The Corroboree
ubza_1234

don't cha hate it when..

That's awful. 

To give ya something else to focus on...

I had to emergency graft a Sharxx Blue x TPM crest that started to get patches of black rot a few days ago.

Once they take ill send ya

It's OK change, I have plenty more! I've moved on already.

don't you just hate it when - false patriotism

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

don't cha hate it when..

Australia Post mongrels crush your 'hard to find' tricho clone in transit.  :(

WP_20170420_13_20_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20170420_13_20_22_Pro.thumb.jpg.dd3531d64c69aa4efa9dd5581836fe36.jpg

WP_20170420_13_20_22_Pro.thumb.jpg.dd3531d64c69aa4efa9dd5581836fe36.jpg

• Like 2

@Skellum wow man that sucks something fierce , was she salvageable.

don't you hate it when  ...Australia post, I really despise your current business model and performance 

thank you sincerely 

• Like 1

Well, I cut the tip and the arse off the bridgesii man, check this out
This is the length I'm left with... just over 5cm tip, and 5cm bottom (where the union was). Mid section had to go.

TopnBottom.thumb.jpg.1fac5bba6d4b7b582205f75b7ed34fb2.jpg Side on view of tip and bottom to give you an idea of the length im playing with.

But its got this sort of hollowing going on inside it, I can't tell if it was from the crushing, or if it was hollow when it was growing. Do new pups/trichos in general grow hollow at all, ever, or hollow near the union?
Hollow.thumb.jpg.cdd68e89fbb602e1db54d94bc5dc4756.jpg Cross Sectional Area view of the tip and bottom to give you an idea of the existing hollowing that I will have to work with.

And this is the midsection that was totally lost, its been crushed, bruised and mashed, hollow straight through too - You can see through it...
58fb307ecf35e_MidSection.thumb.jpg.436bb93b18722a8d5a75015b6cc3455a.jpg Cross Sectional Area view of the mid section that was totally lost due to crushing, see its hollow through.

But the hollowing in the tip and bottom, don't seem to be crushed or bruised, they honestly seem like they may have been growing hollow? Not even sure if this is possible though? anyone confirm?
Little concerned bout planting the base with the cavity facing upways, as it will pool water inside and surely result in rot... Maybe I log that bottom piece and lay him sideways, so water doesn't pool? lol
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note: You're surely correct about Aus Post being a pack of mongrel bastards. My mum worked for them for nearly 20 years as a motorbike rider & parcel delivery driver, was directly employed in Sydney by them - but when she moved up north and transfered, she had to get an ABN and contract to them instead, doing the same role. They punted her late september last year for mail tampering after 7 years on the Midnorth coast and 11 in Sydney working for them. A local spiteful lowlife video recorded her jumping with fright from a spider in the mail box, accidentially dropping her letters and stamping on the spider - video looks like shes trampling mail (god knows why youd do that intentionally) but they punted her for in proper use of the scanner and mail tampering. Only to BEGGGG for her return 8 weeks Later at Christmas time when they couldn't fucking work out how to do her post run/find a replacement quick enough. She told them to bash the job up their arses and get roger'd while they're at it basically. So yeah they are bastards. She lost fuckloads of super leaving sydney too - Aus post have like a protected super scheme, as long as your working for them. The moment your terminated they boot u from the fund. And it gets put into a "holding scheme" or someshit untill u nominate the new super account. During that process thousandssssss was lost, i think maybe cause the holding scheme has heaps higher rates/fees (not entirely sure) but they failed to notify her of this so thousands was drained till she picked up on it. they're shifty as all fuck.

TopnBottom.thumb.jpg.1fac5bba6d4b7b582205f75b7ed34fb2.jpg

Hollow.thumb.jpg.cdd68e89fbb602e1db54d94bc5dc4756.jpg

58fb307ecf35e_MidSection.thumb.jpg.436bb93b18722a8d5a75015b6cc3455a.jpg

TopnBottom.thumb.jpg.1fac5bba6d4b7b582205f75b7ed34fb2.jpg

Hollow.thumb.jpg.cdd68e89fbb602e1db54d94bc5dc4756.jpg

58fb307ecf35e_MidSection.thumb.jpg.436bb93b18722a8d5a75015b6cc3455a.jpg

Edited by Skellum
Add more info & pix
  • Like 2

Wow do you think you'll be able to root them , I had a couple of tips that where half destroyed all banged up and only about 5 cm I was about to save they took 12 months to show any signs of growth but took off in the last month putting on extreme girth hope you have some luck saving them , To me it sort of looks like the top might be some slight crush injury damage but your right that bottom section does look like it was hollow to begin with which is extremely interesting , would be interested to hear what someone more experience has to say , was it a pup or a degraft be interesting to know if it's affected by rate of growth and water content but personally I've never seen anything like it 

Edited by fozzking
  • Like 1

Well this is a tricho, and its a clone so it wasnt seed grown. How/why would you ever graft a tricho clone cutting to anything, do people even do it? what benefit would you get really, the rate of growth wouldn't be greatly improved would it? Cause your just attaching a tricho to another tricho arent you? and because its a cutting, not a seedling its going to be probably girthy to begin with (much more than a seedling anyway) making a pere graft with established tricho material pointless/impossible?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, as far as i know original plant is just a clone named 'Bridgesii Potent' (bit of a sus name, i know) that was growing normally either in a pot or in the ground. And the specific cut I got was bout a 20cm pup from one of the larger plants. It was a pup that was cut at the union join. Nothing was a degraft or anything like that, as far as i know.

