The Corroboree
santiago

Recovering from FACEBOOK

When i was at Rainbow I noticed a lot of the people I was spending the most time with were not on facebook, about five of them!

Then again, today a well known artist told me today via FB that his artwork had blossomed because of my influence in his life.

And just then, I found out a friend is having a mexican sauna tomorow night at his place. He told everyone through facebook events.

There can be a lot of value in it, but there can be a lot of fluff... I think its often a useful tool and everyone has their own relationship with it, even if that is no relationship!

All this talk about facebook has me fiendin for an add. Look out Folias, you're next.

(I'm only half serious)

FB account killed. Hated the frigging thing and just got sucked along into it thinking I'd find old friends. As has been stated and so oft talked about, the people I talk to and interact with hasn't changed. The ones I did want to hook back up with I could've spent an hour calling other friends and getting their numbers...

Major invasion of privacy and weirdness with billions of people posting pictures n shit up without getting permission etc... it's noxious.

been 4 weeks off the modern grid, all going good.

this pales in comparison to proper addictions but does prove to me how powerful addictions in general. my social life has not imploded, contrary it is still shuffling along. its good to hear that iconic nokia message tone sometimes i comparison to the silent lonileness of a facebook profile.

im slowly advising my contacts of an email address and i must admit i have logged back on to FB.

i know it sux but im trying to delete 5 years of verbal poo. somebody on here got me thinking that bit by bit deletion is the only way to go.

but its for a reason and i call it the 4 walls theory. my life is now better because instead of pusuing an ego revolving around my computer self, filled with vanity, greed and sexuality based on a two dimensional critique of my self........................that bullshits gone. people have to go out of their way to contact me, no my friend...if you want to look at my family photos then friend make yourself more than welcome to join me for a beer at my place and the hardcopy photo album is there on the loungeroom table.

once apon a time true freedom was measured by securing your house with the 4 walls and thats your private castle, access is only permitted to family, friends and inner sanctom. i may be rambling but dont underestimate closing yourself off...its totally normal, its not really normal to give a running online entry point to what is essentially the most important factor in most peoples lives, privacy..protecting your ego from manipulation, self confidence derived from hidden inner strengths.

in regards to political movements its scary technology, egypt for example...organised by a facebook page, its kinda weird in a movie like terminator the artificial intelligence superimposed could actually be zuckerberg..even obama reckons he is a cyberspace campaigner..is the artificial intellligence facebook the program, cause of a possible future world war..even if its just the idea stage.

nuclear war declared via the national movement of zib, via a secret facebook group...

anyway im just being stupid, hopefully i can stay clean and delete myself and my thread traces on my facebook account, thanks for reading..disconnect whilst you can, save yourself.

Edited by santiago

I still hold that it is a useful tool of communication. I find it annoying that you can "untag" yourself from photos but have no chance of removing photos with you in them off the site. Alas, the only fix I can think of is to get everyone I know off facebook or stop them from taking my photos. Neither option looks fantastic. So long as you don't accept friend requests from every person you've ever met, keep it solely to good friends (and MAYBE family. Rethinking my choice to leave them there)

I dunno, each unto his own I guess.

You'd all go nuts if the gov wanted to compile profiles of each and every1 of you. But set it up yourself and upload more secrets than they'd ever know normally and you have the most efficient human database in the western world. Sure every1 doesn't use it, but better to have a percentage of the populous profiled rather than none. And they do it all while making you tyhink it's your choice.

I abhore FB

hey zuckerberg are you reading this.......im sure somehow you are, please watch the following video, look familiar doesnt it.

save yourself a visit from the future and close down skynet..........er facebook now. save the human race mr zuckerberg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9c1PME1c0I

Edited by santiago

Has anyone reading this ever tried to contact facebook or found a way to have their account completely deleted? If so please share the details of how this is done.

I was reading something somewhere recently on how much the environments around us have changed in the last few hundred years - this includes stuff like using computers, mobile phones etc... yet the physical evolution of human beings takes way way longer to adapt... the point of the article was that we are still using the same brains and bodies as people did thousands of years ago yet we are faced with the reality of screens, cars, trains and everything that is modern life. How can our minds and bodies hope to cope with this... they sort of can't. Anyhow...

I'm slightly heartened to see that my computers spell checker is yet to accept facebook as a word.

What a well-written opening post. This reflects my opinion of the creepy social networking trends - I deactivated a year ago.

I also fail to see the sense in Twitter, apart from stimulation for stupid people. No offence intended, but my attention span is too long to even comprehend Twitter's purpose.

It is kind of cool that the original SN site that rose to fame (myspace) is now pretty much the domain of artists. Kind of cool street cred, but I don't even use that, unless I have something I need to host for the purposes of sharing with / seeking feedback from forum strangers

At least forums allow an opportunity to express ones self in more detail.

Sorry if I'm posting too long, as a new member here :) Where's the "Like" button ?

thanks for your kind comment psylo much appreciated.

i would also like to say i really appreciate this place as it allows left of centre expression and i like the fact that the general population here really thinks outside the square.

syncro i found your main vid in post 34 very enlightening........i do remember watching one of those late night real life crime fighting shows and seeing them trace somebody via a facebook account so perhaps the FBI link and a database mentality isnt that far fetched.

kindness........i think facebook wont allow you to leave totally as they own your information, so as far as they are concerned that tough luck and they can do what they want.....in any way they want if you read the fineprint and believe syncros link/s which i tend to do in this case.

i have been logging back into my account and slowly deleting everything one by one until im basically a blank shell, what concerns me is if facebook still keeps a master copy of this somewhere regardless of my deleting.....which unfortunately im sure we will never be privvy too. at the moment im only back to 2008 and its taking ages as i only do it every so often.

