The Corroboree
bogfrog

the universe shines upon us today

we had the incredible fortune of seeing the most beautiful trichocereus brigesii mosntrose ever the other day and traded the guy a san pedro crest for an awesome chunk of it. then went for a wander up the road to find the house he originally got the cutting from, who let us take an even bigger piece.

we are gobsmacked. 100 %!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56226923@N07/?saved=1

awesome score! , they look a bit different to the oz clones i reckon

Nice healthy looking segments :)

No pics of the mother(s) ???

Awesome finds.

They do look different from what I regard the commonest type [short form] but it might be due to enviromental reasons or even because they are coming from big mother plants.

I would love to see the mothers if you took photos of them!

Two of the emerging pups seem to be coming from worn out penis tips - and penis tips have no areoles so :wacko: ?!??!

Mutant, I didn't think tbms need to pup from areoles, they seem to pup from wherever they want.

Any chance of trades or sales of the tbm later on? This thing is a beast!

yeah most tbms seem to pup above or below the areole.

ime that is

yeh they pup from the areoles, if there is no areole then there is no pups. Looks like regular tbm to me, some segments can get fist sized on larger plants.

yeh they pup from the areoles, if there is no areole then there is no pups.

figured that would be the case. do your tbms pup directly from the areole like non monstrose trichos or from just above or below it?

Well as the pup emerges and splits the plant somewhat it appears that the areole be below, to the side or perhaps on the top, i havent been out and inspected the tbms for a bit so cant say whch way the majority of mine go but i assume all of the mentioned.

Edited by PD.

actually, looking through my photos this seems to be the case :rolleyes:

Edited by centipede

yeh they pup from the areoles, if there is no areole then there is no pups. Looks like regular tbm to me, some segments can get fist sized on larger plants.

some sections without pups for like 30-40cms? pretty cool even if its just the normal clone but its about a meter tall with more pups at the top

centipede, I think PD is right on the money.

whether a little above or a little below or whatever pups ARE coming from the areoles.

pupping from the areole-less tip as dude says is something I think CAN happen in general with cacti, albeit rarely, but this hasn't happened to my TBMs ever.

I still consider it somewhat strange...

Mutant, I didn't think tbms need to pup from areoles, they seem to pup from wherever they want.

Any chance of trades or sales of the tbm later on? This thing is a beast!

well that would depend on two things..

firstly you would have to be in nz

and secondly it would depend on what you would want to trade for a piece.

but if your in nz make an offer?.. the main two plants are my partners and i got the single fat pup so it would be up to him

I'm in NZ at the moment, but there's no way I could bring a piece back to Aus. Decent looking segments off a large healthy plant by the looks of it. Single segments can get pretty massive on mature plants.

I'm in NZ at the moment, but there's no way I could bring a piece back to Aus. Decent looking segments off a large healthy plant by the looks of it. Single segments can get pretty massive on mature plants.

You're welcome to come visit if you're in Auckland at all :)