The Corroboree
ubza_1234

my smexy new creation (image heavy)

ok so this is my latest creation. he's a pipe. i'll start with his big ol head. i'm not totally sure what type of wood it is other then a hardwood. i'm thinking some kind uf gum, but cant be sure. i found it in a fire wood pile at my work and the moment i saw it, i knew it was too good a piece of wood to be burnt. his features are hand calved from his baggy eye lids, his lil nose to his spiky hair and his teeth. some of these features are then burnt to give those defined black lines on his face.

his eyes are genuine new zealand paua shell my aunt brought back with her. these have been further polished untill the correct colours have been found as the colour changes as you polish thru different layers of the shell.

in his mouth he bites down on his large red tounge. it is glued in with Cyanoacrylate glue wich comes out a lil as he drewls. this glue was chosen as it seems to be the most inert, hard wearing, predictable, and most importantly least toxic glue and seems to have a high tolerance to high temps. it also cures very clear.. most of the time. his tounge is made from one of my red gums we cut down. it was going to be fire wood and sure, it has cracks in it, but i think his beautiful tounge has been put to much better use. the cracks have been filled in with Cyanoacrylate glue. this has cured mostly clear so the cracks look like there still there in normal light, however they will not acumulate dust and oils that may hurt him or make him ugly. it twists and bends out of his mouth makeing the stem and mouth piece of the pipe. the tounge also has a wonderful bamboo end-grain inlay. (an old chopstick :P) originally the tounge was to face the other way; with the bamboo facing down. the bamboo was the only thing i could find that cound be easily inlayed to cover the channel the smoke travells thru. after playing around with it, i realised how beautiful the inlay looks, so i flipped the tounge the other way, so it could be seen. and yes, every time you have a hit, your makin out with him. XP

all these wooden parts have been sanded down from 40git sand paper all the way up to 1200 grit (for car paints) then metal polish was used. this polish is first removed with a soft cloth then as removed with a high speed rotary nylon brush. finnally it is oiled with my special aromatic oil blend with hinds of cinnamon, nutmeg, and lots of vannila. all these aromas are food grade and the base oil is rice oil. although the pipe looks wonderful after polishing, this oil is applied to help protect the pipe from soaking up liquids, swelling from moisture (like from your mouth!) absorbing dirt as well as making it look great. all this gives it a finish that is somewere between satin and full gloss.

the bowl in his head is fitted with a stainless steel mesh screen. it is fine enough to catch everything, het course enough to not need regular replacing due to clogging. this bowl is roughly 1 inch x 1 inch in size so it is can hold alot, however, if more room is needed, it can be pushed down to a depth of roughly 2.5 inchs. this extra depth was not made to make the pipe hold more i the furure however, it was done so that if the screen does need to be cleaned, one side of the screen can be pushed down, so that the screen is sitting in the pipe sideways, and it can be removed with a tool like pliers. the depth gives it the room to do this.

finally, his lil body is made from plain ol steel. it has been hand cut, shaped, polished, and painted with clear to prtect it from rust. this lil body hods his head up tall... while he sits on your table.

his design has been strickly as a herb pipe. not for chems, and especially not for changa. this was the intention of his creation before he was designed and i'd like to keep it that way if possible.

when i have time to get more organised, i am gonna sell him here. he will come with a 10ml vile of his special oil. but again, when i'm ready, he will be for sale. for now, this thread is just for you all to see what i've done.

hope you like him ;P

W3ai7.jpg

x5MhI.jpg

CR4Bp.jpg

zUKyo.jpg

6qbp0.jpg

YYiTj.jpg

9Q7ks.jpg

ya, this lil mutha fkr can break dance, oh ya ;)

1camZ.jpg

Please PLEASE next time can you resize those images or something before upload? (Or use that scaling effect? I'm not sure how) but they're SO big.

On another note. It's awesome! I love it.

Nice work, mate. He's got a lot of character. I wouldn't mind making out with him at all.

The bamboo looks kinda like jaguar spots, which has a nice tie in.

Sweet!! :)

Please PLEASE next time can you resize those images or something before upload? (Or use that scaling effect? I'm not sure how) but they're SO big.

On another note. It's awesome! I love it.

Great Work!!!!

Sheather, just keep hitting ctrl - untill they fit on the screen...

Dude props that is one of the sickest creations i've seen. As a true connoisseur of all things smokin that pipe is hot. Not sure if u mentioned it but how long did it take you all up?

ubza, you just told everyone how to make a replica of your new creation, which should be a trade secret :P . it looks like it is well balanced, was that tricky. How long did it take to make ?. Really nice work, you should be proud.

hard to say how long it took to make cause i built it in my spare time. But i'd say its only about 12 hours or so all up.

