post-8194-0-69168600-1294886372_thumb.jpg

post-8194-0-65727100-1294886385_thumb.jpg

post-8194-0-13843600-1294886362_thumb.jpg

post-8194-0-69168600-1294886372_thumb.jpg

post-8194-0-65727100-1294886385_thumb.jpg

Edited by webby

Found these an hour ago......

near Maclean, NNSW

nice one mate! if you pull them out carefully you can avoid tearing the base of the stem, and you get more mushroom.

nice one mate! if you pull them out carefully you can avoid tearing the base of the stem, and you get more mushroom.

but then your eating shit too!

but then your eating shit too!

adds some texture, and good for the immune system! that's if one were to actually consume said mushroom... pretty sure these have been collected for mycological studies only.

years ago when I first got into mushrooms I remember reading Paul Stamets book "Psilocybin mushrooms of the world" where he describes his very gentle and painstaking technique for lifting out a wild mushroom. insert a knife under the base of the mushroom and gently lift upwards, while pulling gently on the stem. for mycological studies (and accurate ID) it is important to have the whole mushroom intact, including the base of the stem. you can then scrape off the dirt/shit from the base with a knife. ever since reading that great book, I have tried to use this technique when possible.

I know, I know... its not necessary and is a pain in the ass, but since we here at this forum are primarily interested in mushrooms for mycological studies then its the best technique to use.

• Like 1

Yeh I did think about how I could have pulled em out better right after I had pulled them, but it was a stealth attack, I had to leap over a fence at the side of a main road so I didn't have a lot of time to be scientific, I would have liked to have taken photos in situ and stuff. but my heart was pumping lol.

Now I have a dilemma, cos I really want to eat them right now tonight but it's not the right day, set and setting are all wrong, so I have them in a paper bag, but I don't know how much potency they will lose over a week in a dark dry place.

I have read that the fresher they are the stronger they are, and I was tempted to just down them right there in the field, but age and wisdom prevailed.

Also, the last time I found similar specimens I waited for about 3 days then ate them and they were really really strong, I was surprised actually at the intensity of the visuals, definitely heaps better than acid.

So what are your opinions on how much potency they lose in a few days ?

thanks

webby

Ahh your a tricksta, it was all a dream right ? cause we all know its illegal to eat those type of fungi. If i was dreaming about that , i wouldn't be concerned about potency loss over a few days in a paper bag.

:lol:

Edited by Amazonian

Now I have a dilemma, cos I really want to eat them right now tonight but it's not the right day, set and setting are all wrong, so I have them in a paper bag, but I don't know how much potency they will lose over a week in a dark dry place.

You dont have to worry about them losing potency, because if you dont dry them out the little white larvae inside the mushroom will do that for you! You cant just leave them in a paper bag for a week and expect them to still be good, would you do that with food for example, and still eat it a week later? Same thing with shrooms, if you dont sufficiently dry them within 24 hours, the bugs will appear inside the mushroom and help nature along to break it down! Dried mushrooms, properly dried, lose very little potency according to a friends cousins uncles stepdaughts second cousin.

Also, does your friend know if the amount he has is enough for a fun time!?

adds some texture, and good for the immune system! that's if one were to actually consume said mushroom... pretty sure these have been collected for mycological studies only.

years ago when I first got into mushrooms I remember reading Paul Stamets book "Psilocybin mushrooms of the world" where he describes his very gentle and painstaking technique for lifting out a wild mushroom. insert a knife under the base of the mushroom and gently lift upwards, while pulling gently on the stem. for mycological studies (and accurate ID) it is important to have the whole mushroom intact, including the base of the stem. you can then scrape off the dirt/shit from the base with a knife. ever since reading that great book, I have tried to use this technique when possible.

I know, I know... its not necessary and is a pain in the ass, but since we here at this forum are primarily interested in mushrooms for mycological studies then its the best technique to use.

Well said, although a mate of mine was always under the impression that it was better, for future samples and identification, to leave the butts in the shit(no pun intended), maybe not particularly necessary for this strain of badboys, but its a good karmic thing i guess. I guess each persons perception is correct!

I think that scissors to cut them at the base is the best way to collect, then the other specimens in the bag don't get all dirty.

If you want to store them to eat at a later date (say, if you lived in Indonesia) then dry them in front of a fan for 2 days until they don't seem to get any drier, then finish them off in a paper bag in full sun for a few hours. Once crispy dry store them in airtight container or Plastic zip-close sandwich bag.

Love indonesia... :P

then finish them off in a paper bag in full sun for a few hours.

I was under the impression that putting them in the sun for a couple hours would reduce their potency(not greatly, but i guess this varies with each individual mushroom), a friend has attempted a sun dry before and he says their is a little bit of a difference between sun-dried and fan-dried mushrooms, although in my opinion this would be very hard to tell. My mates dad's favourite technique is to put them in front of an air conditioner at about 25 degrees, he says they are finished(depending on the amount dried) between 8-14 hours instead of 48 hours!

I've heard of peeps just flicking them to release some spores,twisting them out and eating them fresh after scraping a bit of dung off?

