The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scientician

Stop stealing my seeds!!!

Got a lovely letter in the mail today stating that quarantine has once again intercepted my attempts to import viable Paulinia Cupana seeds & they are in no way negotiable about allowing the vine into the country.

Who do I have to Fuck/Shoot/Pay to obtain these plants?

Yeah I v'e been there a couple of times...

fark i dont bother anymore waste of coin

That plant has been on my list for ages and I always just assumed you could get it because it wasn't one of the "naughty" ones - and now I'm hearing we just can't have this plant? What's the reason? Bummer anyways...

Yeah what's odd too is that spore traders etc often insist that their product will make it through into Australia, but customs here are known for being super tight. Anyone ever tried spores and won or failed? What I wonder is how the hell they could detect something like that in one among millions of envelopes?

I think, and this is only from watching border security on tv, they have a scanner that shows up any organic matter in a difrent colour to the rest of the package.

I guess all of the ones detected are pulled aside and checked out. Maybe spores are a smaller volume and so are harder to detect. However there have been plenty of cases of them being detected.

there are unconventional ways for seeds to enter. hehehe. be creative.

can you just get them gamma-irradiated? they should ave given you that option...$40

Would there be any risk to the seeds though? I just did a quick google (because I assume they'd be affected) and came up with a study abstract that stated "Results show that maize, okra and groundnut seeds needed for planting can be safely stored using gamma irradiation. However, the study reveals that the number of germinated seeds and the growth rate for the crops decrease with increase in the radiation dose the seeds were exposed to."

Although, getting them in at all would likely be worth the reduction in germination/growth rate.

Buy a plane ticket and some super thick condoms, eat lots of codiene and pack that ass . Come back, sorted. :devil:

Buy a plane ticket and some super thick condoms, eat lots of codiene and pack that ass . Come back, sorted. :devil:

Why the negs? Seems like sound advice to me. Stupid advice. But advice none the less.

Was meant to be a joke, lighten up folks. :wink:

That plant has been on my list for ages and I always just assumed you could get it because it wasn't one of the "naughty" ones - and now I'm hearing we just can't have this plant? What's the reason? Bummer anyways...

This reply is VERY late sorry. The reason stated was potential to become an invasive species. Treatment wasn't even an option otherwise I would have just paid it & given it a crack.

I got some cactus seeds in without a problem. The only thing I've ever had opened was some cables and accessories for my iPhone that I ordered from Hong Kong. Receiving packages from certain countries would raise certain red flags (like the golden triangle) and the package I received didn't have the most professional packaging and it said 'gift' when it wasn't.

There are some products that are sold here that are also sold overseas but the overseas version might have a slightly different composition. I know guys who have had body building supplements confiscated by customs because there was something in the American version that wasn't allowed in the Australian version. The guys didn't know there was a difference at the time and it wasn't anything ultra bad like steroids etc. They didn't get in trouble though but they were upset that they lost their money.

Also, spore prints are easy to send because you can fit them in a tiny flat envelope. Customs and AQIS are most likely to go for things like parcels or containers that could have hidden compartments etc.

Yeah what's odd too is that spore traders etc often insist that their product will make it through into Australia, but customs here are known for being super tight. Anyone ever tried spores and won or failed? What I wonder is how the hell they could detect something like that in one among millions of envelopes?

100% success rate here and in my experience there's quite a few spore websites that refuse to ship to australia :(

Got a lovely letter in the mail today stating that quarantine has once again intercepted my attempts to import viable Paulinia Cupana seeds & they are in no way negotiable about allowing the vine into the country.

Who do I have to Fuck/Shoot/Pay to obtain these plants?

I bet it was a sneaky Brasilian working for AQIS :(

;-)

mate I definitely feel you on this one jesus they are tight, I mean is there anything that you can bring in.. SWIM had research chems confiscated yet apparently others got through, seems pretty hit and miss, although I'd say your seeds should get in over research chemicals but i reckon thats the whole point of this website, and the seed trade, so you can get things domestically.