The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mutant

An interesting scop

Question

This was given to me from a friend and thankfully it has gone very well and retained its sturdiness despite the neglect and hoppers attacks. I am not sure when exactly this friend of mine applied that fucky chemical to his mother plant, but aren't those markings of monstrosa phenotypes? Or it is a regular phenomenon?

I haven't talked with my friend for some time, I have been trying to get him get a photo of his mutated branch to see, but no joy.

P1010494.jpg

MSS , what da think man?

This has been called a scopXpach , but I think it could be a scop. Friend says it has a tendency for 4 ribs but it doesn last in general. Also, this dude has been ferting the mother plants regularly, hence the rigor and fattiness of the cactus, up to a point. You can see it next to a bridgesii to compare

P1010505.jpg

here are the markings:

P1010491.jpg

P1010492.jpg

P1010512.jpg

P1010493.jpg

What do you think? a scop? a scopXpach?

17 answers to this question

As I posted at the nook, believe it to be a X based on my experience with Scop here. Peculiar "damage", kinda looks like insect damage in the pics (not that I've ever seen insects do that), but real life is probably different.

yeah i thought snail damage at first glance

edit: i meant, i thought this when i first looked then changed my mind

Edited by centipede

don't think so. looks like the plant's doing it. I think it reminds of some patterns of some awesome pachanoi monstrosa of MSS.

My friend just told be his mother did these marks before the chemical, so it's irrelevant

Pretty plant, but I can't tell with any certainty that it is outside of the realm of possibility of being a T. scopulicola. I'm going to stick with it just being a T. scopulicola, but no doubt if it came with a hybrid tag I'd leave it on just for shits and giggles.

As for the skin issue, well it is probably just something caused by environment, as though I had it on my monstrose "short spined T. peruvianus" it only happened one season even though I've had the plant for at least a decade. The monstrose formation happened regardless of this strange skin issue.

Could it be the longer spined variant of T. scopulicola like this one...

2622530567_f10654da59_o.jpg

~Michael~

Edited by M S Smith

I would not hurry up to say the marks are enviromentally triggered ONLY, as this clone seems to do it consistently.

I mean, the dude that gave this to me lives in a much colder and frosty climate, northern greece. The markings have been consistent, at least for this particular clone. The fact the one monstrosoid pach Philocacti[nook] has is doing tha same is strong evidence that these marks are not totally irrelevant to some monstrosoid tendency.

Other than that, I agree with your speculation Michael, it might well be a proper scop, the longer spined variety you have mentioned. So far it is too much scoppy I think for someone to be sure it's a hybrid, as I have been told from the begining.

Also some dude fed some of this to his pet jaguar and the jaguar went crazy, so it's quite a crazy clone if you know what I mean.

Edited by mutant

P1010538.jpg

P1010539.jpg

the areoles are consistently recessed I say, if this is a must have to class as a scop...

!!!! my first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P1010806.jpg

P1010805.jpg

congrats!!!

the morphology of the flower will put to rest the question of if this is a hybrid

Edited by Archaea

P1020128.jpg

P1020127.jpg

P1020126.jpg

P1020691.jpg

the spirit of the 4 winds!!!!

same clone, horizontal rooted

• Like 1

hey

how come this doesn't show up whan I search for my threads?

P1070925.jpg

P1070924.jpg

can anyone speak more about this ID

I believe its scop from thew phenotype, but still

and

whats more

are these flowers opening tonight?

because if they are, I will miss them again!!

UNLESS

someone replies in time and I drive there, only to see my first trichocereus in flower

I never saw them last year

• Like 1

it looks like a big scop, the ones in Oz have many variations they add and drop ribs, honestly the toughest cacti I grow. Nice plant.

• Like 1

congrats!!!

the morphology of the flower will put to rest the question of if this is a hybrid

Please elucidate.

Personally I dont think its a scop, more than likely its a mutt. :wink:

The buds/fuzzballs from your last years photo have too much brown in them as compared to the buds on a scop that flowered for me.

post-3765-0-90799500-1349149936_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-90799500-1349149936_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-90799500-1349149936_thumb.jpg

The buds/fuzzballs from your last years photo have too much brown in them

yes they have brown/grey indeed.

is this really indicative of scop??

I am noting yours is the one called short spined var or better, the no spine var.

I guess I have to take a look at trouts book

Nice plant.

To me this plant seems to have more in common with the Super Pedro/cordo/Lance than wht gets around as scop in Aus but wether Super Pedro etc is a hybrid or just a phenotype of scopulicola or perhaps a naturaly occurring intermediate is still unclear.

How does it feel?, scops have that very distinct bumpy/pimpley skin while Super Pedro has it also its not as pronounced.

I think the flowers are more similir to Super pedro than to scop aswell, not the best pics but I dug out a couple for comparison.

Super Pedro

post-2263-0-14553400-1349312345_thumb.jp

scopulicola

post-2263-0-48694900-1349312357_thumb.jp

From what I have seen of scopulicola in Aus & even pictures like Zelly's what we call scopulicola is either a very stable species with little phenotypic variation or possibly even all the same clone.

Someone realy needs to goto Bolivia & sort out wether scop is a very stable species & super Pedro etc are hybrids or is a species with similiar phenotypic variations as seen in other Tricho species & that what we call Super Pedro etc are just phenotypes of scopulicola.

On the weird skin thing Sausage Plant does the same thing alot for me & I have seen others post pics of theirs that did the same.

post-2263-0-14553400-1349312345_thumb.jpg

post-2263-0-48694900-1349312357_thumb.jpg

post-2263-0-14553400-1349312345_thumb.jpg

post-2263-0-48694900-1349312357_thumb.jpg

Edited by shruman
  • Like 3

Cool nice post. Sadly I did not see the flower as open as this ones of the true scop. And moreover, I have no real experience with IDing through flowers in trichocerei. I have see them only in pics and never studied the litterature on this.

Interestingly, MS said that cordobensis/lance/SP etc might as well be a real scop.

in my eyes, even if the superpedro/lance etc plants were hybrids, they are definately on the scop side, judging from the phenotype - but they might grow a bit faster than the true spineless scop - note I have one from oz too, a spineless one.

Seeing more hybrids of scop might help. I was sent some from US, they're scop X juuls giant , but would be viceversa

on a side note, today I sorted out that seeds the plant had made, seemingly with no other flower in the area. I was thinking of sowing them, at last!

fruit with no known partner - could also be an echinopsis from the area? pretty difficult, I vote for self pollination