The Corroboree
mutant

If you really want to learn what the snow....

That morning I went there to do some job, to receive some slates. It was fucking cold. It had snowed. It had snowed till quite low elevation, I'm no more than 300 m high. I noticed all the cacti had a few centimeters of snow on them. To make this even worse, it had been raining quite a lot, so the cacti were plumped and fatty. The curious me decided to let the snow be, and not clear it, I figured what the hell, I would like to see what kind of scars snow causes! And also see their overall hardiness. Well I did see that!

The next day I went to work with the slates a bit and I understood Myrtillocacti were seriously fucked. Did not do any thing. There have been some rains to, but I decided to leave uncovered - not that covering them would be so hard.

So here they are now. some 40 days after the snow, some tips were not caloused and rot was eating them. I cut some of them to find some were already fucked.

Some nice imagery bedore the massacre.....

P1010473.jpg

kk339. freshly planted there. in the begining it only showed some orange rot and to be able to escape, but eventually the rains killed its tip

P1010472.jpg

A seriously fucked myrti

P1010474.jpg

P1010475.jpg

P1010476.jpg

I saved a small mid cut of this.

PC pach , a winner. been planted there a long time though

P1010477.jpg

P1010478.jpg

Edited by mutant

these bridgesii plants come from a heavily propagated series of clones deriving from my first bridgesii cut I got from us. It has been planted there more than the kk339 but less than others. All 3 individuals in the particular spot have histories of stress additional to the already heavy propagative cloning. Rotting tips were cut [bittter!] and protected with nylons. It seems the stress history and rains didn't help them , even though some tips looks like surviving in the first.

P1010479.jpg

P1010480.jpg

P1010481.jpg

P1010482.jpg

P1010483.jpg

P1010485.jpg

P1010486.jpg

and some other myrtis . They myrtis should have been treated much earlier. Most of them will die.

P1010484.jpg

P1010487.jpg

P1010488.jpg

ehm maybe this should be in cactus forum? :BANGHEAD2:

P1010489.jpg

I noticed this in the photo: this mammi seems to have thrown a head from the base! priceless

P1010490.jpg

some fatty scop . will be putting more photos of this as it's quite special in some way

P1010494.jpg

stretsonia is also fine. a wider view

P1010505.jpg

This Pilosocereus has become and awesome colour. Too bad it does this only when it's dead!

P1010504.jpg

Alive!

P1010508.jpg

P1010507.jpg

This is the same clone is the bridgesiis. Planted on the spot more, the spot is mroe sunny and the particular clone had less stress history.

P1010499.jpg

Edited by mutant

Some cereus that collapsed.

P1010501.jpg

Another cereus

P1010502.jpg

A poor pachycereus pringley. I was sad about that. RIP

P1010503.jpg

Will this pup???

P1010514.jpg

Some columnars

P1010511.jpg

P1010510.jpg

Stenocereus thurberi. Sad about this too...

P1010509.jpg

some euphorbia. totally fucked

P1010506.jpg

another myrtis

I cut this tip of before I noticed it was the only myrti tip that was not dead. This was the biggest myrti I had. Dumb me. Although We had rainfall coming today again.

P1010498.jpg

P1010497.jpg

P1010496.jpg

Polaskia

P1010500.jpg

another bridgesii clone

P1010495.jpg

crop

P1010516.jpg

oh my, sorry for your losses mutant.

Interestingly, frostbite looks exactly like what happened to some fresh cuts that got accidentally moved into full sun/heat for a week while callousing. I suppose they are both forms of burning really.

I had it coming and let the snow on the tips and never did a thing for 40 days, so I should not complain. I see it as learning, that's why I decided to let the snow on , and boy did I learn!!!

Alice, actually these pics are 40 days after the frost bite. Myrtis were coloured like this the next day, sure, but most of the others needed addtional rain to be completely fucked up with rot through the burnt skin. Your comment still makes sense, like frost = burn. We say "the frost burnt the plants" don't we?

edited to say rot is also easy to take in sun burnt skin too!

Edited by mutant

:puke: thanks for the carnage

aww that sucks

I had it coming and let the snow on the tips and never did a thing for 40 days, so I should not complain. I see it as learning, that's why I decided to let the snow on , and boy did I learn!!!

Alice, actually these pics are 40 days after the frost bite. Myrtis were coloured like this the next day, sure, but most of the others needed addtional rain to be completely fucked up with rot through the burnt skin. Your comment still makes sense, like frost = burn. We say "the frost burnt the plants" don't we?

That would break your heart....I would be just devastated...Now we know what snow does but…I have a large cacti which is a feature of my house yard and the tips were going black as we were having too much rain..I thought she was in for it and I was ready to cut off the tips and stop the rot but thought best to wait a bit...glad I did she seems alright and is now flowering. Phhheeew! I dont even know what species as a mate just dropped in a cutting one day saying it was from Emerald in Central Qld and that its mum is huge. For some reason I can't seem to upload photos here so I will link you to my photo bucket account if you wish a look…Hope it works...I had a heap of other cacti in the ground with no trouble at all. My septic even crashed and one was sitting in raw sewerage for weeks and it didn't blink...probably held its nose but…biggrin.gif

http://i930.photobuc...Toomuchrain.jpg

http://i930.photobuc...llflowering.jpg

Cheers

Hutch

Ouch. That sucks mutant. I think mature stock from the "fat" group of trichs will be the hardiest against cold but again, snow just maybe is too much for most cacti except those from alpine areas of s.america of which there are a few species.

Hutch that is a cereus peruianus monstrose i think and that is an awesome frog visitor you have on that plant!

it was even worse because the frost came after a period of rain. and after the frost burn, lots of rain again.

I think better established plants would not have so much damage too. the best established bridgesii which also happened to be at a pretty sunny spot has not damage at all, as well as the fatty scop. - contrary to some bridgesii that were eventually fucked by the continuous wetness

trout once told me the terscheckii would be the best suiting plant for my climate. so yeah they're supposed to be hardy.

none of the ferocacti were damaged. echinocactus too. the kk339 is fine too, only a smallish pup below was fucked.

cool shots hutch! like the froggy

Edited by mutant

:(

It's a graveyard alright. I hope you can regrow these all back and stronger than ever. What do you think you might use for covers next time?

that is an awesome frog visitor you have on that plant!

Litoria fallax?? Eastern Dwarf Green Tree Frog???

I hope you can regrow these all back and stronger than ever.

there's no doubt I will grow these back and strong, no doubt about this, this was only the begining. Also planning my greenhouse finally this year.

What do you think you might use for covers next time?

Nook user Mitosis mentioned of styrofoam cups which sounds like an awesome and easy to apply idea.

Besides that, I intend to check on them the frosty mornings, remove the snow and place a naylon cover in damaged parts for protection from rain.

I could have minimized the loss, I just didn't go for it.

alright... some pruning had to be done again.

P1010543.jpg

you can;t imagine the stressfulhistory this cut has. watch the base. This was a rot that I managed to keep under control by cutting. he survived and bocame fatter in this specific point, as a bit of the vascular ring had been damaged.

P1010542.jpg

you're on you own with the styrofoams now!!

P1010557.jpg

the lot. see, disasters have the positive sides.

P1010541.jpg

P1010540.jpg

will the Stenocereus survive the wetness??