gong classes in the fortnight, perhaps acupuncture.

So here I am extending my feelers for information, advice and experience. I know I'm not the only member of the community to have cancer or other serious illness.

I also know there is so much knowledge and expertise - and if you would like to share yours, I would be grateful and interested.

Unfortunately the chemo has had an effect on my ability to concentrate and focus which has changed the way I would usually research a topic. There's only so long I can spend online...so I guess I'm also asking for some help which I am usually loathe to do to be honest.

I like to know, to be independent...but I need to learn to ask for help sometimes too.

Please note - I dont want to be rude, but as I have made very clear elsewhere - conspiracy theories are a pet peeve, so thank you, but no thank you.

I've decided on conventional medicine in conjunction with 'alternatives', a holistic approach, - so I would really appreciate the absence of negative stories about what's wrong with 'Establishment' or allopathic medicine.

I would however be very interested in information about liver cancer relevant to our shared interests (wouldnt you know it, but until recently I worked specifically in liver health lol). My knowledge is pretty good re herbs used for liver health, so I guess it's more specific information i'd be looking for in regards to liver regeneration.

Also anything on herbs and interactions with chemo. Plants and cancer generally.

Links to reputable websites or sources of good but not-too-detailed info would be great, especially on medicinal mushrooms as my understanding on those is limited.

I've been sent some great references for healers - and warmly welcome ideas and infromation on different healing modalities or practices, especially those that people have personally experienced.

I'm all tuckered out now and am off to the beach with a friend. I havent swum in the ocean yet this year.

Thank yous in advance.

Pen x

• Like 2

Detox Your Liver with These Natural Herbs

Saturday, November 28, 2009 by: Elizabeth Walling

http://www.naturalnews.com/027607_liver_detox_herbs.html

Maybe you have a childhood memory of forgetting to clean your fish tank's filter. After all, it's easy to forget a fish tank even has a filter until it's so clogged up it starts to malfunction. Eventually, the tank is covered in slime and the health of your fish begins to fail. This scenario is much like the way we view our liver today. We often overlook the importance of the liver until it begins to adversely affect our health. However, this organ plays a vital role in cleansing, detoxifying and purification on a daily basis. The liver is also where many important nutrients are metabolized. Without a healthy liver, we cannot be healthy.

If you want to keep the environment clear and healthy in your fish tank, regular filter maintenance is a must. Similarly, if you want to enjoy vibrant health, maintaining your liver is crucial. When liver health is declining, you may experience a variety of symptoms including fatigue, sluggishness, hormone imbalances, acne, headaches and more.

In our literally toxic modern society, maintaining liver health is more important than ever. These natural herbs provide potent results in detoxifying and restoring the liver:

Milk Thistle. By far the most famous herb for liver health, milk thistle contains antioxidant flavonoids, which protect liver cells from damage by preventing toxin absorption and enhancing regeneration. Milk thistle is a part of most popular liver tonics, and it can also be ground fresh and sprinkled over food.

Artichoke. Thought to have a protective effect on liver cells, artichoke can aid liver regeneration and improve its function. It also supports bile production, which is important for digestion and assimilating valuable nutrients. Some clinical studies show artichoke can lower triglyceride levels, as well.

Dandelion. This herb makes an ideal liver treatment because it is highly effective and generally very safe (it is also quite inexpensive). All parts of the flower can be useful, but dandelion root is the most popular liver remedy, while the leaves are known for promoting kidney health.

Licorice. This remedy was often used in Eastern medicine to treat liver problems. One study reported licorice increased the production of interferon, which may explain this herb's unique ability to defend liver health from harmful toxins.

Keep in mind that any of these herbs should be used in conjunction with lifestyle factors which promote liver health, such as avoiding alcohol, caffeine and tobacco; staying active with regular exercise (even walking and yoga are highly beneficial); avoiding processed foods filled with junk sugars and chemical additives; and finally, learning to manage stress and developing healthy sleeping habits.

Ten Alternative Plants that Cleanse the Liver

Sept 29 2009

http://www.naturalnews.com/027117_chamomil...ra_disease.html

By now most Natural News readers understand the importance of liver detoxification, and many are familiar with the more common liver cleansing herbs such as burdock, dandelion, licorice and milk thistle. Some who have experienced the strong results provided by these plants may be wondering what similar plants are available. It turns out there are many such plants! This article, the first of a two-part series, will explore 5 lesser-known examples of natural foods that are known to cleanse and detoxify the liver.

1) Artichoke (leaf extract) - Cynara scolymus (Compositae)

A perennial native to the Mediterranean, artichoke plants thrive in warm climates and loamy soil. The flower heads, leaves and root are used as both food and medicine. Artichoke contains sesquiterpene lactone cynaropicrin (a strong bitter that contains inulin) and the leaves contain cynarin ( an antioxidant). Both are known to have liver protective properties. Similar to milk thistle, artichoke (in particular the leaf) defends the liver against toxins and infections. All parts of the plant are bitter and induce bile secretion. Artichoke is used to lower cholesterol, treat gallbladder problems, nausea, indigestion and late-onset diabetes as it lowers blood sugar. Fresh artichoke leaf juice is a valuable liver tonic. Artichoke has diuretic properties.