Amazonia i got no sectets, other people are welcome to make there own, however, theirs will never be like mine :P

it is quite balanced, however i still have to fine tune his legs as he falls over easily.

here is my latest creation. i still need to finish her shoes, but more or less finished. her name is Miss Chang A Pipe. she is strictly for changa. she is made from bamboo grown on holy ground. not because i wanted it from that location specifically, but the priest was doing some gardening and cut a heap down and i thought, hey, i could make a pipe outa that :lol:

0sgrM.jpg

her dose has been carefully hollowed out between nodes to become the stem of the pipe.

i01qS.jpg

her lips are red gum that has been soaked in food dye to make her lips redder. i hope they dont leach onto the fingers. her eyes are again paua shell. this shell has been polished and shaped in a particular way untill the pupils were the correct shape and size.

51KAC.jpg

she is made from bamboo grown on holy ground. not because i wanted it from that location specifically, but the priest was doing some gardening and cut a heap down and i thought, hey, i could make a pipe outa that and she was born :lol:

hope you like it guys

ps i'm sorry about the image size again :(

Edited by ubza_1234

once again i love ya work. it would be really cool to use a pipe with so much character. my experience in certain situations has been that just the stains on an old base pipe with background of swirling smoke takes on a very different life and is an interesting focal point. my guess is that you use these to great effect :D

Very creative there ubza. Did you carve the lips? So now you have Mr and Miss Chang A, will there be baby chang A 's coming along any time soon?.

I have a bamboo pipe named 'Charlie'. He is semi retired at the moment as i have had him for about 26 years and he was second hand when he came in to my possession. We would say, "Hey ,let's go and see Charlie", and no-one knew what we were up to.

post-7430-0-13164400-1298330108_thumb.jp

charlie.jpg

charlie.jpg

thanks guys. i'm glad you like her. :D

Amazonian: i did calve the lips. they were loosely based on my own lips crossed with a black persons lips. perhaps that should be my next challenge, to design an small, easy to clean pipe that is still as smooth as the larger ones. it can be done!

^ Those lips are perfect. What tools are you using ? Chisel, Dremel ?

The reason i ask about the tools ubza, is that i am looking into doing a little bit of wood carving myself. I could do with a few tips. I will be picking your brain at the Melbourne meet.

the dremel tool is going to be our best friend. there are battery operated ones and mains power ones. i have both and both have pros and cons. battery operated is heaps easier to use. it feels more natural in the hand however, it runs out of battery eventually, of course. this is anoying but you do get a good few hours out of it. if you choose this option i recomend getting a genuine dremel if you choose this option because it's built well and the batery life is great. the corded one is better in every way exept its heavier and more awcward to hold unless you have the cable thingy that atatchs to the end of it to give a smaller, more confortable grip. this makes things a lil easier, but you still have a great big cable that is heavy and annoying. personally i prefer the cordless one, when the battery is run out, i know i've spent too long in the shed and its time to pack up. try to get a pack with lots of metal bits in it like this one. they cut realy well unlike stone ones and dont wear down so fast so they keep there shape. they also cut ALOT faster wich means you get stuff done faster and safer because you dont need as much pressure to cut through the wood.

chisels are dificult to use because ou need so much pressure to use them. the more pressure your muscles need to exert, the less control they have. they also are very dificult to use across the grain or on the end grain unlike a dremel with a good bit on it. for these reasons chisels are too hard for this young man, ye of little skill... :(

and hand saws and rough files are also a must. you can get your work to roughly the right shape then dremel the wood to get finer details in there then sand it with sand paper to do the final finish.

if your starting with large bits of wood jigsaw is another must to get it to a realy rough shape of the final product.

any more help just ask :)

Thanks ubza,Very helpful. The 'ole boy has a Dremel that i can use. I will look into those bits in that link as i don't want him accusing me of wrecking HIS bits. A Friend has the rechargeable version of Dremel and i find it top heavy. I have a jigsaw but would love a band-saw. I love using chisels and planes, it's so satisfying peeling away layers of wood.

Edited by Amazonian

sdfsfsf

Edited by Teljkon

teljkon: no biggy man, i didnt use silicone to seal up anything. it's realy messy and as you said, well toxic. i used Cyanoacrylate glue. it's realy inert and once those iritant fumes are disapated, the glue doesnt burn easily, doesnt seep in deeper in the wood, doesnt keep releasing fumes forever, dries hard, dries realy quickly and if the pipe gets realy dirty, is solvent safe if dried within 24 hours IME. pitch would be good to get the organic sticker on it, but most of the advantages i listed wont be aplicable i'm guessing. thanks for the feed back tho.

sdfsdf

Edited by Teljkon

hahaha it's not just me who needs to do the maintaining tho, its the new owners. I plan to sell these eventually. My wooden changa pipes (as apose to bamboo, wich i know is still wood, but you know what i mean..) i usually use a special wax as the sealant for the wood. And when i sell these pipes, part of the agreement apon buying is that you will look after it. This includes waxing it twice a year or when it looks dull.

The wax i formulate soaks into the wood quite well. It starts off dull for the 6-12months, but with regular use it gets shinier and shinier. Almost as if, the more you involve the pipe in your life the more it shows it's happy for that. Other polishs maybe better in other ways then my wax, but i like this idea of it giving back to its owner :)