Hope this makes sense, I may be confused myself - still really new to growing.

Edited by Skellum
  • Like 2

And I hope I will be able to root them, I've been warned trying to grow a tip that is only 5-6cm's long may result in SEVERE etoliation.
A mate recommended I try to remove the top 1cm off the tip - leaving a stump style cutting, then once it roots and starts growing. It will throw a new PUP from the tip and potentially grow normally, without etoliation, which may occur if I was to just continue growing that small tip, as a tip. If u know what I mean?

Lol your right I don't know what I was talking about hah yes it's been a long day don't blame me for brain misfire of course it's not a degraft lol what I was really trying to ask wether it was grown in a pot or not , and watering and lightings conditions is where I think I was going with that lol , maybe stretching without sufficient water would cause small cracks to form in the connective tissue between then cactus bark in the centre and the flesh and as it grows it's stretch it into a cavity that slightly calluses  ?????? Or the posty did the best job of mashing a cactus I've seen yet either way , I'm sad at the loss at what looks like would have been a nice cactus 

yeah ah I must agree the etoliation is severe but cutting at the new growth once it reach about 12-15 of new growth and rooting that piece caused it to fatten out on its on two feet so to speak and the piece it was cut from started throwing pups turning my little tips I thought where lost into 3 small but fair size cactus , there strong they will come back if you let them do there thing 

Best of luck anyway mate 

Lol your right I don't know what I was talking about hah yes it's been a long day don't blame me for brain misfire

Not at all mate, I've seen the action going on in your trade rep over the last few hrs. Your heads obviously in a different place. Hope it all works out man.

ANYWAY, maybe this hollowing was caused by improper care, but maybe its just the luck of the draw, OR MAYBE its hollowed out from a freak Australia Post Crushing incident. Who knows, I'll try to make the most of what I've got left. I don't think it was hollowed out due to lack of water or neglect in any way. The member who I purchased it from (spooge) is a tricho freak who really knows how to take care of his plants, so I doubt it was deficient in anything.

It may not even of been growing hollow, I'll never know... Upon dissection it certainly seems that it could of been though!

Edited by Skellum
Condensing the Dribble

yeah I agree especially if it was from spooge , fantastic though atleast it inspired some conversation at the very least if nothing else good comes out of it , cheers mate 

best of luck with your cactus regeneration attempts 

I saved a rare clone from rot by grafting what was left of the tip on to pc. It grew fatter than the pc. About a year later I cut the graft in half and planted the tip. The remaining piece of graft on the pc has now pupped. Happy days.

You could also try areole grafting. You'd get a few out of that base and still be able to plant it.

Infact, upon closer inspection, tip and areole grafting would be your best bet. That damage is severe and likely to rot anyway. Good luck and may the force be with you on this one.

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 2

I'm getting another package from spooge soon, he said he will try to look for a small pup of same said clone to replace this munted one.
Hes a good bastard aye, I told him not to worry as its not his fault. We'll see what arrives in the mail. :)

@Halcyon Daze I've only started collecting cacti in the last 6 weeks or so, so I'm still green as hell, but I'm keen as hell.
What do you mean by 'areole grafting' exactly, would you be able to show me a pic or two please?

• Like 2

though atleast it inspired some conversation at the very least if nothing else good comes out of it

That's right mate, I've never cut a cactus before. See my bloody pizza cutter out there? hahaha (best thing I could find)

Don't worry it wasn't a pizza wheel or anything as bad as that... Was a big pizza stone blade with no handle, that has NEVER touched a pizza (or any food).. Ghetto as hell I know, was wiped with alcohol prior to use though.

Sorry for this massive dribble fest people - probably belongs in the "What did you do to your cacti today?" thread over this one here... Started out as a bitch toward Aus Post initially though.

• Like 1

Yar sorry peeps, Just google the phrase 'areole grafting' and whatever you do, avoid the phrase 'areola grafting' I kid you not.

Don't cha hate it when you accidently graft your areolas instead of your areoles :(

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 2

Dchiw you've worked so many days in a row you don't know what day it is.

• Like 3

Certainly do Glaukus, 21 days straight was a particularly bad stretch for me, 70+ hour weeks 7 days a week (Barangaroo, Construction Stage 1 - Tower 3).
6 Days was the norm, you needed to have a funeral to get a Saturday off...