2) Astragalus (root) - Astragalus membranaceus (Leguminosae)

Astragalus is a member of the pea family that has been used for thousands of years in China, where it is called "huang qi". Astragalus helps to promote the liver and gallbladder to release toxins (according to Chinese folklore this was to "rid the stagnant (sha or killing) qi" from the liver). With a sweet taste and warming effect it is particularly suited for young and/or physically active people. Astragalus boosts the immune system, improves circulation, relieves night sweats, reduces fluid retention, and increases both strength and endurance. It is considered similar to and even superior than ginseng. Despite being one of the most popular herbs in Chinese medicine, astragalus is not well known in the western world. Astragalus has adaptogenic, diuretic and antiviral properties.

3) Bilberry (fruit and leaf extract) - Vacciniuim myrtillus (Ericacea)

Bilberry is a deciduous shrub with berries that ripen to purple-black. Native to Europe and North America (and related to blueberry and cranberry) bilberry thrives in undergrowth, on moors and in heathland. The fruit and leaves are collected in the summer. Bilberry contains anthocyanosides which have a tonic effect on blood vessels. Bilberry also contains vitamins A, B and C. Bilberry extract has a strong effect on the liver and it reduces stress-induced damage. Bilberry strengthens capillaries, treats varicose veins, and relieves hemorrhoids along with urinary tract infections. Bilberry has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. Caution: Bilberry should only be used for short lengths of time due to high tannin content or it may actually damage the liver.

4) Boldo (leaf extract) - Peumus boldus (Umbelliferae)

A strongly aromatic evergreen that grows up to 20 feet high, boldo is native to Chile and Peru. The leaves contain isoquinoline alkaloids, including boldine along with volatile oil and flavonoids. The berries are also eaten as food. Known as a traditional liver tonic and remedy by the Araucanian people in Chile, boldo stimulates bile flow. Chiefly valued as remedy for gallstones or gallbladder pain, boldo leaf is normally only taken for a few weeks at a time (this is a good general strategy for all herbs). Boldo treats urinary tract infections, cystitis, and (when combined with barberry and fringe tree) treats gallstones. A tincture or infusion of the boldo leaves are the normal method to administer. Boldo has antiseptic and demulcent properties. Caution: Boldo should not be taken by pregnant women. Some countries impose legal restrictions on this plant (so it must be good).

5) Chicory (root) - Cichorium intybus (Compositae)

A perennial with deep roots, oblong leaves, and blue flowers, chicory is native to Europe where it flourishes along roadsides and in dry fields. The roots are unearthed in the spring or autumn and contain 58% inulin along with sesquiterpene lactones. Chicory is primarily a liver tonic that is a mild bitter. Similar to dandelion, chicory supports the stomach, digestive tract and liver along with cleansing the urinary tract. Used to treat arthritis and gout, chicory aids digestion and is a mild laxative that is safe for children. Historically the juice was mixed with rose oil and vinegar for a headache remedy. The roasted root is used as a coffee substitute. Chicory has anti-inflammatory properties.

6) Club Moss (spore) - Lycopodium clavadum (Lycopodiaceae)

Club moss is an evergreen moss found mainly on mountains or in moorland in Europe and Russia. Gathered in summer, the moss and spores contain .1 to .2% alkaloids along with lycopodine, polyphenols, flavonoids and triterpenes. Used medicinally since the middle ages, club moss aids in the flushing of liver toxins and kidney stones. Club moss treats chronic urinary problems, indigestion and gastritis. The spores can be applied to the skin to relieve itching and for insect bites and eczema. The spores are also used to coat tablets since they are water resistant and (because they ignite explosively) they are used in fireworks! Club moss is normally used in powdered capsule form and a Chinese form was shown to improve cognitive function in Alzheimer's disease. Club moss has diuretic, antispasmodic and sedative properties. Caution: Club moss is potentially toxic in high doses. Do not take while pregnant. Use only under professional supervision.

7) German Chamomile (flower) Chamomilla recutita (Compositae)

German chamomile (similar to Roman chamomile) is an aromatic, slightly bitter flower that is familiar to tea drinkers. The medicinal uses however are not so well known. Chamomile contains the volatile oils proazulenes, farnesine, alpha-bisabolol and spiroether. Chamomile also contains the flavonoids anthemidin, luteoliin and rutin, along with the bitter glycoside anthemic acid, coumarins and tannins. Used since the 1st century AD, chamomile has many uses including treating disorders of the liver, lung, skin and digestive tract. Chamomile helps relieve pain and nervous tension, and helps with auto-immune disorders such as Crohn's disease and irritable bowel syndrome. Chamomile has anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, and carminative properties.

8) Nettle (root) - Urtica dioica (Urticaceae)

Known as "stinging", nettle is native to Africa, Australia and the Andes. The sting from nettle is caused by tiny hairs that contain histamine, serotonin and acetylcholine which burn like poison ivy. The key uses for nettle are cleansing and detoxification, as it will encourage the elimination of waste products. Nettle increases urine production and also treats skin disorders such as eczema and arthritis (often an indication of a sluggish liver). Nettle slows or stops nosebleeds and menstruation, treats allergies, and relieves hay fever and asthma. Nettle can be applied to insect bites to relieve itching, and nettle juice even treats the sting of nettle itself! Nettle has diuretic, astringent and anti-inflammatory properties.