If I was in a country where legal.....

I know when we were teenagers the drug takin criminals around our area used to put em in a jar of honey for a few days/weeks to preserve em. Helped with the taste also, supposedly.

Is this still done for short term storage?

best way for short term storage (less than a week) is in the refrigerator or freezer. but strong oxidation will ensue an hour or so after removing them from the cold environment, so gotta be quick :)

honey method with fresh shrooms - specially big thick types like cubensis, (gold tops) will result in a really disgusting thin watery honey as the water from the mushrooms makes its way into the honey.. If you are going to use honey dry the mushrooms first. Drying shrooms is easy, for something like goldies it can be worth threading them onto a piece of thread with a needle through the stem and hanging them up somewhere dry and breezy - like in front of a fan.

You've only got two shrooms there so putting em somewhere dry and breezy shouldn't be too hard. Some ovens have a fan that stays on without the heat being on - this can be useful. Given the amount of rain lately you shouldn't have much trouble finding others if the maggots get to those two.

Another method taken from an old grow guide is to use desiccant, (like damp rid) just google it.

Mushrooms like other fruit have a weak spot at the base that when twisted and pinched will easily seperate. Anyone who's grown any sort of mushrooms off BRF should know what i'm talking about, and that's the method most mushroom hunting websites will suggest. In real life though the substrate the mushroom is growing in can make the task of the perfect pick impossible.

Personally I always carry scissors around with me when picking mushrooms, saves time when picking and saves time later when cleaning/drying too.

I'm a firm believer that mushrooms should be picked a little after the veil has opened. If we were to use the mushroom on the left as an example, I would've left that for half a day to a day longer till I picked it. This is the not only the optimum time to pick for edibility but it's the point where the mushroom does a huge spore drop. They continue to drop spores till the end of the life cycle but at this point millions of spores have dropped anyway and the mycelium is feeding water into a maturing mushroom that it could be using on it's next flush. If you pick early, your next flush will come earlier and bigger, thus spreading more spore variability.

If you leave the stem or a butt you're also contributing to the spreading of spores as a lot of spores once released will land on the stem.

Lovely looking cubes, nice and thick :)

sources say drying on a oil heater overnight (on low) wrapped in a shadecloth type material will dry to crisp (crumbly) with no noticable loss in potency.

I was under the impression that putting them in the sun for a couple hours would reduce their potency(not greatly, but i guess this varies with each individual mushroom), a friend has attempted a sun dry before and he says their is a little bit of a difference between sun-dried and fan-dried mushrooms, although in my opinion this would be very hard to tell. My mates dad's favourite technique is to put them in front of an air conditioner at about 25 degrees, he says they are finished(depending on the amount dried) between 8-14 hours instead of 48 hours!

Fan dried first, but assuming he lives in a humid area (if he picked these locally then the weather WILL be humid) then fan drying won't get them cracker dry.

The amount of moisture left in the mushroom when fan drying is directly dependant on the relative humidity. Thus, once as dry as they will get, finishing them off in the sun is a good option - and as they should only need a couple of hours, and if they are covered (in a paper bag) it won't hurt the potency too much.

This is just an easy option for drying only 2 mushrooms that would require you to buy nothing (eg. dessicant).

Also, never ever freeze fresh mushrooms, they will be ruined.

honey method with fresh shrooms - specially big thick types like cubensis, (gold tops) will result in a really disgusting thin watery honey as the water from the mushrooms makes its way into the honey.. If you are going to use honey dry the mushrooms first. Drying shrooms is easy, for something like goldies it can be worth threading them onto a piece of thread with a needle through the stem and hanging them up somewhere dry and breezy - like in front of a fan.

You've only got two shrooms there so putting em somewhere dry and breezy shouldn't be too hard. Some ovens have a fan that stays on without the heat being on - this can be useful. Given the amount of rain lately you shouldn't have much trouble finding others if the maggots get to those two.

Another method taken from an old grow guide is to use desiccant, (like damp rid) just google it.

The criminal types i knew never found that to be much of a problem. They mighta used more honey or different mushrooms or somesuch.

Also, never ever freeze fresh mushrooms, they will be ruined.

yep they go to a blue slimy mess after about 20 minutes... but if you pulled them out, blended them in a smoothie and drank ASAP I reckon the loss of alk's would be very low.

Edited by kalika

Nice find. Chance are with the recent humidity in melb you could have - if the timing was right - easily fruited cubies here.

:scratchhead: SA?

I know someone who knows someone I met once who was friends with another persons friend who knows of a few places that might show potential after the next batch of rain we have coming!!!

When that person above mentioned has had a look I will find out the results and post!

:shroomer:

Good hunting.

Inspired me to have a look around this afternoon - no luck, though I did find some of the encouraging toadstools I usually find when conditions are right.

:scratchhead: SA?

I know someone who knows someone I met once who was friends with another persons friend who knows of a few places that might show potential after the next batch of rain we have coming!!!

When that person above mentioned has had a look I will find out the results and post!

:shroomer:

fraid not mate, maclean is northern nsw...gosta wait a bit longer 'round these parts...