The Corroboree
santiago

Recovering from FACEBOOK

I dont know why im compelled to write this possibly its just in the hope i might be able to help somebody else escape from the grasp of the famous social networking site called facebook.

Now there are heaps of pro's and cons of facebook but personally after 5 odd years as a member it was starting to wear real thin on my nerves. I didnt realise it until one night i woke up at 5am (which i never do) and was compelled to deactivate my account. So i did, 4 weeks later it feels like a great weight has been lifted and im FREE.

Now dont get me wrong i was no facebook addict by a long shot, mainly i used it for free communication, email...the occasional humerous facebook status update, looking at photos that sorta thing, on the other hand i have friends who are connected nearly 24/7, have multiple farmville accounts, stalk, sit on chat and wait for any poor unsuspecting soul to log on so they can talk harrass them 3 seconds later not to mention other such petty activities as friend collecting to pretend like they have 650 friends in some misguided popularity contest.

Once apon a time it was deemed cool to be a facebooker, ill go out on a limb now and say i wont be the first to join the disconnecting crew and you will see hopefully in the next year or two a mass movement away from facebook as people realise that facebook is now extremely ANTI COOL.

Mainly now im enjoying my privacy back, at first i thought it was cool to put pics of my family and friends on, until you find yourself on google images, then you top up your privacy and somehow the people who you hated at school 20 years ago still somehow filter through and freind request you............then you realise as your choosing to accept them into your domain that you flippin well used to hate each other at school anyway so why would they even bother to try befriend you now, so you decline them and a month later they request you again. Im telling you this is just sick and there must be something wrong with people heads to think this is normal life.

Then your family start requesting you and you have really no choice but accept them and your private life is now not private. So to add to the point and i dont use things to be cool but facebooks not really cool anymore when your friends see you add your 80yo grandma with blue hair hangin off a scooter doing the rock telephone with her fingers is it.

And people dont realise that every single bit of info you write or add is all owned by facebook, not you anymore.............hey why dont you just give the key of your soul to the devil for FREE.

Anyway i was hoping to be more concise...ill try add to my feelings in later posts, all im saying is that from somebody who was a skilled and quite normal user of facebook i have now seen the light, actually deep inside the actual word facebook now actually makes me feel sick inside...cant stand the word, i see it as nothing but a tool for the insecure, a popularity contest and a medium for people to stroke their little ego's and wank on about their unimportant lives.

No longer will i allow my privacy to be invaded, i have a house i live in and thats my private world and jack the wanker from school is not invited, as a matter of fact my friends are not invited either, we will talk on the phone and catch up for a beer like normal people should.

4 weeks later i have lost the urge to look at a petty facebook uptate at 11PM at night by jill "i went to dinner and had fish" who flippin well cares jill, and for gods sake why the hell do i feel compelled to read that shit. And i dont...................im FREE, free of the bullshit, free of the hype, free of the pettyness and most of all mentally im free from the soul sucking, waste of time, annoyingness of FACEBOOK.

to finally sum up my last point is i now spend 20 mins per day learning guitar, its the 20 mins i prolly would have spent looking blankly at a blue facebook screen with a speck of dribble floating out of my non comprehensive mouth, i have learned more guitar in the last 4 weeks than in the last 6 months and as its directly replaced my facebook time im happy to say my feet are well and trully on real and solid ground.

I still enjoy time online. However i know there is something sinister about facebook and it will be a detriment to your life, my advise is leave see how you go and post here how you feel, and it would be great to see in general how we all feel about it pros/cons etc and general stuff before i get back on here and rubbish it some more, cos ill be back.

• Like 5

Good on ya!

I've never been compelled to do stuff like facebook, to me it always seemed like an invasion of privacy. I can see there are good points but if something gets to the point where it's a chore to maintain you have to stop and think if it's worth the trouble.

I hate the way people post pics of me and my family and don't even have the decency to ask me if it's OK first.

I know people who spend upwards of 6 hours a day playing meaningless facebook games set in virtual worlds that are so pathetic I wouldn't have played them 15 years ago. They sit around with a chat box open and talk crap as they play while the house and family get relegated to a status lower than their virtual life. They sit there gleary eyed clicking on virtual treasures and serving virtual coffee to other people who've abandoned their lives for virtual reality.

Then there's the facebook snobbery syndrome - if you aren't on facebook to some people you are a lesser being. It seems that facebook shoves your morals up your arse.

Fuck facebook.

This is a brilliant video ironically someone sent me via facebook... such an awesome well made video with a very powerful message! No doubt you will love this santiago!

you need to get off facebook

• Like 5

I understand what you are saying, however, it is a useful tool for communication. I can still maintain my privacy though. I use a made up name but my friends know it's me, I have no qualms about not adding people I don't like, nobody but me sees my photos, my display picture is of an animal, nobody can post on my wall, my DOB is incorrect and the email address I use for business purposes is different to the one I use for Facebook so workplaces etc can not try to find me.