9) Picrorrhiza (rhizome) - Picrorhiza Kurroa (Scrophulariaceae)

A perennial with elliptical leaves and spiked flowers, picrorrhiza is native to the mountains of Nepal, India and Tibet. The rhizome or picrorrhiza contains the bitter glycoside kutkin (containing picrosides I, II, III and kutkoside), cucurbitacins and apocynin (a powerful anti-inflammatory that reduces platelet aggregation). Used in Ayurvedic medicine since the earliest times, picrorrhiza induces the liver to produce bile. Used as the antidote to snake bite venom and to treat hepatitis, picrorrhiiza is used as a bitter tonic and is similar to gentian (Gentiana lutea). Given for a wide range of liver or digestive troubles, picrorrhiza helps treat indigestion, ulcers, jaundice, cirrhosis, constipation, diarrhea, dysentery, asthma, infections, immune disorders, vertigo, psoriasis and auto-immune disease. Picrorrhiza helps kill parasites such as Lishmania donovani which causes the tropical disease leishmaniasis. Picrorrhiza has anti-inflammatory properties. Caution: Professional supervision is recommended.

10) Schisandra (fruit) Schisandra chinensis (Schisandraceae)

One of the most popular tonic herbs in China (where it is known as wu wei zi) schisandra has protective effects on the liver, kidneys and sexual organs. It strengthens the nervous system, cleanses the blood and increases stamina. With a sour and salty taste, schisandra contains lignans, phytosterols and volatile oil, along with vitamins C and E. The nearly 30 different lignans in schisandra have a pronounced anti-hepatotoxic (liver protective) action. A 1976 study showed it to be 76% effective on treating hepatitis with no side effects noted. Schisandra is also known to stimulate the nervous system, improve vision and hearing, treat depression, and mental illness, increase sex drive, and relieve diarrhea. Schisandra has both stimulant and sedative properties (adaptogenic).

References

The Encyclopedia of Medicinal Plants - Dorling Kindersley and Andrew Chevallier

More on Artichoke

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...

More on Astragalus

http://www.asiannet.com/tradelead_v...

More on Bilberry

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...

Basic course on Milk Thistle, Dandelion, Licorice and Burdock

http://www.naturalnews.com/026261_b...

More on Club Moss

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/le...

Club Moss and Alzheimer's

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...

More on Chamomile

http://www.rain-tree.com/chamomile.htm

Edited by Slybacon

Cleansing the liver of gallstones dramatically improves digestion, which is the basis of your whole health. You can expect your allergies to disappear, too, more with each cleanse you do! Incredibly, it also eliminates shoulder, upper arm, and upper back pain. You have more energy and increased sense of well being.

It is the job of the liver to make bile, 1 to 1.5 quarts in a day! The liver is full of tubes (biliary tubing) that deliver the bile to one large tube (the common bile duct). The gallbladder is attached to the common bile duct and acts as a storage reservoir. Eating fat or protein triggers the gallbladder to squeeze itself empty after about twenty minutes, and the stored bile finishes its trip down the common bile duct to the intestine.

For many persons, including children, the biliary tubing is choked with gallstones. Some develop allergies or hives but some have no symptoms. When the gallbladder is scanned or X-rayed nothing is seen. Typically, they are not in the gallbladder. Not only that, most are too small and not calcified, a prerequisite for visibility on an X-ray. There are over half a dozen varieties of gallstones, most of which have cholesterol crystals in them. They can be black, red, white, green or tan colored. The green ones get their color from being coated with bile. Notice in the picture (pg. 545) how many have imbedded unidentified objects. Are they fluke remains? Notice how man are shaped like corks with longitudinal grooves below the tops. We can visualize the blocked bile ducts from such shapes. Other stones are composites- made of many smaller ones- showing that they regrouped in the bile ducts some time after the last cleanse.

At the very center of each stone is found a clump of bacteria, according to scientists, suggesting a dead bit of parasite might have started the stone forming.

As the stones grow and become more numerous the back pressure on the liver causes it to make less bile. Imagine the situation if your garden hose had marbles in it. Much less water would flow, which in turn would decrease the ability of the hose to squirt out the marbles. With gallstones, much less cholesterol leaves the body, and cholesterol levels rise.

Gallstones, being porous, can pick up all the bacteria, cysts, viruses and parasites that are passing through the liver. In this way "nests" of infection are formed, forever supplying the body with fresh bacteria. No stomach infection such as ulcers or intestinal bloating can be cured permanently without removing these gallstones from the liver.

Preparation

You can't clean a liver with living parasites in it. You won't get out many stones, and will feel quite sick. Zap daily the week before, or get through the first three weeks of the parasite killing program before attempting a liver cleanse. If you are on a parasite maintenance program, do a high dose program the week before.

Completing the kidney cleanse before cleansing the liver is also recommended. You want your kidneys, bladder and urinary tract in top working condition so they can efficiently remove any undesirable substances incidentally absorbed from the intestine as the bile is being excreted.

Do any dental work first, if possible. Your mouth should be metal free and bacteria free (cavitations are cleaned). A toxic mouth can put a heavy load on the liver, burdening it immediately after cleansing. Eliminate that problem first for best results.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liver cleanse and gallbladder cleanse flush NO surgery

Ingredients

1/2 CupOlive Oil Extra Virgin (= 1.25 dl)

1 Big grapefruit (2 small) (Or 3 lemons)

4 tablespoon EPSOM salts = ( MgSO4 + 7H2O)

(EPSOM salts = Magnesium Sulphate = EPSOMITE = Magnesium Sulfate Heptahydrate)

3 cups water (=750 dl)

(P.S .!! 1 cup = 250 ml = 2.5 dl = 0.25 l )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Choose a day like Saturday for the cleanse, since you will be able to rest the next day.

Take no medicines, vitamins or pills that you can do without; they could prevent success. Stop the parasite program and kidney herbs too, the day before.

