The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
migraineur

Aussie Myco Supplies

Hey guys

I just posted this on Mushroom Bloke's forum. Here is a list of things that are commonly used in mycology (especially for the hobbyist mycophile) and where they can be bought in Australia.

Perlite and vermiculite can be bought in large quantities cheaply from hydroponics shops. Bunnings also has them but in small bags and you will save lots if you buy a big bag from a hydroponics shop.

Coir can be bought cheaply from hydroponics shops, Bunnings and other garden shops.

Mini greenhouses can be bought from Bunnings.

Rubbing alcohol (you can get this from Woolworths in the section where you get personal cleaning products). Don't buy it from a chemist as they are usually rip offs http://www.isocol.com.au/hhold.htm

100% isopropyl alcohol can be bought from Bunnings too. It's expensive as hell but it's good to use in your alcohol lamp whilst doing agar work. It comes in a spray bottle.

Rubber/latex gloves can be bought from the supermarket like Coles and Woolies.

Mason Jars http://www.redbacktrading.com.au/ (synthetic filter discs fit in these jars perfectly)

Coles also sells mason jars cheaply and you will not have to pay for shipping but synthetic filter discs don't fit. Tyvek should not be a problem for these jars.

Plasdene also sells jars http://www.plasdene.com.au/

Karo corn syrup (for liquid cultures) can be bought from David Jones. If you are in Perth then Kakulis Sisters in Fremantle sells it also.

Sawdust, wood chips and chopped straw for those in Perth can be bought from http://wajking.com.au/

If you are in Perth and you want bulk syringes and needles then go to a feed store. There is a feed store in Belmont called Bio John but there would be others around too. You can buy boxes of them cheaply and you don't get dirty looks like you're a junkie. This is what the pharmacist gave me when I asked if he had some. Wanker! http://www.bio-john.com.au/

If you want organic grain then check out http://www.looseproduce.com/ in Como (Western Australia). Other health food shops around Australia should have it too.

www.crownscientific.com.au sells agar and other scientific stuff in Australia but you have to register so they can make sure you are not a terrorist.

This place sells petri dishes and other great gear for your myco lab http://www.wiltronics.com.au/

This place also sells lab equipment etc www.labtek.com.au

This is another place for your lab needs http://www.livingstone.com.au/

This link isn't Australian but I find it helpful. www.mycosupply.com has all your myco needs. This is where I get my ready made agar (among other things). It saves me time, money and effort.

If you want an analogue hygrometer then you can get a Western Instruments analog hygrometer for $5 USD on Ebay. Amazon.com also sells them. Some places might have them for a few dollars more. It's a lot cheaper buying them from overseas. Don't use a digital hygrometer because they aren't so good for our needs and they stuff up if the humidity is too high = /

That's about all I can think of right now. A lot of what you need can be bought from Coles/Woolies and Bunnings such as bleach, paper towels, aluminium foil and spray bottles etc. Please feel free to add to my list.

Regards

Migraineur

• Like 2

Good list, you've got a decent variety of places there.

Use metho for your alcohol. Cheap and as effective as anything else you can get easily.

Another decent science related supplies store is proscitech.com.au

Fantastic list! I was also going to add that metho is a good substitute for sanitizing and alcohol lamps, works a treat.

Oh - and for liquid cultures, 50% clear honey and 50% pure maple syrup is fantastic, then you also get to eat pure maple syrup on your ice cream when you get the munchies - everyone's a winner.

Thanks for compiling this!

Edited by Hyphal
  • Like 1

I was thinking it would be good if members from various states contributed to this. For example, someone in Melbourne might say "if you need straw and needles then go to this feed store in *insert town here*" etc. We could maybe compile a document of helpful places and host in on this site or something and continue to update it.

any farm store or pet shop will sell hay on the cheap, i get it fir my rabbit...

Edited by gogogadget

Great list, thank you!

MycoSupply seems to think it'd cost me over $100 to ship some damn inoculation loops... Adding other things just makes it go even higher...

As a side note, eBay is pretty awesome for smaller things if you only need a few. Picked up 24x 9m of 1.2cm microspore tape for $17 or something silly.

Also, whilst this could be considered necroing a thread, this is a great list and everyone should check it out if they're considering ordering some things :)

Any idea where I could get my hands on some pre-mixed agar powder? I know of a seller on ebay but he only sells it in a package with petri dishes. I want to use it for 10x50mm test tubes with injection ports instead.