Had to get on the sweetpuff just to keep up. Fuck Sydney, and fuck the endless ratrace. That joint broke me...

• Like 1

SO SICK of this "cactus of the 4 winds" bullshit. when I can be fucked im gunna go out and take a photo of every 4 ribbed cacti I have and make a post about it.

ffs people they just revert anyway, and while were at it, same with melted wax, 90% of them revert. I feel guilty every time I sell one.

Edited by godless

Well, I cut the tip and the arse off the bridgesii man, check this out

This is the length I'm left with... just over 5cm tip, and 5cm bottom (where the union was). Mid section had to go.

TopnBottom.thumb.jpg.1fac5bba6d4b7b582205f75b7ed34fb2.jpg Side on view of tip and bottom to give you an idea of the length im playing with.

But its got this sort of hollowing going on inside it, I can't tell if it was from the crushing, or if it was hollow when it was growing. Do new pups/trichos in general grow hollow at all, ever, or hollow near the union?

Hollow.thumb.jpg.cdd68e89fbb602e1db54d94bc5dc4756.jpg Cross Sectional Area view of the tip and bottom to give you an idea of the existing hollowing that I will have to work with.

And this is the midsection that was totally lost, its been crushed, bruised and mashed, hollow straight through too - You can see through it...

58fb307ecf35e_MidSection.thumb.jpg.436bb93b18722a8d5a75015b6cc3455a.jpg Cross Sectional Area view of the mid section that was totally lost due to crushing, see its hollow through.

But the hollowing in the tip and bottom, don't seem to be crushed or bruised, they honestly seem like they may have been growing hollow? Not even sure if this is possible though? anyone confirm?

Little concerned bout planting the base with the cavity facing upways, as it will pool water inside and surely result in rot... Maybe I log that bottom piece and lay him sideways, so water doesn't pool? lol

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note: You're surely correct about Aus Post being a pack of mongrel bastards. My mum worked for them for nearly 20 years as a motorbike rider & parcel delivery driver, was directly employed in Sydney by them - but when she moved up north and transfered, she had to get an ABN and contract to them instead, doing the same role. They punted her late september last year for mail tampering after 7 years on the Midnorth coast and 11 in Sydney working for them. A local spiteful lowlife video recorded her jumping with fright from a spider in the mail box, accidentially dropping her letters and stamping on the spider - video looks like shes trampling mail (god knows why youd do that intentionally) but they punted her for in proper use of the scanner and mail tampering. Only to BEGGGG for her return 8 weeks Later at Christmas time when they couldn't fucking work out how to do her post run/find a replacement quick enough. She told them to bash the job up their arses and get roger'd while they're at it basically. So yeah they are bastards. She lost fuckloads of super leaving sydney too - Aus post have like a protected super scheme, as long as your working for them. The moment your terminated they boot u from the fund. And it gets put into a "holding scheme" or someshit untill u nominate the new super account. During that process thousandssssss was lost, i think maybe cause the holding scheme has heaps higher rates/fees (not entirely sure) but they failed to notify her of this so thousands was drained till she picked up on it. they're shifty as all fuck.

oddly enough it's T' arboricola that I saw this hollowing on before

sadly it rotted though and is no longer ...

: /

- will have to whip the posties with a terscheckii instead then eh? I reckon they'll take the haulage.. and sounds more deserved

i have no explanation on why hollowing occurs but it definitely can and does

best thing i can think of to suggest is to sulphur the cut bits and go easy on the water when/if you get it rooted

keep it dry in the meantime (indoors is maybe ideal?)

and try to grow it out and then remove the hollowing bits if they still exist by that time

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

Yeah both pieces are healing nicely, tis indoors drying out well. Zero sign of rot or further bruising, seems as though it was definitely growing hollow judging by how its healing.
I shall pot the two pieces up in another fortnight or so, then nurse indoors in drysoil pots over winter, watering only if they start turning saltana-ish... Hopefully I'll get two plants, or at least one out of it.

Straya Post - Turds they are!

• Like 1

dchiw you get out of bed at 5am on a sunday morning and go to work only to get there and realise your boss didn't tell you they're actually closed today. 

• Like 1

DCHIW ya going in for a swag of blood tests and they be flat out at pathology and everyone before ya is a young child that screams their guts out.

• Like 1

^Yeah man... in Indian culture they refuse to discipline the child before they are 5 years old. It might be Hindu but I honestly think its India wide. After 5 y/o they drill they to become or dentists or GP's, so I guess it evens out lol... When I was living in Western Sydney, you'd be waiting in the doctors packed waiting room... Only 20% aussies in there... every Indian child HOWLLLING...

I'd give the parents the stink eye and they wouldn't do shit, EVER. Incredibly grating...

Edited by Skellum