Eat a no-fat breakfast and lunch such as cooked cereal with fruit, fruit juice, bread and preserves or honey (no butter or milk), baked potato or other vegetables with salt only. This allows the bile to build up and develop pressure in the liver. Higher pressure pushes out more stones.

2:00 PM. Do not eat or drink after 2 o'clock. If you break this rule you could feel quite ill later. Get your Epsom salts ready. Mix 4 tbs. in 3 cups water and pour this into a jar. This makes four servings, 3/4 (three fourths) cup each. Set the jar in the refrigerator to get ice cold (this is for convenience and taste only).

[ You can substitute 3 cups water with 3 cups freshly pressed grapefruit juice, or freshly pressed apple juice, it tastes better .]

6:00 PM. Drink one serving 3/4 (three fourths cup) of the ice cold Epsom salts. If you did not prepare this ahead of time, mix 1 tbs. in 3/4 (three fourth) cup water now. You may add 1/8 (one eight) tsp. vitamin C powder to improve the taste. You may also drink a few mouthfuls of water afterwards or rinse your mouth. Get the olive oil (ozonated, if possible) and grapefruit out to warm up.

Alternative Schedule 1: Omit the first Epsom Slats dose at 6 p.m. Take only one dose, waiting till 8 p.m. Change nothing else. Many people still get stones with one less dose. If you do not, do the full course next time. "The Cure For HIV and AIDS" By Hulda Clark pg.585

8:00 PM. Repeat by drinking another 3/4 (three fourths) cup of Epsom salts.You haven't eaten since two o'clock, but you won't feel hungry. Get your bedtime chores done. The timing is critical for success.

9:45 PM. Pour 1/2 (half) cup (measured) olive oil into the pint jar. Add 2 drops HCl to sterilize. Wash grapefruit twice in hot water and dry; squeeze by hand into the measuring cup. Remove pulp with fork. You should have at least 1/2 (half) cup, more (up to 3/4 (three fourths) cup) is best. You may use part lemonade. Add this to the olive oil. Also add Black Walnut Tincture. Close the jar tightly with the lid and shake hard until watery (only fresh grapefruit juice does this).

Now visit the bathroom one or more time, even if it makes you late for your ten o'clock drink. Don't be more than 15 minutes late. You will get fewer stones.

10:00 PM. Drink the potion you have mixed. Take 4 ornithine capsules with the first sips to make sure you will sleep through the night. Take 8 if you already suffer from insomnia. Drinking through a large plastic straw helps it go down easier. You may use oil and vinegar salad dressing, or straight honey to chase it down between sips. Have these ready in a tablespoon on the kitchen counter. Take it all to your bedside if you want, but drink it standing up. Get it down within 5 minutes (fifteen minutes for very elderly or weak persons).

Lie down immediately. You might fail to get stones out if you don't. The sooner you lie down the more stones you will get out. Be ready for bed ahead of time. Don't clean up the kitchen. As soon as the drink is down walk to your bed and lie down flat on your back with your head up high on the pillow. Try to think about what is happening in the liver. Try to keep perfectly still for at least 20 minutes. You may feel a train of stones traveling along the bile ducts like marbles. There is no pain because the bile duct valves are open (thank you Epsom salts!). Go to sleep, you may fail to get stones out if you don't.

Next morning. Upon awakening take your third dose of Epsom salts. If you have indigestion or nausea wait until it is gone before drinking the Epsom salts. You may go back to bed. Don't take this potion before 6:00 am.

2 Hours Later. Take your fourth (the last) dose of Epsom salts. You may go back to bed again.

"The Cure For HIV and AIDS" By Hulda Clark pg.585

Alternative Schedule 2: After taking the first dose of Epsom salts in the morning, wait two hours and take a second dose of the oil mixture (but only 1/2 cup)and go back to bed. After two more hours take another dose of Epsom salts. This schedule can increase the number of stones you remove."

After 2 More Hours you may eat. Start with fruit juice. Half an hour later eat fruit. One hour later you may eat regular food but keep it light. By supper you should feel recovered.

How well did you do?

Expect diarrhea in the morning.

Institute of Health Sciences, 819 N. L.L.C. Charles Street Baltimore , MD 1201.

This is the latest in medicine, effective for cancer!

Benefits of lemon.

Lemon (Citrus) is a miraculous product to kill cancer cells. It is 10,000 times stronger than chemotherapy. Why do we not know about that? Because there are laboratories interested in making a synthetic version that will bring them huge profits. You can now help a friend in need by letting him know that lemon juice is beneficial in preventing the disease. Its taste is pleasant and it does not produce the horrific effects of chemotherapy. If you can, plant a lemon tree in your garden or patio. How many people die while this is a closely guarded secret so as not to jeopardize the beneficial multimilionnaires large corporations? As you know, the lemon tree is down, does not occupy much space and is known for its varieties of lemons and limes. You can eat the fruit in different ways: you can eat the pulp, juice press, prepare drinks, sorbets, pastries, ... It is credited with many virtues, but the most interesting is the effect it produces on cysts and tumors. This plant is a proven remedy against cancers of all types. Some say it is very useful in all variants of cancer. It is considered also as an anti microbial spectrum against bacterial infections and fungi, effective against internal parasites and worms, it regulates blood pressure is too high and antidepressant, combat stress and nervous disorders.

The source of this information is fascinating: it comes from one of the largest drug manufacturers in the world, says that after more than 20 laboratory tests since 1970, the extracts revealed that: It destroys the malignant cells in 12 cancers, including colon, breast, prostate, lung and pancreas ... The compounds of this tree act showed 10,000 times better than the product Adriamycin, a drug normally used chimiothérapeutte in the world, slowing the growth of cancer cells. And what is even more astonishing: this type of therapy with lemon extract not only destroys malignant cancer cells and does not affect healthy cells.