Any idea where I could get my hands on some pre-mixed agar powder? I know of a seller on ebay but he only sells it in a package with petri dishes. I want to use it for 10x50mm test tubes with injection ports instead.

southernbiological go to pricelist and then search through it...

IMO much easier/cheaper to make it yourself...agar from asiashop + dextrose + potatobroth

• Like 1

its alot cheaper to mix it yourself. Then just buy agar from the Asian supermarket.

If anyone needs horse poo in western sydney I have the motherload. Pm me if you need some

Aussi Mushroom Supplies.com is the one that sells the agar and dishes on ebay but he sells them separate on his website. Everything for the amateur mycologist (including inoculation loops).

Other than Southern Biological, another place that sells pre-made, pre-sterilised agar plates is Mycologia.

Symonds Seeds (in Perth) sells bulk grains ie - Can offer 40 kg bags cereal rye seed at $54.78 each (incl GST), Whole wheat in 20 kg bags at $15.65 each (incl GST)

Cheers,

Edited by einseins

when it comes to equipment

www.aussimushroomsupplies.com

&

shaman australis

everything you need in 2 sites

if you want verm perlite etc.

hardware stores bunning etc.

done deal haha :)

you dont need to buy everything from ten different places

For everything you need from a single aussi online mycOlogy outlet can be found at www. Aussimushroomsupplies.com he also does shittake and other edible prints and l/ c of those as well as steralizing substrates ;). Hope that helps

I bought some from the country brewer shop. Probably better places than that but here is the link

Edited by tipz

you can get caning jars from

i highly recomend

very nice and very helpful guy :)

in the way of equipment

pretty much anything aussi mushroom supplies doesnt have

you can get from shaman australis

^Heaps better value than what i paid too.

Ill be going there next time for sure !

yeh theyre good value

and as i said the guy who runs it

is very nice and very helpfull

i had alot of trouble trying to find equipment until i found his website

and checked wat shaman australis had to

i think this thread should be pinned so people can find where to get equipment easily

without having to search around everywhere trying to find stuff

hey all was just having a quick look at where i can get some dessicant

and found this place

so i thought i'd post it here for anyone else looking for the stuff

australian website wich is always good

and they seem to have some decent prices

they've also got humidity indicator cards wich could be helpful

looks like theyve got a few things wich could be of help actually :)

http://www.silicagel.com.au/

so, does anyone know where i can get canning jars..? :rolleyes:

Just use plastic takeway containers instead. They survive heaps of cycles even autoclaving them, cheap at coles or wollies.

Make sure they are number 5 in the little recycling symbol and theyre quite well autoclaveable

and found this place

so i thought i'd post it here for anyone else looking for the stuff

australian website wich is always good

and they seem to have some decent prices

they've also got humidity indicator cards wich could be helpful

looks like theyve got a few things wich could be of help actually :)

http://www.silicagel.com.au/

Those are rather cheap. I paid $27 (inc. postage) for 1kg of silica a few months ago on eBay. Though, technically, it was 500g + 500g bonus.

Linky

If you're going to buy multiple similar things you're better off grabbing it from the one place, though :) The $4.95 flatrate is nice.

Damp-rid (calcium chloride) available at most hardwares is probably the most readily available source of dessicant and cheap too.

Just use plastic takeway containers instead. They survive heaps of cycles even autoclaving them, cheap at coles or wollies.

Make sure they are number 5 in the little recycling symbol and theyre quite well autoclaveable

Just make sure they don't come in direct contact with the bottom of the PC as they can melt. The Bottom of a PC can get hotter than the steam temp. A dinner plate makes a good insulator.

er, heh heh. I was trying to make a joke :blush:

If you ever UTSE for canning jars you always get a bunch of "Where can i get canning jars thread' threads.

i use the oven bags with the number 5 triangle fruit jar. Who came up with that i'll have to check

peace and fucking,

h.

hahaha

well now you know where to get real canning jars from

so you dont need to use your oven bags and your number 5 triangle fruit jars wat ever the fuck they are

hahaha :)

you can get caning jars from

i highly recomend

very nice and very helpful guy smile.gif

in the way of equipment

pretty much anything aussi mushroom supplies doesnt have

you can get from shaman australis

I too highly recommend Aussi Mushroom Supplies. Got an oyster print from them about a fortnight ago, quick delivery, good selection what more can you ask for? biggrin.gif

Edited by Shamanistic