The Corroboree
mac

ID

Ok i picked up some seed from ebay, first batch i planted a couple of yrs back when i first joined here i grabbed some pachanoi, bridgesii & peruvianus.

Well My labels rubbed off :rolleyes: but im sure only some pach & bridgesii germinated i eventually picked out some of the better plants & re potted a few

It may be a bit early to tell but i was wondering if anyone would like to have a go at a ID on this young plant around 2yo i think

DSCF0026.jpg

i have my suspicions but would like to get opinions from others who grow from seed

here is a pic of another from the same batch of seed i put next to a old bit of roo carcus my 8yo landscaped the garden with lol

DSCF0037.jpg

cheers

mac

Edited by mac

Jeez your 8 yr old knows what he's doing , top grade fert and an interesting conversation piece! lol. Your seedling looks like T.cuzco which you would have bought as T. peruvianus , dont worry seems alot are doing it even still. :blush:

holy shit love the big pot of lophs man , they wont need to be re-potted for some time!

By T. cuzco i mean T. peruvianus / cusco , looks like my Gnosis plant.... good stuff mac

I agree, the first one looks like a cuzco. The second one more like a normal peruvianus.

Love the roo carcass landscaping!

In my eyes 1st one looks a bit or might look in the future like gnosis and steve [named ozzie peruvs] , and my own seed grown which MS Smith said looks like a cuzco. The second looks like what people [incl. MS SMith] regard as proper peruv, it seems.

What's interesting is that noone said gnosis or steve look like cuzco so far, while IMO they do look like others that are characterized as such. But it might be that I have confuse what cuzco is supposed to be..

in any case threads like this are educational and interesting for Tricho afficionados!

PS/edit: yep, pot full of lophos rulezz

Edited by mutant

By T. cuzco i mean T. peruvianus / cusco , looks like my Gnosis plant

Gnosis looks like a cuzco , there i said it

I would consider Gnosis a cuzco from the pics I've seen of it.

So 'gnosis' [=knowledge , in greek] is therapeutically dud ?!??!?

I'd say both are T. cuzcoensis. The second is a bit more immature and therefore a bit more difficult to tell, but it has the tell-tale sign of the thicker leaning horn-colored spine base. Hard to believe those are still going around as T. peruvianus after all this time...oh well. I grew so many of these in the past and had so many come into the collection in trades, etc., that I ended up tossing a ton over my fence to rot when I figured I needed more space for other plants and I couldn't get myself to trade or sell them off as T. peruvianus...no one wanting T. cuzcoensis for some strange reason. Go figure.

~Michael~

Thanks guys i had suspected cuzcoensis.

ill post up some more pics of lophs grafted compared to on roots of the same age once i upload some pics & dig up my old thread

30 X 2yo seedlings in that large pot i pricked out & transplanted just before spring :wub:

i do plan on trading a few next season for a couple of plants im after

Edited by mac

why does no one like cuzcoensis?

why does no one like cuzcoensis?

Zero Ethno value i assume. but i have heard otherwise, strange because alot of Perus are zero Value too. just one of those things i suppose. :scratchhead:

strange because alot of Perus are zero Value too

True, but at least those perus look the part. Cuzcos are just spiny mofos.

tripsis what do you mean

at least those perus look the part

?????

Cuzcos are wondefully spiny, beautiful cacti, bearing hardcore spines making it pretty hard to handle, not unlike the spiniest paruvs.

Reason why most people don't want them is the same reason for which you mostly see bridgesiis pachanois and lophos in ethnoheads cacti collection and not much else.

Some argue that not all cuzco are duds, and there seems to be some truth in it...

Hard to believe those are still going around as T. peruvianus after all this time.........no one wanting T. cuzcoensis for some strange reason

not hard at all to believe. 'peruvianus' sells better.

This discussion, ("ethno value") is best left for private messages i think. I understand people could all go on for pages and pages in regards to this but it is just one of the things we cant allow im sorry.

tripsis what do you mean

Personal opinion and preference as to the aesthetic beauty of the cacti being discussed.

I think some of the cuzco plants look really nice, the top pic of macs is a really nice one. The colours of the spines when they are young, going from almost black through to a honey yellow looks cool although when they get older and all the spines below the tip are that crappy white colour it sorta loses its appeal for me. They are a tricho though, gotta get em all :P

I think some of the cuzco plants look really nice

I like them & plan to use a couple out the front on my nature strip as drunks & teenagers usually pull out anything else i plant out there :devil:

Sure, the new growth is nice and when they get a slight blueness to them they look good, but more often that not they're just plain green with long white spines, etc. It's all just personal preference though. If I had my own land, I'd probably have a couple, but seeing as I don't I have to be more selective.

They are a tricho though, gotta get em all

:lol:

new spines can be intense orange reddish ['pachanoi' kk 2150]. I think they're very beautiful for those who like heavily spined cacti.

yeah we go for variety, just like poke'mon