when i eventually delete im going to jot down email addresses of my friends i want to keep in contact with that i dont have phone numbers for or for example are overseas which is a few, then ill make a final status update stating if anybody wants to keep in contact with me then please use the email address i will supply. then finally i will shut the crap off forever content in the knowledge i did my best to keep up with old aquantances and those who endevour to re-contact me respect my god given right to privacy.

this may sound a bit far fetched but bear with me. a few months before my OP i set up a group for mine and my mates cricket team.........it was set to 'secret'. to tell the honest truth this was the most enjoyable time i had on facebook.............we could post pics (often very rude) and say what the fuck we wanted and because it was a secret group nobody else could see our post pics or anything......when its a secret group it kinda remains da DA DAAAA secret. well why not take this a step further..........create a secret group with your own name.............ie Joe Bloggs (secret group). invite your best friends to join YOU the secret group and then you can share whatever you want in privacy. if your determined to keep the normal facebook cool............then keep that as your show off zone and a place for those loving work friends, rellies and hahaha old best wishing school friends. basically what your doing is adding a level of security. and you keep YOU the secret group....free of snoopers and clingons.

personally i wont be doing that as i still dont trust the system and will be getting rid of it all but those who just cant let it go..............upgrade your security and use the system against the system.

Nice one Santiago :) I like the topic and I reckon it is only going to become more of an issue should power stations continue to pump juice to our pc's over the next while, (;) bit of cross posting there but hey...)

Here is what i did.

- messaged the two or so people I actually didn't have email for telling them my facebook was bye bye's.

- deleted every friend I had.

- deleted every message I had.

- retracted from every group I had joined.

- deleted all photos I had on my page.

- changed the name of my account from my real name to a ridiculous name involving vegetables, i.e. my name is now pumpkin radish.

that is the best I could come up with.

so... does facebook own whatever content I added as their own intellectual property now?

I also fail to see the sense in Twitter, apart from stimulation for stupid people. No offence intended, but my attention span is too long to even comprehend Twitter's purpose.

Gotta love how it's used in political debates now... :wink:

ok............i have had a relapse

it took ages to delete every single part of my profile, different name, zero info, wall less, app less, pic less, white for profile image so its blank.

still cant help that little stickybeak can i into others lives though...............horrible.

G.H- loves hot cross buns

M.N- is suffering from full moon

T.P- is friends with other people

G.G- watched a movie

K.L-is worried about sleeping

N.B-has posted pics of her at a cafe drinking coffee

R.I- was eating something

i feel disappointed now, what have i done.

is there anything at all i can do with my relapse? the information i have recieved above is hard to decipher...........R.I for example, who gives a shit

why in anyway whatsoever would i be interested in this.........or any of the above true statuses,

s p a m.................all it is is s p a m, thats the conclusion i have come too

S P A M S P A M

endless drivel.

random useless information are we really just baffled by lifes shit talking- basic bullshit day after day with people filling the boring uselessness of their lives, actually themselves fooled into a belief they are needed and wanted.

even when i go out into the real world if you just break down all the rules of life, we are simply just born bullshit artists scrounging around life using our charm-or lack of it, telling people what they want to hear and almost forcing a facade of percieved self to convince others that you are real.

blah blah blah

yes you are real, yes you are a person.....thats life

if i had a wall on facebook i would write my last ever status

it would be...........

i am breathing

Edited by santiago

random useless information are we really just baffled by lifes shit talking- basic bullshit day after day with people filling the boring uselessness of their lives, actually themselves fooled into a belief they are needed and wanted.

Yep. I'm trying enough as it is to keep my mouth shut from blabbing about useless shit as it is, without having a captive audience having to listen/see it.

There's something to be said for blabbering about useless shit, there's alot to be learnt from your own seemingly mindless drivel...

Blah blah blah. Cashews.

mmmmmm........ cashews.....

YUM!!

I think that the enjoyment of Facebook depends on your character type and what you make of the site. There are some people who are about what everyone is doing all the time, from the random to important. For me, that's Twitter - Facebook is something you have to ENGAGE in, which just takes too much time IMO.

When my friends have something lengthy to say, they link outside to their blog from Twitter. Otherwise, the blurbs are all I need while I'm living my own life.

What a coincidence, I just deleted my account late last night. Mainly due to all the people I hated at school. I don't want them to know anything about me, I don't want to have to live up to anyone else and I don't want them to know the good things that are about to happen in my life. Fu#k 'em.

I've had a sense of freedom ever since.

edit.

I didn't realize how old this thread was. Any tips santiago? I already deleted most of my content weeks ago but I want to be free for good. How does one deal with life after facebook?

Edited by Halcyon Daze

It can be useful for keeping tabs on people you care about and for marketing.

Overall, more dangerous than guns to the public at whole, imho.

I use facebook for marketing. It is the best free source of advertising anyone can hope to get. I also sell my services to others. For example i will get someone 1,000 likes for $50 or promoted an event for local bands for around $10 a pop. Not much but it is damn good when your doing 50+ events a week which i was at one stage.

edit: got sidetracked.

good on you for getting off it though, however for myself personally after having moved 4 hours from my friends i like facebook as a simple way too keep up to date with the news and whatnot back where i was from !

Edited by DarkSpark

I dont have any real probs with it. maybe that I waste time sometimes,... but if it wasnt wasting time with FB it would be with some other form of entertainment.

No people I hate as friens,... the ones I hated I booted off my friends list immediatly,... people know how to get in touch with me easily.... so that is great.

I even stay in touch with my close friends that now live faaaaa faaaaa away over the rainbow....

I think the 'need to get off of Facebook' warning vid is for people that dont have much of a life and need to go find themselves ONE. < not trying to hurt feelings here,... just saying that that vid absolutely is not representative of most Face bookers and it is usually just a phase in people's lives.....