It is a handy tool if you want to keep up to date with certain events, artists, invitations etc but some people are too reckless with their information. A friend of mine uses it to track down people for debt collection and it's a good way to get yourself fired.

I understand what you are saying, however, it is a useful tool for communication.

Would you say.... 50 Billion dollars good?

Farcebook. The final step in disassociating from Earth... for most.

It has its uses but in the wrong hands, virtually everyone, it is a disease.

My first fb account i opened and went crazy on adding friend as an experiment. Could see the problems quite easily wen u got 2000+ friend.

Fb closed my account. They beat me to it lol. But i could imagine that happening to those who made their account their life. they woulda bin crippled.

It can be useful for keeping tabs on people you care about and for marketing.

Overall, more dangerous than guns to the public at whole, imho.

i can dig it santiago

Told myself the same thing migraineur, i found interesting the people who i wanted to keep in contact with no longer speak to me via facebook as i decided to relegate myself to inactive heheh which is kinda lame as i value the friendships but cant be fucked being active on such a site which means my friends wont talk to me anymore..are we still friends somebody like this post pllllz! hahahahaha :P

• Like 1

It doesn't show it was me who liked ur post so im posting for the recognition

• Like 1

No exaggeration I know 2 other people bar myself who don't use facebook... that's how penetrating it has become! It just wreaks of insecurity and it's all too fake for me... :) "PLS LIKE ME PLS PLS PLS PLS PLS" is about the only message most facebook pages put out...

I have almost 300 FB friends,

some of them I don't like,

some of them I don't know,

70+ of them I work with or have worked with.

but most of them I like in someway.

I'm not proud to say it, but I use it in a way that is unhealthy to my real life relationships.

I use facebook and enjoy it. - I enjoy it in the same way alcoholics like to drink.

• Like 1

I've never done facebook, i don't think i could handle it. One addiction is enough, and this is it. At least here can be educational. I think facebook is alright for teenagers . Miss '9' keeps nagging me for a Facebook account, "But all my Friends have got one" she says. I just keep putting it off .

Edited by Amazonian

Lol, i dont see how it is an invasion of privacy when the only info ppl can see is what you put on there yourself, its not like it compels you to put fotos of yourself in questionable circumstances (Like WT does). Ontop of that you can set your privacy settings and block or ignore anyone you like.

Its a good feeling finding old school friends, friends you havent seen or talked to for years and then realising just why you havent seen or talked to them for years, sometimes we all need that little reminder :P

Seriously though, i use it like i used to use msn, just to chat to the folk i need to or want to. I dont like having my picture taken let alone showing it to everyone i know and yes, the ppl that update their status every 15 minutes must be very bored but hell, it is up to them what they do and how they do it.... as long as they let me know via facebook, i dont wanna miss a minute! Especially since i missed the party that Watertrade showed pictures of on his wall, man, im def not gon miss the next party you have Jman!!!

155516_114359035295836_100001652198362_80598_2225337_n.jpg

As for the games on FB, i have never played any until tonight. I had a game of scrabble against my sister which was ok but i couldnt be farkled playing any of the other games on there, im not really into games anymore unless it involves REAL alcohol or drugs, passing out, urinating in ones pants whilst unconscious, having an eyebrow shaved off and having pirate pictures drawn all over your head/body. I can win at them kinda games :)

Its a good feeling finding old school friends, friends you havent seen or talked to for years and then realising just why you havent seen or talked to them for years, sometimes we all need that little reminder :P

bahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

dalm strait

bahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

dalm strait

by the way

thats P.D in the niddle with the orange suit

bwhaaaaaaaa

I just use Facebook to chat to friends basically. I used to use MSN Messenger for that but nobody uses it anymore.

FB certainly had ups and downs, and I think I spend too much time on it. It's certainly a good way to procrastinate in doing something useful with your life!

FB certainly had ups and downs, and I think I spend too much time on it. It's certainly a good way to procrastinate in doing something useful with your life!

Does anyone here disagree with this? haha

I have to agree with everyone... I hate the fkn thing... but it's a very handy tool.. ive found a good mate who i lost touch with and is now living in new york for a couple years ao its enabled us to re-connect and that has been awesome [doesnt mean i need to keep fb to keep in touch though]

i use it for events, discussions on various topics [similiar to this site] and just for a laugh but it is a terrible tool for procrastination aswell you can spend hours on it and then realise you havent done ANYTHING constructive... now that is dangerous... it creates a degree of seperation which we do still have control of

• Like 1

80yo grandma with blue hair hangin off a scooter doing the rock telephone with her fingers is it.

man if you grandma is doing that shit at 80 she rocks:)

i cant comment i never signed up to facebook. saw it for what it was when it started.

