The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bogfrog

is anyone good at identifying crests?

hey we just brought this cool as crest recently, it looks kinda trichy but who know it really could be anything.

i know it might be a long shot but has anyone seen one like this before and might know what it could be?

take a guess?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56226923@N07/?saved=1

maybe a Mammillaria of some sort?

a quick google image for trichocereus crests will give you somethings to consider-

t.huasca looks close

wrong spine colour for spachianus, could just be a echinopsis

fuck i have no idea, :lol:

sorry i couldnt help.

you could try grafting an areole that alledgely will give you the actual plant instead of another crest.

very nice though you've made a freak collector again very jealous of n.z

a quick google image for trichocereus crests will give you somethings to consider-

t.huasca looks close

wrong spine colour for spachianus, could just be a echinopsis

fuck i have no idea, :lol:

sorry i couldnt help.

you could try grafting an areole that alledgely will give you the actual plant instead of another crest.

very nice though you've made a freak collector again very jealous of n.z

i tried google image and it really only came up with san p crests.

areole grafting is a bit beyond my skills at the moment haha i think there are a couple little pieces that look like they are reverting to normal growth.

jealous of nz? hah! u should c our "summers" ( 1 day rain. 1 day sun. 2 days rain. half a days sun. etc etc)

thanks for your suggestions tho :)

awesome collection

awesome collection

about 3 quarters of them are my boyfriends but i am proud of them too haha

Looks like an echinopsis crest but really could be anything, try an areole graft as suggested, best way to tell. IME lil echinopsis crests grow really fast.

ditto on echinopsis. if you dont want to do an areole graft. you can take a rooted section, and cut off the top crested part. Cut out all the apical mersitem section, this leaves only areoles, which will usually throw out normal pups that are easy to ID. same theory as areole grafting, but you dont have to graft anything, just cut.

hmm. areole grafting would certainly b a gud skill to have but the sort of this i guess you would need to be shown by someone who can do it succesfully, i have a mate who has a dream to aereole graft spirals of lophs round a pedro. which would look too awesome. stairway to heaven haha.

i have a mate who has a dream to aereole graft spirals of lophs round a pedro. which would look too awesome

That would be nuts! So many amazing pieces of living art could be made with grafting. Would love to do something like that one day.

no time like the present. go to some garden center buy some cheapo cacti, a blade and go practice :) you odn need to be shown in person, there is plenty online to get a good understanding, then go make some mistakes and learn :) thats how we all did it. even now after doing a ton of grafting i still fail a lot...so dont worry about it if it doesn work out right everytime.