Marijuana Cuts Tumor Growth by 50%

http://preventdisease.com/news/10/120310_m...or_growth.shtml

The active ingredient in marijuana cuts tumor growth in common lung cancer in half and significantly reduces the ability of the cancer to spread, say researchers at Harvard University who tested the chemical in both lab and mouse studies.

They say this is the first set of experiments to show that the compound, Delta-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), inhibits EGF-induced growth and migration in epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) expressing non-small cell lung cancer cell lines. Lung cancers that over-express EGFR are usually highly aggressive and resistant to chemotherapy.

THC that targets cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2 is similar in function to endocannabinoids, which are cannabinoids that are naturally produced in the body and activate these receptors. The researchers suggest that THC or other designer agents that activate these receptors might be used in a targeted fashion to treat lung cancer.

"The beauty of this study is that we are showing that a substance of abuse, if used prudently, may offer a new road to therapy against lung cancer," said Anju Preet, Ph.D., a researcher in the Division of Experimental Medicine.

Acting through cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2, endocannabinoids (as well as THC) are thought to play a role in variety of biological functions, including pain and anxiety control, and inflammation. Although a medical derivative of THC, known as Marinol, has been approved for use as an appetite stimulant for cancer patients, and a small number of U.S. states allow use of medical marijuana to treat the same side effect, few studies have shown that THC might have anti-tumor activity, Preet says. The only clinical trial testing THC as a treatment against cancer growth was a recently completed British pilot study in human glioblastoma.

In the present study, the researchers first demonstrated that two different lung cancer cell lines as well as patient lung tumor samples express CB1 and CB2, and that non-toxic doses of THC inhibited growth and spread in the cell lines. "When the cells are pretreated with THC, they have less EGFR stimulated invasion as measured by various in-vitro assays," Preet said.

Then, for three weeks, researchers injected standard doses of THC into mice that had been implanted with human lung cancer cells, and found that tumors were reduced in size and weight by about 50 percent in treated animals compared to a control group. There was also about a 60 percent reduction in cancer lesions on the lungs in these mice as well as a significant reduction in protein markers associated with cancer progression, Preet says.

Although the researchers do not know why THC inhibits tumor growth, they say the substance could be activating molecules that arrest the cell cycle. They speculate that THC may also interfere with angiogenesis and vascularization, which promotes cancer growth.

Preet says much work is needed to clarify the pathway by which THC functions, and cautions that some animal studies have shown that THC can stimulate some cancers. "THC offers some promise, but we have a long way to go before we know what its potential is," she said.

Updated: 28 Aug 2010

http://www.whatsonxiamen.com/wine_msg.php?titleid=1315

Black rice proves to be an anti-cancer super food - Study

4739black%20rice-1.jpg

Black rice is low in sugar but packed with healthy fibre and plant compounds

that combat heart disease and cancer, according to scientists

Black rice - revered in ancient China but overlooked in the West - could be the greatest 'superfoods', scientists revealed today.

The cereal is low in sugar but packed with healthy fibre and plant compounds that combat heart disease and cancer, say experts.

Scientists from Louisiana State University analysed samples of bran from black rice grown in the southern U.S. They found boosted levels of water-soluble anthocyanin antioxidants.

Anthocyanins provide the dark colours of many fruits and vegetables, such as blueberries and red peppers. They are what makes black rice 'black'.

Research suggests that the dark plant antioxidants, which mop up harmful molecules, can help protect arteries and prevent the DNA damage that leads to cancer.

Food scientist Dr Zhimin Xu said: 'Just a spoonful of black rice bran contains more health promoting anthocyanin antioxidants than are found in a spoonful of blueberries, but with less sugar, and more fibre and vitamin E antioxidants.

'If berries are used to boost health, why not black rice and black rice bran? Especially, black rice bran would be a unique and economical material to increase consumption of health-promoting antioxidants.'

Centuries ago black rice was known as 'Forbidden Rice' in ancient China because only nobles were allowed to eat it.

Today black rice is mainly used in Asia for food decoration, noodles, sushi and desserts.

But food manufacturers could potentially use black rice bran or bran extracts to make breakfast cereals, beverages, cakes, biscuits and other foods healthier, said Dr Xu.

When rice is processed, millers remove the outer layers of the grains to produce brown rice or more refined white rice - the kind most widely consumed in the West.

Brown rice is said to be more nutritious because it has higher levels of healthy vitamin E compounds and antioxidants.

But according to Dr Xu's team, varieties of rice that are black or purple in colour are healthier still.

They added that black rice could also be used to provide healthier, natural colourants. Studies linked some artificial colourants to cancer and behavioural problems in children.

The scientists presented their findings today at the 240th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society in Boston.

Victoria Taylor, senior dietician at the British Heart Foundation, said: 'In reality, it's unlikely there's a single food out there that will have a great impact on lowering your risk of heart disease. Healthy eating is about a balanced diet overall.

'It's great if you can eat more of some groups of healthy foods, like having five portions of fruit and veg a day, but there is still no conclusive evidence that 'super foods' alone make a real difference to your heart health.'

I will post more as I find it. All my best wishes for you ....

It's good to hear you're doing better, it sounds like you've had tough time.

I had a brush with cancer and I wasted away to less than 50 kg, I chose to go for alternative therapies in the form of Traditional Chinese Medicine and I practiced Qi Gong every day.