i cant be fucked with that shit, i avoid telephones for the most part. i notice as well a lot of new phone deals are for social networking free usage, so even when your out away from a computer siting in a nice park having a picnic with yoru loved one or something like that, you can still access fucking facebook or whatever the others are.

anyway i wanna see more 80 year old nannas rocking out on scooters, now that is cool shit, i love when old people show us youngens that they can still do shit, and they get out there and give shit a go, todays life is for the young, old people are meant to sit in chairs and take medications and remember the old days, fuck that, dont beleive the hype, keep active and old people can do awesome shit

i know a 70 year old chinese man, he would kick anyones arse, he can still do he praying mantis pretty well, younger ones cant keep up with him, lin wan gim sword play, is fast with lots of jumps he springs like a mantis, shows no sign of exhaustion at the end just laughs at how everyone else is puffed and cant keep up, rock on old dudes

Haven't used my FB in months - about the same time I discovered tumblr.

I begrudgingly used FB, but tumblr is pure love. It's more about connecting with like-minded strangers with similar interests, hobbies etc. I feel like I am being intellectually stimulated on tumblr...FB, not so much. :wacko:

Not so long ago I got sick of all the bullshit posts and shit that I didn't want to hear from people I didn't really know of Facebook, so what I did was I went through my friends list and got rid of everyone that I didn't know well.

That left me with 40 friends. I still consider that a little bit too much, personally, even if 8 of the 40 are family members.

This link might interest people somewhat. Though I'm not sure how legitimate it is, being from cracked.com.

Now I only use facebook as an equivalent to email. Just check every couple of days to see if people are saying stuff to me.

Ha ha. Guess it's what you make of it.

I need VPN to check facebook - don't check it much. But I reconnected with old good friends via it so it has been priceless for that.

I don't trust that any link back to myself eg via the user's email account, won't be misused or abused. I despise that potential invasion of privacy; I'm too private a person for that and I cringe when I think of what I may have posted a few years ago in a livejournal account which I haven't used in years. I know someone who is constantly checking his FB on his iphone and he always looks frazzled or anxious like he's distracted from what's going on in RL around him. I have another friend who would get really depressed when she would look through her uni "friends" accounts and see absolutely no photos of herself posted in albums of partys she actually attended when there may have been dozens of photos posted. Her uni "friends" were mostly gigantic arseholes and things like that were just another slap in the face. Other things like seeing a "friend" ignore her either on FB or in RL saying they were busy, yet she'd find out they were extremely active with other friends in RL or FB.

Personally for me it's the possibility of invasion of privacy that's the main reason I won't get one. Also I watched that The Social Network movie and while I know it's still a movie despite it trying for accuracy, and now I don't want one to give them any more profits. The original idea of connecting only with who you want to connect with came from the idea of exclusivity of cliques.

For a lot of people - particularly school kids - this just gives another platform of social life to be excluded or outcast from.

That said, I have lots of friends who from what I've seen haven't got a problem with it, and they mainly use it to catch up with other friends to see what band's playing this weekend and who's going. My partner has one - which he mostly uses for his band and connecting with friends and family interstate - and he always tells me what's going on. I remain in blissful ignorance otherwise :lol:

I just don't like it, and won't have one. Though it was interesting to see via another friend that an old highschool friend has now had a baby and married some dude who got her into white supremacy groups blink.gif

Think I said something in FaceBook Whoring thread around April last year :-) Good on ya Santiago,if peeps spent a mere 20 mins Meditating like you are learning guitar then we'd be getting there faster and life would be happier :-) (More musicians too!!!! LOL) I think I said "It's a Wank"....6hrs doing ummm NOTHING is ridiculous.That's how much sleep I get! Anyone who knows or gives a shit about me can find me easily...shows that convenience and building fake farms and accumulating "popularity" numbers is more important than ya "mates". Just seeing all the nice Motorbikes,new toys and fishing trip pics,new car just made me feel inferior,a loser,broke with no hope...it depressed me no end. I get 2 real friends who come and chat with me here where I live at least twice a week...the only reason some ring is they have moved. As for relatives well,they can get stuffed.They weren't there all these years when the chips were down,now we have a baby they want in!!? Got a Facebook account? Nup! Pfft I ended up telling my natural mother to leave us alone as she insisted on coming to see us on my 40th Birthday.I was crook from withdrawals,but that didn't matter! They wanted to meet at McShithouse with or without me.....if I still had FB man I'd be shitty everyday LOL Mcfuckers with their McFuckburgers and McGraders. They can get McFucked...I'd never take my kid there.EVER. (sorry 'bout that ;-) ) Old Facebook hey!,yet another way to delay the expansion of Human Consciousness and Evolution. Choose Life

• Like 2

Not real name , no family pics, 465 friends, hide all farmville / fishville freaks , add shamans ,spiritual and awakened zionist fighters.... spread truth, flirt with milfs lol