The Corroboree
santiago

Recovering from FACEBOOK

Kinda like what leary did to the student movement.....

Think about it....

Acid divided the student movement into smaller and smaller powerless factions... Whilst you are giving the people great info, you are doing it through their system and hence you are lending power to it.

Halcyon daze from post 48 im proud of you, i bet you really feel that freedom too-its uplifting isnt it, its like this grey haze of negativity, stupidity, jealousy, apathy and lots of other ''ity's'' have been lifted hey.

I've had a sense of freedom ever since.

edit.

I didn't realize how old this thread was. Any tips santiago? I already deleted most of my content weeks ago but I want to be free for good. How does one deal with life after facebook?

im not scared to say im a much securer and better person without it, something so so small and percieved as trivial has really improved my life, get on the bandwagon friends and leave facebook. if something is bugging you in life and you want to breath again-just do it...leave you always have the choice to return.

i have not had a relapse since my last posts, a few months back and im proud of myself. it took me ages to delete every single part of my facebook from apps to posts to walls etc and i changed my name, im just a blank screen with a false name now. i may look into permanent deletion as i can log in anytime still to the blank me.

you know what i dont miss those people who have fallen from my life because of it, if i was so important to them well then they would call me or come over, 3/4 have not- so what the only thing holding together our relationship was meant to be cyberspace- all good and well for some but not good enough for me, here at this forum is different as the communication is more broad and we dont know each other mostly so its socially acceptable and im happy to have you in my life here and of course the some i have met in the flesh, thats even greater.

thats what its about for me now, privacy and meeting my friends in the flesh, its so much better for interpersonal human relationships on a broader scale both physically and psychologically. yes i may have lost 3/4 of my friends but the other 1/4 who have bothered to keep me in the flesh are worth a million friends in comparison to the 3/4 i lost- and i cant be happier, true flesh is what friendship is about.

the only only time i might consider useing facebook or similar social networks is in an emergency or to traverse the tyranny of distance, otherwise i would rather drive 100kms to visit a friend to show them that by physically getting out of my comfort zone to actually vary my life to suit them- its a show of kindness, selfless and caring behaviour towards a loved one or be it friend.

but its not all serious i have been watching the development of social networks and its exiting times with the like of google + (plus) with video conferencing ie the ability to social network face to face, it seems facebook is quickly losing popularity world wide and in a hurry to compete has bought skype, so within a matter of very quick time facebook will have video chat via skype, which is great for people that want the next level, sure im off facebook but if it suits you then fine, go for it...just keep in mind you never get nothing for nothing.

so yes i might actually get a google plus going however contradictory that sounds, more for that emergency contact scenario and it looks way way more professional and i like that.

i think tripsis was the only one to laugh at this so that makes it a good joke.

"Did you hear that ''youtube", ''twitter'' and ''facebook'' are joining forces?

Yeh huge news, whats it gonna be called?

YOU TWIT FACE :innocent_n::lol::uzi:

Edited by santiago

You dont have too. Think about it.... Associations, what if tomorrow legislation was to suddenly change or your rights were to be voted away in some scare campaign. Why are people so fucking dumb. You think that because you are doing nothing illegal that you want to share your friend network and all the posts and updates that come with a whole network that surrounds you..... I bet if I came up on the st and asked you some of the information you gave FB about yourself, you'd be like "who the fuck are you" but your more than happy to just fill in the blanks on some ambigous website.

You don't need facebook. You don't need to arm the enemy.

They use this information to target you specifically. How do they know what buttons to press to win your opinion...... You see, Its not about putting you in jail, its about enslaving you. In order to win they simply get you to choose their options by telling you exactly what you want to hear..... and how do they KNOW what you want to hear.....

Simple

You tell them.....

Exactly it's all about comparmentalisation,kinda keeps things (the masses) tidy.

You can sook about it, or do something about it. I choose to be active in what I believe, if that gets me home invaded, so be it. Atleast I'll hold my head up high knowing I didn't run and hide from what I disagree with. The fucks in power only get away with half this shit because people don't stand up to them, I wont be bullied.