I learnt the Qi gong from books and did it at home by myself.

The TCM practitioner gave me a mixture of herbs & animal parts to boil up into a tea and I had to drink the brew twice daily, it didn't taste the best but it helped a lot, it also helped with my rooted knee joint helped me regain a lot of strength and function.

I also had twice weekly acupuncture sessions with the same doctor.

It took a while to notice any change but my friends and family noticed my improvement everytime I saw them.

Acupuncture had a very positive effect with me and I would sleep better the nights after the treatment and just feel better in general from it.

I also brewed my own Kombucha and sourced some milk Kefir grains and fermented my own Kefir. They were to re-establish a population of good bacteria in my gut and that helped a lot too. Chemo can really disrupt your intestinal flora and kefir could be useful for that as well kefir also contains a powerful anti-oxidant that could help with the chemo (you might have to check with your doctor on that though)

If you're interested I can send you some Kefir grains.

Good luck, it sounds like you're on the right track.

Use anything that works for you.

Edited by Magicdirt

hey penny, from what you've said it seems that you've come to terms with this but still remain optimistic. but my thoughts still go out to you.

malignancies aren't my forte but i know enough about drug therapies to be able to look a few things up for you. what meds are you on and what sort of dosing schedule? if you're ok with saying, can you elaborate on what form, grade, and site?

peace

Good luck wandjina, stay strong and positive and I hope everything starts to go your way.

I have no idea about interactions with chemo (if tumour markers are declining at a good rate with chemo alone, I'd be hesitant to play around with too many other things at the same time) but here are a few things that caught my attention. I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I find anything else.

The CAM Summaries are peer-reviewed and up-to-date summaries of the existing scientific information on CAM in the prevention, treatment and palliative care of cancer. They provide documentation with regards to efficacy/effectiveness and safety issues, as well as information on the CAM background, promoter claims, description of treatment methods, and biologic mechanisms. They provide clear statements to health professionals.

http://www.cam-cancer.org/CAM-Summaries/

In vitro screening for the tumoricidal properties of international medicinal herbs.

There is growing use of anticancer complementary and alternative medicines (CAMs) worldwide. The purpose of the current study is to assess a sizeable variety of natural and plant sources of diverse origin, to ascertain prospective research directives for cancer treatment and potential new chemotherapy drug sources. In this study, 374 natural extracts (10 microg/mL-5 mg/mL) were evaluated for dose-dependent tumoricidal effects using immortal neuroblastoma of spontaneous malignant origin. The findings indicate no pattern of tumoricidal effects by diverse plants with similar families/genus under the classes Pinopsida, Equisetopsida, Lycopodiosida, Filicosida, Liliopsida Monocotyledons or Magnoliopsida Dicotyledons. The results indicate that many of the most commonly used CAMs exhibited relatively weak tumoricidal effects including cats claw, astragalus, ginseng, echinacea, mistletoe, milk thistle, slippery elm, cayenne, chamomile, don quai, meadowsweet, motherwort and shepherd's purse. The data demonstrate that the most potent plant extracts were randomly dispersed within the plantae kingdom (LC(50) = 31-490 microg/mL) in order of the lowest LC(50) Dioscorea villosa (Dioscoreaceae) > Sanguinaria canadensis (Papaveraceae) > Dipsacus asper (Dipsacaceae) > Populus balsamifera (Salicaceae) > Boswellia carteri (Burseraceae) > Cyamopsis psoralioides (Fabaceae) > Rhamnus cathartica (Rhamnaceae) > Larrea tridentate (Zygophyllaceae) > Dichroa febrifuga (Hydrangeaceae) > Batschia canescens (Boraginaceae) > Kochia scoparia (Chenopodiaceae) > Solanum xanthocarpum (Solanaceae) > Opoponax chironium (Umbelliferae) > Caulophyllum thalictroides (Berberidaceae) > Dryopteris crassirhizoma (Dryopteridaceae) > Garcinia cambogia (Clusiaceae) > Vitex agnus-castus (Verbenaceae) > Calamus draco (Arecaceae). These findings show tumoricidal effect by extracts of wild yam root, bloodroot, teasel root, bakuchi seed, dichroa root, kanta kari, garcinia fruit, mace, dragons blood and the biblically referenced herbs: balm of gilead bud, frankincense and myrrh gum.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ptr.2636

Some medicinal plants as natural anticancer agents

India is the largest producer of medicinal plants and is rightly called the "Botanical garden of the World". The medicinal plants, besides having natural therapeutic values against various diseases, also provide high quality of food and raw materials for livelihood. Considerable works have been done on these plants to treat cancer, and some plant products have been marketed as anticancer drugs, based on the traditional uses and scientific reports. These plants may promote host resistance against infection by re-stabilizing body equilibrium and conditioning the body tissues. Several reports describe that the anticancer activity of medicinal plants is due to the presence of antioxidants in them. In fact, the medicinal plants are easily available, cheaper and possess no toxicity as compared to the modern (allopathic) drugs. Hence, this review article contains 66 medicinal plants, which are the natural sources of anticancer agents

http://www.phcogrev....59_59525_t1.jpg

http://www.phcogrev....59_59525_t2.jpg

Article: http://www.phcogrev....3;aulast=Pandey

Niuchangchih (Antrodia camphorata) and its potential in treating liver diseases

Niuchangchih (Antrodia camphorata (M. Zang & C.H. Su) Sheng H. Wu, Ryvarden & T.T. Chang) is a basidiomycete endemic to Taiwan. It is well known as a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), and Taiwanese aborigines used this species to treat liver diseases and food and drug intoxication. The compounds identified in Niuchangchih are predominantly polysaccharides, triterpenoids, steroids, benzenoids and maleic/succinic acid derivatives. Recent research has revealed that Niuchangchih possesses extensive biological activity, such as hepatoprotective, antihypertensive, anti-hyperlipidemic, immuno-modulatory, anticancer, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activities. The fruiting bodies and fermented products of Niuchangchih have been reported to exhibit activity when treating liver diseases, such as preventing ethanol-, CCl4- and cytokine-induced liver injury, inhibiting the hepatitis B virus, ameliorating fatty liver and liver fibrosis, and inhibiting liver cancer cells. This review will address the protective effects of Niuchangchih on the pathological development of liver diseases, and the underlying mechanisms of action are also discussed.

Anti-tumor and immunoregulatory activities of Ganoderma lucidum and its possible mechanisms

Ganoderma lucidum (G lucidum) is a medicinal fungus with a variety of biological activities. It has long been used as a folk remedy for promotion of health and longevity in China and other oriental countries. The most attractive character of this kind of medicinal fungus is its immunomodulatory and anti-tumor activities. Large numbers of studies have shown that G lucidum modulate many components of the immune system such as the antigen-presenting cells, NK cells, T and B lymphocytes. The water extract and the polysaccharides fraction of G lucidum exhibited significant anti-tumor effect in several tumor-bearing animals mainly through its immunoenhancing activity. Recent studies also showed that the alcohol extract or the triterpene fraction of G lucidum possessed antitumor effect, which seemed to be related to the cytotoxic activity against tumor cells directly. Preliminary study indicated that antiangiogenic effect may be involved antitumor activity of G lucidum.

Anti-invasion effects of 6-shogaol and 6-gingerol, two active components in ginger, on human hepatocarcinoma cells.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20521273

Hylandia dockrillii

Induction of apoptosis in human hepatocarcinoma SMMC-7721 cells in vitro by flavonoids from Astragalus complanatus

http://www.beyotime....c1116-ref22.pdf

Traditional Chinese medicine Astragalus reverses predominance of Th2 cytokines and their up-stream transcript factors in lung cancer patients.

Th2 cytokine is predominant in tumor patients and was found to be associated with tumor progression. Reversing of Th2 dominant status is thought to be a promising strategy. In the present study, peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMNC) of 37 lung cancer patients and 19 healthy subjects were prepared and used for examination of cytokine secretion and gene expression. The positive percentage of mRNA transcripts of Th1 cytokines (8.1% for IFNgamma and 13.5% for IL-2) in patients' PBMNC were lower than those of Th2 cytokines (70.3% for IL-4, 64.9% for IL-6 and 83.8% for IL-10). The gene expression capacity (measured as relative intensity to ratio of beta-actin) of patients for Th1 cytokines was low, but constitutively relatively high for Th2 cytokines. Both positive percentage and relative intensity were lower in transcript factor for Th1 cytokine, T-bet (40.5% and 0.139, respectively) than those for Th2 cytokine, GATA3 (89.2% and 0.364, respectively). Traditional Chinese medicine, Astragalus (AG) was observed to reverse Th2 status of lung cancer. AG enhanced culture supernatant and gene expression levels of Th1 cytokine (IFNgamma and IL-2) and its transcript factor (T-bet), and reduced those of Th2 cytokines in cultured PBMNC of lung cancer patients. These results demonstrated that traditional Chinese medicine AG might reverse the Th2 predominant status in lung cancer patients, which is a probable alternative therapeutic regime in future.

http://view.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/12883732

Phytochemicals:

Oleanolic acid - http://en.wikipedia..../Oleanolic_acid

Betulinic acid - http://en.wikipedia..../Betulinic_acid

Boswellic acid - http://en.wikipedia..../Boswellic_acid

Ursolic acid - http://en.wikipedia....ki/Ursolic_acid

Withaferin-A (WA) is a bioactive compound derived from Withania somnifera, which inhibits Notch-1 signaling and downregulates prosurvival pathways, such as Akt/NF-κB/Bcl-2, in three colon cancer cell lines (HCT-116, SW-480, and SW-620) - http://en.wikipedia....iki/Ashwaghanda

As with synchromesh, LDN and R-alpha lipoic acid look interesting.

Edited by Alchemica

Hi Wandjina, sorry to hear but just like you said, liver cancer is treatable if you find out in early days. When it comes to liver damage and cancer, i constantly hear how good coffee works to avoid it. Im pretty sure it also helps speedening up the recovery. Besides i would suggest you to look into the concept of Cancer as a chronic carbohydrate intoxication. Sure, there are many cancers that are caused by external factors but in my opinion this theory is one of the key answers to the question why some people get cancer and some others who live a lot more unhealthy dont. I´m really convinced of the concept that is commonly known as the Atkins Diet and since i reduced the carbohydrates to a minimum, i got most of my health problems under control and i feel better than ever before. And i was train wreck. Some Nutrionists are convinced that carbohydrates are important for cancer patients but i do not. Personally,i´m 100% positive it would increase your chances to conquer this if you´d reduce the carbohydrates to an absolute minimum. But i also understand that this is controversal to many nutritionists perspectives. What is commonly accepted is the fact that cancer cells need a lot more energy than normal cells to continue growing. The first thing i would do to stop further growth is to switch my diet to a mostly meat consisting diet and thus cutting off the cancers nutrients by that. But thats just me and i definetaly dont want to convince you of something that you wouldnt believe in yourself. I hate that kind of guys. Besides, the liver is a miracle when it it comes to recover and regrow by itself so you have pretty good chances to deal with that even if your living on a regular diet. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Really sorry to hear Wandjina,but you have the attitude to beat this into submission anyway.