If I had a dollar LOL

Im happy to write. Been 3 years or so clean now.

No issues, life goes on. Family in other parts of Australia. Send letter with stamp.

I had 80 facebook friends. I now have the same 10 friends I had before facebook, strange that. The other 70...I struggle to remember them. I gather they don't remember me either. The strange thing is only my true friends contact me by other methods. Im happy and relieved and also enlightened by the knowledge that most friends are not friends. Simply we go through life and we connect with other people. That connection is usual circumstantial and somewhat forced. Like workmates. Sometimes a friendship, a true friendship is born of circumstance, but mostly out of the thousands we connect with, only a handful are worth the long term time and effort. I think that is a wonderful thing.

In terms of a relationship with a true friend, all the normal factors of relationships need respecting. Trust, privacy, boundaries, respect, honesty and care. Absense also makes the heart grow fonder. The computer negates all these factors. Banking, shopping, buying, selling are all tasks well suited to the computer. Maintaining a healthy and functioning relationship with loved ones is not.

I think that I am very happy to have cleansed myself from facebook. Everyday I meet new people, im not afraid to say hello and goodbye. 10 friends out of perhaps 100000 people I have met. If my maths is right 99.9% of people are merely just hello/goodbye. Why put an effort into what is the essential human condition. Connection is the modern word. Social networking.....it is not networking, it is social auto-misation.

Seriously, he next time you add a friend, realize that 99.9% you are adding an aquantance. You are not connecting with people, a computer is connecting you, you are driving a car...that car is your friend. Your driving on cruise control.

This is only 1 facet of life that I have highlighted, there are many many more. For myself the definition of lonely is facebook. I once strove for connection, when the connection is in the shake of a hand and the smell of a jumper.

Don't be afraid to pull the plug, friendship is a natural thing. Like a garden if you get your hands dirty, you reap rewards. Computers can maintain certain basic functions and keep a garden alive for a while but they will never replace a heartbeat.

• Like 3

I kicked FB a couple months back and only then was I able to see truly how habitual it was... twice I sat down at the PC and the next thing I knew I had logged in and reactivated my account out of habit and not only realising until my partner looked over and said "are you back on facebook now?"

I still think on a regular basis when I hear something worth ranting or joking about "if only I was on facebook - I could share this fleeting thought with people" and then remind myself that I don't need other people to validate my opinions or witticisms.

It has also made me reconsider the people in my life that I have the time and desire to keep in contact with via phone or in person, versus the 'friends' I haven't corresponded with since deleting my account. Settling down with my partner and not partying as much has reduced my overall social exposure, but I am still not short of close friends by any means.

I remember a middle aged bogan woman telling me once that friends are there for 'a reason, a season or for life'... it's just the way it goes.

Edited by indigo264nm

Social exposure is over rated unless your trying to network whore or find a mate haha :worship:

Im still on there im not even sure why (started out due to a girl but isnt it always), well i guess i keep it open as an option for contacting friends i otherwise wouldnt call because i dislike phones and usually broke/ outta credit :wink:

barely make any posts, comments or likes, could probably count the number on one hand, i like having the option to send a msg or chat if/when i want to other then having to call or pm/email etc although deep down i know its a worldwide data mining exercise and perhaps social experiment. Almost all of the interesting/worthwhile things i in gauge with are posted by SAB/Plant heads

Edited by -YT-

YT! Blast from the past man, we should be facebook friends haha!

Facebook is what it is, I guess it is about your personal relationship to that medium. It's definitely weird this social networking stuff. Even the addition of the "like" button on this forum threw me for a loop TBH, cause I don't know when to use it and when not to, and what it means if I do and what it means if I don't, lol.

I won't ever understand social networking. I believe in the mechanism of fate, predisposition (but it is complicated), social networking can make coincidences cloudy. But like YT, FB is a convenient way to keep in touch with people I consider to be friends but that are remote from me (which is everyone!) and for which other methods are not really feasible.

But I still have the same dilemma with the "like" button on FB and never press the damn thing. That like button is a gateway drug hey! If you got addicted to FB, I am glad you kicked the habit.