Excellent roundup of info and links there Slybacon.I was thinking mushrooms and Asian herbs too.

I'd like to add Crocodile meat's good,tail fillets if you can afford it!

I had a short luxury of a few KGs a few years back when I was pretty sick.I tried it on advice from a friend just before being diagnosed with Hemachromatosis which was at a very critical level.I found it the best food/medicine I've ever tasted or ingested no BS.I felt the best I had in a long time!

Also isn't chacruna infusion sometimes used?

Quote Wandjina:

"I like to know, to be independent...but I need to learn to ask for help sometimes too."

Know the feeling :wink:

Oh and I agree too through ill-health as Evigenius has put it,well in my case at least,I've upped the proteins and lowered the carbs.At least evens.I always feel better eating this way but once again,it's expensive.

Good Luck hey and keep us posted.

Healing Vibes from the mesc clan :)

Hi wandjina

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate news...

I have been doing some research in this area myself on and off... and have come across a guide called "Food as Medicine"

I have stumbled across the torrent for the download... if your un-able to download it yourself I am getting it myself and will be happy to burn it to disc and send it to you if you like...

Comments on torrent:

Excellent video on cancer. Curing cancer is done siliently for those in the know. The fact is 90%+ cancers can be cured even at stage 3. See the website or Google Dr Tullio Simoncini and his video and book "Cancer is a Fungus" Yes, nearly every cancer is a fungus or a mold disease. Cancer is a mold of the body.

Food as Medicine. Video Book and Presentation.Win against Cancer.avi

Cancer is a fungus - The book by Dr. T Simoncini

All the best! Sending much love your way!

:)

Edited by herbal_hindsight

Kombucha! Pm me if want culture

Shit mate, tough news but it sounds like you have plenty of resolve and I believe that helps volumes.

TCM is a good option. I was given some herbs for an autoimmune thing I get occasionally and they worked better than any medicines Id been given, so believe it or not there is a couple of thousands years behind TCM and it has more potential than some give it credit for.

I'd like to send you a gift, wandjina. I think that it could help you with your current situation. Please check your private messages.

i'm sure you will recover from this very well, and if there is a person who can help themselves with herbs and knowledge than no other, than that person is you!

reading your post wandjina, i felt a lot of strengh, comming from your words and attitude,

i hope, i speak for most of us, if i say, that you are truly a very smart, strong and loving person, all the best! :)

Thank you so very much everyone for the links, information, advice, wise words, well-wishes and good vibes.:)

Also thanks to those generously offering gifts. Expect a big hug when we meet in person.

Sylbacon, Alchemica, Synchromesh, Herbal Hindsight, Woodragon - WOW! I really appreciate you taking the time to conduct this research on my behalf. Thank you. This is really helpful to me and I am very grateful. Some excellent information.

Great to find out how much I could benefit from increasing my intake of cannabis (which is currenlty zero so easy to do ;)) Mucho gracias muchacho :)

Thank you for sharing your experience Magic Dirt - much appreciated. Pm'd :)

I've also shot you one Faustus. :)

Evil Genius, Mescalito, Blowng, Zen Peddler and PH - your kind and thoughtful words mean a lot. A heartfelt thank you.

Besides some tiredness, I've been feeling well. It's been lovely having time to be, to heal, to be with the people I love, cuddle my cats, really appreciate all that is beautiful.

It's funny though...because I'm feeling so well it's easy to take forgranted that I have a life threatening illness. maybe that's a good thing? But I dont want to fall back in to bad habits either.

Uh oh, kid's home...and she'll want to 'puter.

Much love muchachos. Big hugs x

• Like 4

Hey Wandjina, my heart goes out to you, but as others have said, you seem to be dealing with this in the best way possible. The psyche is a powerful tool and to have a positive attitude I believe will help enormously.

As for medicines for cancers, many species of fungi have been shown to be of great benefit. I've got a few cultures which I would happily send you if you want to grow your own.

sorry to hear it P. wishing you strength. the ability of the human mind and body to heal itself is incredible, however, you know that.

x.

I'm sorry to hear your in such ill health.

I can personally vouch for the benefits of Ganoderma, worth its weight in gold IMO.

Although because it increases liver function many med's seem to get processed rather more quickly than would otherwise be expected.

One last addition from me, hope all is going well.

Herbal Medicine and Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Applications and Challenges (2011)

Use of herbal medicine in the treatment of liver cancer has a long tradition. The compounds derived from the herb and herbal composites are of considerable interest among oncologists. In the past, certain herbal compounds and herbal composite formulas have been studied through in vitro and in vivo as an anti-hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) agent, enhancing our knowledge about their biologic functions and targets. However there is a significant distinction between the herbal medicine and the herbal production even though both are the plant-based remedies used in the practice. In this article, for the sake of clarity, the effective herbal compounds and herbal composite formulas against HCC are discussed, with emphasizing the basic conceptions of herbal medicine in order to have a better understanding of the prevention and treatment of HCC by herbal active compounds and herbal composite formulas.

http://www.hindawi.c...011/541209.html

Edited by Alchemica

No one has mentioned B17 as far as I know.... Very controversial. I don't have a specific link but there is definitely something to this vitamin.